backup problems with Vista

Eileen

backup problems with Vista
Hi -
After backing up several times the default backup drive (Recovery Drive D
became full, so I deleted everything in D: except the Source and Windows
folders. That freed up space on the drive, but now when the automatic backup
tries to run, it fails every time (I think it says it can't find the right
files).
I have no recovery disk because Vista came installed on my Dell.
What can I do?
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: backup problems with Vista
Unfortunately your computer manufacturer did not hide the D: drive (aka
recovery partition) from view. The recovery partition is not meant for
storing backups--it's just too small. Ideally you will back up to either DVD
or another hard drive, possibly an external hard drive. Until you can find
another backup target, you can disable the automatic backups.

"Eileen" <Eileen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
> After backing up several times the default backup drive (Recovery Drive
> became full, so I deleted everything in D: except the Source and Windows
> folders. That freed up space on the drive, but now when the automatic
> backup
> tries to run, it fails every time (I think it says it can't find the right
> files).
> I have no recovery disk because Vista came installed on my Dell.
> What can I do?

Eileen

Re: backup problems with Vista
Thank you. I should be backing up externally anyway.
What's my recovery drive for, then? Do you suppose I've deleted something
important?
Mark

Re: backup problems with Vista
"Eileen" <Eileen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have no recovery disk because Vista came installed on my Dell.
> What can I do?

Dell usually supply a recovery disc. They certainly did with the last one I
purchased in May.

Mark

Granna

RE: backup problems with Vista
Dell ought to provide you with a recovery disk. Call technical support and
ask for one. If your warranty is still good, you just might get it.
Otherwise, I don't know.
--
Nancy Mairs, Writer
www.nancymairs.com