Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it bac

Petter

Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it bac
Office2007 and Vista search are not working any more on my machine. The
indexing service is running, but the control panel search options just keep
telling me it is waiting to receive indexing status, and all buttons are
greyed out (but cance ).

Is there a way to perhaps reset the indexing options, delete any indexes
that may be there and set it all up from scratch without reinstalling Vista
(which otherwise works beautifully by the way).

I suspect a low disk condition may be the cause of this error, but I no
longer have such a condition on the machine.

Thanks in advance!
Tim Smiley

RE: Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it bac
I am having the same issue. Disk space is not a problem. Indexing is still
runnig and functioning in both Outlook and Vista. I just cannot rebuild the
index or change any of the options.

"Petter" wrote:

> Office2007 and Vista search are not working any more on my machine. The
> indexing service is running, but the control panel search options just keep
> telling me it is waiting to receive indexing status, and all buttons are
> greyed out (but cance ).
>
> Is there a way to perhaps reset the indexing options, delete any indexes
> that may be there and set it all up from scratch without reinstalling Vista
> (which otherwise works beautifully by the way).
>
> I suspect a low disk condition may be the cause of this error, but I no
> longer have such a condition on the machine.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it bac
Petter

Go to the following website for a good tutorial on configuring and
rebuilding the Search Index.

Indexing Options - Vista x64 Forums:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...ons.html?ltr=I

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Petter" <Petter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Office2007 and Vista search are not working any more on my machine. The
> indexing service is running, but the control panel search options just
> keep
> telling me it is waiting to receive indexing status, and all buttons are
> greyed out (but cance ).
>
> Is there a way to perhaps reset the indexing options, delete any indexes
> that may be there and set it all up from scratch without reinstalling
> Vista
> (which otherwise works beautifully by the way).
>
> I suspect a low disk condition may be the cause of this error, but I no
> longer have such a condition on the machine.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Petter

Re: Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it
Thank you very much, Ronny, but unfortunately the problem is with image 1 on
the page you suggested. I get a message saying "Waiting to receive indexing
status..." and all buttons but close are greyed out.

Clearly Windows is confused and some sort of manual reset + deleting of
indexes seems in order, but how do I do that?

Petter

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Petter
>
> Go to the following website for a good tutorial on configuring and
> rebuilding the Search Index.
>
> Indexing Options - Vista x64 Forums:
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...ons.html?ltr=I
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Petter" <Petter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Office2007 and Vista search are not working any more on my machine. The
> > indexing service is running, but the control panel search options just
> > keep
> > telling me it is waiting to receive indexing status, and all buttons are
> > greyed out (but cance ).
> >
> > Is there a way to perhaps reset the indexing options, delete any indexes
> > that may be there and set it all up from scratch without reinstalling
> > Vista
> > (which otherwise works beautifully by the way).
> >
> > I suspect a low disk condition may be the cause of this error, but I no
> > longer have such a condition on the machine.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Tim Smiley

Re: Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it
The following action mentioned in the enclosed thred solved this issue for me:

If you are comfortable modifying the registry you can set the value of the
key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
Search\SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 0 and then reboot. This will delete
everything the indexer has currently indexed and start again.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...cdfc94bba8be5f

"Petter" wrote:

> Thank you very much, Ronny, but unfortunately the problem is with image 1 on
> the page you suggested. I get a message saying "Waiting to receive indexing
> status..." and all buttons but close are greyed out.
>
> Clearly Windows is confused and some sort of manual reset + deleting of
> indexes seems in order, but how do I do that?
>
> Petter
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
> > Petter
> >
> > Go to the following website for a good tutorial on configuring and
> > rebuilding the Search Index.
> >
> > Indexing Options - Vista x64 Forums:
> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...ons.html?ltr=I
> >

> > --
> >
> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >

> > "Petter" <Petter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Office2007 and Vista search are not working any more on my machine. The
> > > indexing service is running, but the control panel search options just
> > > keep
> > > telling me it is waiting to receive indexing status, and all buttons are
> > > greyed out (but cance ).
> > >
> > > Is there a way to perhaps reset the indexing options, delete any indexes
> > > that may be there and set it all up from scratch without reinstalling
> > > Vista
> > > (which otherwise works beautifully by the way).
> > >
> > > I suspect a low disk condition may be the cause of this error, but I no
> > > longer have such a condition on the machine.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it
Petter

Still in the process of researching this problem. In the mean time, try
this:

Open Windows Explorer, right click the system drive (Usually C and click
Properties. In the General Tab, make sure that "Index this drive for faster
searching" is checked.

