Shutdown, i see the 'shuting down' message, but the computer doesn

DiamondHorse

Shutdown, i see the 'shuting down' message, but the computer doesn
Whenever I shut down my computer, all windows close successfully and I am
given the blue/green screen with the message 'shutting down'. However, the
blue circle spins indefinately and I end up having to force shutdown which
ultimately causes problems upon restart. Any ideas why this is happening??

Vista Home Premium.

Cheers.
Malke

Re: Shutdown, i see the 'shuting down' message, but the computerdoesn
DiamondHorse wrote:
> Whenever I shut down my computer, all windows close successfully and I am
> given the blue/green screen with the message 'shutting down'. However, the
> blue circle spins indefinately and I end up having to force shutdown which
> ultimately causes problems upon restart. Any ideas why this is happening??
>
> Vista Home Premium.

Something you have running in the background isn't exiting gracefully.
The most common reason (aside from all the normal ones like malware,
badly-behaved programs, etc.) in Vista seems to be flaky video drivers.

1. See if you can answer The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what
changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't? If you
know what changed, try reversing it.

2. Or update your video drivers. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor. The older Aida32 is good for this, too although it might not
work on Vista.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.aumha.org/free.htm - Aida32 (hosted on Jim Eshelman's site)

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Nicholas J

Re: Shutdown, i see the 'shuting down' message, but the computer d
I've also had the same problem for months. I've disabled all sorts of things
in Defender (no difference), installed the latest nvdia 6150LE drivers today
(no difference), installed belarc (didn't indicate anything obvious). Is
there anything else I can do to find out what's not exiting gracefully?
Others have directed me to the performance logs but I found them a quagmire
of confusion. Help!