New Dell laptop slow to boot Vista Home Premium

Moody Marco

New Dell laptop slow to boot Vista Home Premium
My laptop takes ages to boot Vista HP (it's new and came with HP
pre-installed).

As I only have 1 user it boots straight to desktop (no logon screen), and
specifically, it take ages after the "Welcome" writing and little blue
circle - I get a black screen with white mouse pointer for about 2-3 mins,
then my desktop shows up.

I wouldn't say it was slow up until that point, just very slow from the
mouse pointer appearing with the black screen onwards.

I checked in Control panel > Performance and Maintenance > Advanced Tools,
and I can see a Critical warning against Boot Performance and a time of
between 180000 and 200000 ms for each boot up.

In Event Viewer I do notice that the biggest jump in time is between the
Plug & Play Service starting (successfully I might add) and whatever came
BEFORE it. This time difference is usually about 2 - 2.5 minutes.

I have very few programs running at startup, I checked in msconfig.exe

Any ideas?

Rick Rogers

Re: New Dell laptop slow to boot Vista Home Premium
Hi,

New systems should have problems addressed by the vendor, as working on them
yourself can sometimes void warranties.

That said, enable boot logging by running msconfig from the start line and
on the boot tab enable the boot logging option. Click apply/ok and restart
the machine. Then locate the ntbtlog.txt that was created and open it in a
text editor (notepad is fine for this) and start looking through for the
delays.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Moody Marco" <marco@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
> My laptop takes ages to boot Vista HP (it's new and came with HP
> pre-installed).
>
> As I only have 1 user it boots straight to desktop (no logon screen), and
> specifically, it take ages after the "Welcome" writing and little blue
> circle - I get a black screen with white mouse pointer for about 2-3 mins,
> then my desktop shows up.
>
> I wouldn't say it was slow up until that point, just very slow from the
> mouse pointer appearing with the black screen onwards.
>
> I checked in Control panel > Performance and Maintenance > Advanced Tools,
> and I can see a Critical warning against Boot Performance and a time of
> between 180000 and 200000 ms for each boot up.
>
> In Event Viewer I do notice that the biggest jump in time is between the
> Plug & Play Service starting (successfully I might add) and whatever came
> BEFORE it. This time difference is usually about 2 - 2.5 minutes.
>
> I have very few programs running at startup, I checked in msconfig.exe
>
> Any ideas?

Moody Marco

> Hi,
>
> New systems should have problems addressed by the vendor, as working on
> them yourself can sometimes void warranties.
>
> That said, enable boot logging by running msconfig from the start line and
> on the boot tab enable the boot logging option. Click apply/ok and restart
> the machine. Then locate the ntbtlog.txt that was created and open it in a
> text editor (notepad is fine for this) and start looking through for the
> delays.

Thanks. ntbtlog.txt is a 136KB file, and all it has it hundreds of lines
starting either:

"Loaded driver <file/driver name>"

or

"Did not load driver <file/driver name?"

It doesn't mention any time information.

DLopezAZ@gmail.com

On Jul 11, 3:36 am, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> New systems should have problems addressed by the vendor, as working on them
> yourself can sometimes void warranties.
>
> That said, enable boot logging by running msconfig from the start line and
> on the boot tab enable the boot logging option. Click apply/ok and restart
> the machine. Then locate the ntbtlog.txt that was created and open it in a
> text editor (notepad is fine for this) and start looking through for the
> delays.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Moody Marco" <m...@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message

> > My laptop takes ages to boot Vista HP (it's new and came with HP
> > pre-installed).

> > As I only have 1 user it boots straight to desktop (no logon screen), and
> > specifically, it take ages after the "Welcome" writing and little blue
> > circle - I get a black screen with white mouse pointer for about 2-3 mins,
> > then my desktop shows up.

> > I wouldn't say it was slow up until that point, just very slow from the
> > mouse pointer appearing with the black screen onwards.

> > I checked in Control panel > Performance and Maintenance > Advanced Tools,
> > and I can see a Critical warning against Boot Performance and a time of
> > between 180000 and 200000 ms for each boot up.

> > In Event Viewer I do notice that the biggest jump in time is between the
> > Plug & Play Service starting (successfully I might add) and whatever came
> > BEFORE it. This time difference is usually about 2 - 2.5 minutes.

> > I have very few programs running at startup, I checked in msconfig.exe

> > Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

I'm haveing the exact same issue. I just purchased an HP system from
Costco with the E4400 Core 2 Duo. I started it up. It started up
fine. I removed the pre-installed Virus Scan (Norton). I rebooted;
it started up find. I installed the Cox Anti-Virus software and
rebooted; it started fine. I allowed the computer to download and
install the MS Vista updates. It began pausing for 2-3 minutes with a
blank screen. With nearly no effort, I'm able to deduce that one of
the MS Vista "product improvements" caused the issue. I'm also able
to quickly surmise that Microsoft has no clue what is causing this and
is potentially unaware or in denial that it's happening.
Microsoft...IT'S HAPPENING. PLEASE HELP US SOLVE WHATEVER YOU'VE
HOSED UP! STOP TELLING US TO CALL THE OEM BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW
WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

Bob J

Re: New Dell laptop slow to boot Vista Home Premium
If you buy a new car and something goes wrong where do you take it to get
repaired the seller or manufactyrer?????
--
Regards
Bob J