--

> Thank you very much, Ronny, but unfortunately the problem is with image 1
> on
> the page you suggested. I get a message saying "Waiting to receive
> indexing
> status..." and all buttons but close are greyed out.
>
> Clearly Windows is confused and some sort of manual reset + deleting of
> indexes seems in order, but how do I do that?
>
> Petter
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Petter
>>
>> Go to the following website for a good tutorial on configuring and
>> rebuilding the Search Index.
>>
>> Indexing Options - Vista x64 Forums:
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...ons.html?ltr=I
>>

>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Petter" <Petter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Office2007 and Vista search are not working any more on my machine. The
>> > indexing service is running, but the control panel search options just
>> > keep
>> > telling me it is waiting to receive indexing status, and all buttons
>> > are
>> > greyed out (but cance ).
>> >
>> > Is there a way to perhaps reset the indexing options, delete any
>> > that may be there and set it all up from scratch without reinstalling
>> > Vista
>> > (which otherwise works beautifully by the way).
>> >
>> > I suspect a low disk condition may be the cause of this error, but I no
>> > longer have such a condition on the machine.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!

Petter

Re: Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it
This did the trick. Thank you so much, Tim for finding this fix. Seems to me
MS needs to put a "panic button" or better still have a more graceful
recovery from this problem.

Petter

"Tim Smiley" wrote:

> The following action mentioned in the enclosed thred solved this issue for me:
>
> If you are comfortable modifying the registry you can set the value of the
> key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> Search\SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 0 and then reboot. This will delete
> everything the indexer has currently indexed and start again.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...cdfc94bba8be5f
>

> "Petter" wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much, Ronny, but unfortunately the problem is with image 1 on
> > the page you suggested. I get a message saying "Waiting to receive indexing
> > status..." and all buttons but close are greyed out.
> >
> > Clearly Windows is confused and some sort of manual reset + deleting of
> > indexes seems in order, but how do I do that?
> >
> > Petter
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Petter
> > >
> > > Go to the following website for a good tutorial on configuring and
> > > rebuilding the Search Index.
> > >
> > > Indexing Options - Vista x64 Forums:
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...ons.html?ltr=I
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Ronnie Vernon
> > > Microsoft MVP
> > > Windows Shell/User

Donn Hatch

RE: Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it bac
thanks for the tip; it worked. I even reinstalled vista and couldn't get it
working. Many thanks!

"Petter" wrote:

> Office2007 and Vista search are not working any more on my machine. The
> indexing service is running, but the control panel search options just keep
> telling me it is waiting to receive indexing status, and all buttons are
> greyed out (but cance ).
>
> Is there a way to perhaps reset the indexing options, delete any indexes
> that may be there and set it all up from scratch without reinstalling Vista
> (which otherwise works beautifully by the way).
>
> I suspect a low disk condition may be the cause of this error, but I no
> longer have such a condition on the machine.
>
> Thanks in advance!

cornell2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had this same problem too (for weeks and weeks).

I've also tried the instructions in that link - apparently everything on the net links to Index - Windows Search Service

No luck (have tried it many times and many variations).

I have Vista-Home edition. Service pack 1 - all updates applied.

The Indexing Options "box" is all grayed out. I cannot edit anything. And again - the instructions in "How to Fix the Start Error for Windows Search Service to Enable the Index in Vista" have all been done.

Anytime I search using explorer I get some message about turning on indexing (and when I click, it tells me indexing not available). And this causes even more havoc within Outlook contact list searches (apparently uses the same indexing)

HELP!

Thanks ; )

vbrep_register("667479")
Barrie

Re: Vista Search not working, options greyed out - how do I get it
Ronnie, This is an old thread but I am hoping you can help me. I have a new
reinstall of Vista Home Premium. Also a new reinstall of Office 2007. I can
conduct a file search in Explorer but not in Outlook. When I go to Control
Panel|Indexing Options it says Indexing not running and there is nothing in
the box. All buttons below are greyed out.
I looked at the tutuorial link you recommend but it is for a 64-bit version
of Vista and does not track with my 32-bit version. Where do I go from here
(chkdsk says all is well).