wrong driver version

Kathy

wrong driver version
After fixing all my other problems I ran all of the latest update which went
fine. Now when I turn my computer on a little box comes up saying HD Audio
CPL at the top and wrong driver version below. What do I need to do to fix
this?
Malke

Re: wrong driver version
Kathy wrote:
> After fixing all my other problems I ran all of the latest update which went
> fine. Now when I turn my computer on a little box comes up saying HD Audio
> CPL at the top and wrong driver version below. What do I need to do to fix
> this?

Roll back the drivers to the ones that worked.

Roll Back Troublesome Device Drivers in Windows Vista from the How-To Geek:
http://tinyurl.com/346lox

If that doesn't work, uninstall the drivers and reinstall the right
ones. Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor. The older Aida32 is good for this, too although it might not
work on Vista.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.aumha.org/free.htm - Aida32 (hosted on Jim Eshelman's site)

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Kathy

Re: wrong driver version
I guess I forgot to say that I no nothing about computers. All it said was
install available updates. It didn't say what they were called so I don't
know what to uninstall. I don't even know what device worked and I have no
idea how to roll back anything. I didn't know I was installing a device
driver, it won't tell me what they are until after they are installed. I'm
sure that what you said makes perfect sense but not to me.

"Malke" wrote:

> Kathy wrote:
> > After fixing all my other problems I ran all of the latest update which went

> fine. Now when I turn my computer on a little box comes up saying HD Audio
> > CPL at the top and wrong driver version below. What do I need to do to fix
> > this?

> Roll back the drivers to the ones that worked.
>
> Roll Back Troublesome Device Drivers in Windows Vista from the How-To Geek:
> http://tinyurl.com/346lox
>
> If that doesn't work, uninstall the drivers and reinstall the right
> ones. Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:
>
> 1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
> 2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
> 3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
> computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).
>
> Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.
>
> To find out what hardware is in your computer:
>
> 1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
> 2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
> model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
> anyway)
> 3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
> Advisor. The older Aida32 is good for this, too although it might not
> work on Vista.
>
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
> http://www.aumha.org/free.htm - Aida32 (hosted on Jim Eshelman's site)
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: wrong driver version
Kathy wrote:
> I guess I forgot to say that I no nothing about computers. All it said was
> install available updates. It didn't say what they were called so I don't
> know what to uninstall. I don't even know what device worked and I have no
> idea how to roll back anything. I didn't know I was installing a device
> driver, it won't tell me what they are until after they are installed. I'm
> sure that what you said makes perfect sense but not to me.

That's fine and it's smart of you to recognize that this sort of thing
isn't your cup of tea. If you found the instructions at the How-To
Geek's site difficult, take the machine to a reputable computer repair
shop. This will not be your local version of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad.
Get recommendations from friends and colleagues. Tell the people at the
computer repair shop what you did and that you've been told to try and
roll back the audio drivers.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
CB

Re: wrong driver version

Kathy,

You should not let your updates install automatically. Set your updates to
download only. Once they are downloaded you should check each one before you
install it. You may or may not need the update.

Right click each update and select "Details". This will tell you what each
update is for.

Have a nice day.

C.B.