Help Vista won't start, Acronis software to blame.

Capt Tobias Willcock

Help Vista won't start, Acronis software to blame.
Right here's the scenario,

installed Acronis Disk Director Suite trial software last night, tried to
run the program resulting in instant blue screen, no error messages just a
blue screen.
Reset PC and restarted, tried again with same results. Restarted again and
immediately uninstalled Acronis software and restarted to complete
uninstallation.
System will now not start, Vista gets so far and then reboots. Tried
repairing with the Vista disk but it says it cannot repair.

I have a few things in my documents and on the desktop that I would somehow
like to retrieve, can I run set-up again without losing these files, I did
put the hard drive in an external caddy hoping to copy them on to my XP
machine but it won't allow me access to the documents and settings folder on
the Vista HDD!!!

Please help I been fiddling with it all day without any success.

Vista Ultimate Edition.

Victek

Re: Help Vista won't start, Acronis software to blame.
> installed Acronis Disk Director Suite trial software last night, tried to
> run the program resulting in instant blue screen, no error messages just a
> blue screen.
> Reset PC and restarted, tried again with same results. Restarted again and
> immediately uninstalled Acronis software and restarted to complete
> uninstallation.
> System will now not start, Vista gets so far and then reboots. Tried
> repairing with the Vista disk but it says it cannot repair.
>
> I have a few things in my documents and on the desktop that I would
> somehow like to retrieve, can I run set-up again without losing these
> files, I did put the hard drive in an external caddy hoping to copy them
> on to my XP machine but it won't allow me access to the documents and
> settings folder on the Vista HDD!!!
>
> Please help I been fiddling with it all day without any success.
>
> Vista Ultimate Edition.

Have a look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

Capt Tobias Willcock

Re: Help Vista won't start, Acronis software to blame.
> Have a look here:

Did not work I'm afraid.

Thanks anyway.

"Capt Tobias Willcock" <tobiaswillcock@coconutairways.com> wrote in message
>> Have a look here:

> Did not work I'm afraid.
>
> Thanks anyway.

Do you have a spare hard drive? You could install Vista on it and put your
other drive in the same machine. Then you should be able to get access to
the folders, assuming the data is not damaged (make sure you log in with an
Admin account). That's a fair bit of work, but if it's important to you...

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Help Vista won't start, Acronis software to blame.
Tobias

>> I did put the hard drive in an external caddy hoping to copy them on to
>> my XP machine but it won't allow me access to the documents and settings
>> folder on the Vista HDD!!!

On Vista, there is nothing in the Documents and Settings folder. That is a
junction that is only present for backward compatibility purposes with XP
programs.

All of your documents should be in the users folders at
C:\Users\UserName\Documents.

If the repair options with the Vista DVD failed, you may need to perform an
upgrade installation. Reboot with the Vista installation disk and go through
the steps to install, but select the Upgrade Installation. This should not
effect your programs and files.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> Right here's the scenario,
>
> installed Acronis Disk Director Suite trial software last night, tried to
> run the program resulting in instant blue screen, no error messages just a
> blue screen.
> Reset PC and restarted, tried again with same results. Restarted again and
> immediately uninstalled Acronis software and restarted to complete
> uninstallation.
> System will now not start, Vista gets so far and then reboots. Tried
> repairing with the Vista disk but it says it cannot repair.
>
> I have a few things in my documents and on the desktop that I would
> somehow like to retrieve, can I run set-up again without losing these
> files, I did put the hard drive in an external caddy hoping to copy them
> on to my XP machine but it won't allow me access to the documents and
> settings folder on the Vista HDD!!!
>
> Please help I been fiddling with it all day without any success.
>
> Vista Ultimate Edition.

Capt Tobias Willcock

Re: Help Vista won't start, Acronis software to blame.
Re-installed Vista, all the files I wanted to keep were thankfully saved to
a 'windows.old' folder.

Thanks for all your suggestions.