Re-Install vista

Merle

Re-Install vista
Hi all: I was wondering could I re-installed Vista Premium over the first
install and would it correct any file corruption that may have occurred in
the first install? And if so, would I lose any programs, files, drivers,
etc. that I have already installed? I don't want to have to go thru the
whole long drawn out process of starting from scratch. Any help you can
give me would be appreciated.

Lord Takyon

Re: Re-Install vista
"Merle" <planogram@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi all: I was wondering could I re-installed Vista Premium over the
> first install and would it correct any file corruption that may have
> occurred in the first install? And if so, would I lose any programs,
> files, drivers, etc. that I have already installed? I don't want to have
> to go thru the whole long drawn out process of starting from scratch. Any
> help you can give me would be appreciated.

Try repairing your installation first. I am not really familiar with how to
do this on Vista, not sure if it is any different from XP, but someone here
will be able to tell you. Running a disk check might also be a good idea.
There are probably several options available to you, but it would have
helped if you had provided more information, such as symptoms.

As for what will be left and what will need re-installing etc, not so sure,
that is probably more dependant on what method you use to correct your
problems.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

Merle

Re: Re-Install vista
I have tried to repair my installation. I have lost the ability to create a
restore point and I cannot make a back up. I have tried every solution
offered to me on the NG but nothing works. A re-install seems to be the
only way to me. I'm no expert on this subject but I thought it might be
worth a try.

"Lord Takyon" <takyon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Merle" <planogram@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hi all: I was wondering could I re-installed Vista Premium over the
>> first install and would it correct any file corruption that may have
>> occurred in the first install? And if so, would I lose any programs,
>> files, drivers, etc. that I have already installed? I don't want to
>> have to go thru the whole long drawn out process of starting from
>> scratch. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

> Try repairing your installation first. I am not really familiar with how
> to do this on Vista, not sure if it is any different from XP, but someone
> here will be able to tell you. Running a disk check might also be a good
> idea. There are probably several options available to you, but it would
> have helped if you had provided more information, such as symptoms.
>
> As for what will be left and what will need re-installing etc, not so
> sure, that is probably more dependant on what method you use to correct
> your problems.
>
> --
> Can't think of a sig at the moment.
> Read this instead.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Re-Install vista
Merle

Vista does not have the "repair install" option that you saw in XP. With
Vista, you can perform an in place "Upgrade" installation instead. This
should not effect any installed programs or personal files.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

>I have tried to repair my installation. I have lost the ability to create
>a restore point and I cannot make a back up. I have tried every solution
>offered to me on the NG but nothing works. A re-install seems to be the
>only way to me. I'm no expert on this subject but I thought it might be
>worth a try.
>
> "Lord Takyon" <takyon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Merle" <planogram@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi all: I was wondering could I re-installed Vista Premium over the
>>> first install and would it correct any file corruption that may have
>>> occurred in the first install? And if so, would I lose any programs,
>>> files, drivers, etc. that I have already installed? I don't want to
>>> have to go thru the whole long drawn out process of starting from
>>> scratch. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

>> Try repairing your installation first. I am not really familiar with how
>> to do this on Vista, not sure if it is any different from XP, but someone
>> here will be able to tell you. Running a disk check might also be a good
>> idea. There are probably several options available to you, but it would
>> have helped if you had provided more information, such as symptoms.
>>
>> As for what will be left and what will need re-installing etc, not so
>> sure, that is probably more dependant on what method you use to correct
>> your problems.
>>
>> --
>> Can't think of a sig at the moment.
>> Read this instead.