c:\users\steve\appdata\local\temp

DrFeelgood

c:\users\steve\appdata\local\temp
I was wondering where all my hard drive space had gone and went a hunting for
it. Now i am reasonably savvy with windows 98/xp etc so checked the usual
places like temp internet files etc but finally found the above directory
which contained 20 gigs of files and directories, upon further investigation
most of these files are stuff i had deleted long ago. For example i like to
download .flac files then convert them to .wav then create audio cd's using
roxio creator then delete the .wav files, ALL the .wav files i have deleted
over the last 3 month's are here as good as new but i don't want them thats
why i deleted them. Is it safe to clear this directory? Is this the shadow
used for system restore? All these files are taking up 25% of my total drive
available and are now effecting the performance of my machine. Any advice -
help gratefully received. Cheers
Spirit

Re: c:\users\steve\appdata\local\temp
15% of your drive is set aside (reserved) for System Restore Points.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...sage-in-vista/
Best to leave it alone though

"DrFeelgood" <DrFeelgood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering where all my hard drive space had gone and went a hunting
>for
> it. Now i am reasonably savvy with windows 98/xp etc so checked the usual
> places like temp internet files etc but finally found the above directory
> which contained 20 gigs of files and directories, upon further
> investigation
> most of these files are stuff i had deleted long ago. For example i like
> download .flac files then convert them to .wav then create audio cd's
> using
> roxio creator then delete the .wav files, ALL the .wav files i have
> deleted
> over the last 3 month's are here as good as new but i don't want them
> thats
> why i deleted them. Is it safe to clear this directory? Is this the shadow
> used for system restore? All these files are taking up 25% of my total
> drive
> available and are now effecting the performance of my machine. Any
> advice -
> help gratefully received. Cheers

Spirit

Re: c:\users\steve\appdata\local\temp
Yes use this :

http://www.ccleaner.com/

"DrFeelgood" <DrFeelgood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering where all my hard drive space had gone and went a hunting
>for
> it. Now i am reasonably savvy with windows 98/xp etc so checked the usual
> places like temp internet files etc but finally found the above directory
> which contained 20 gigs of files and directories, upon further
> investigation
> most of these files are stuff i had deleted long ago. For example i like
> download .flac files then convert them to .wav then create audio cd's
> using
> roxio creator then delete the .wav files, ALL the .wav files i have
> deleted
> over the last 3 month's are here as good as new but i don't want them
> thats
> why i deleted them. Is it safe to clear this directory? Is this the shadow
> used for system restore? All these files are taking up 25% of my total
> drive
> available and are now effecting the performance of my machine. Any
> advice -
> help gratefully received. Cheers

Rick Rogers

Re: c:\users\steve\appdata\local\temp
Hi,

It's safe to delete the contents, that is simply the user-defined temp
folder, akin to C:\Windows\Temp in Win98.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"DrFeelgood" <DrFeelgood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering where all my hard drive space had gone and went a hunting
>for
> it. Now i am reasonably savvy with windows 98/xp etc so checked the usual
> places like temp internet files etc but finally found the above directory
> which contained 20 gigs of files and directories, upon further
> investigation
> most of these files are stuff i had deleted long ago. For example i like
> download .flac files then convert them to .wav then create audio cd's
> using
> roxio creator then delete the .wav files, ALL the .wav files i have
> deleted
> over the last 3 month's are here as good as new but i don't want them
> thats
> why i deleted them. Is it safe to clear this directory? Is this the shadow
> used for system restore? All these files are taking up 25% of my total
> drive
> available and are now effecting the performance of my machine. Any
> advice -
> help gratefully received. Cheers

DrFeelgood

Re: c:\users\steve\appdata\local\temp
Cheers Rick i realised late lastnight that nothing in this directory is
important and regained 20 gigs for my effort!!! The question is why a second
copy is ending up in the above dir, my guess is that my free .flac to .wav
converter is dumping a duplicate copy here and i will now add this
housekeeping to my list.Thank you for your help though and would be
interested on your thoughts on the cause of this problem.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's safe to delete the contents, that is simply the user-defined temp
> folder, akin to C:\Windows\Temp in Win98.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "DrFeelgood" <DrFeelgood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was wondering where all my hard drive space had gone and went a hunting
> >for
> > it. Now i am reasonably savvy with windows 98/xp etc so checked the usual
> > places like temp internet files etc but finally found the above directory
> > which contained 20 gigs of files and directories, upon further
> > investigation
> > most of these files are stuff i had deleted long ago. For example i like
> > download .flac files then convert them to .wav then create audio cd's
> > using
> > roxio creator then delete the .wav files, ALL the .wav files i have
> > deleted
> > over the last 3 month's are here as good as new but i don't want them
> > thats
> > why i deleted them. Is it safe to clear this directory? Is this the shadow
> > used for system restore? All these files are taking up 25% of my total
> > drive
> > available and are now effecting the performance of my machine. Any
> > advice -
> > help gratefully received. Cheers

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: c:\users\steve\appdata\local\temp
DrFeelgood

Just a tip. The best way to clean out all of these temp folders is to use
the Disk Cleanup Wizard in Vista.

It's located in the Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools menu. Or you
can start it by clicking Start and
typing disk and pressing Enter. Select the clean files for all users.
You will see options there for all of the temporary files including the
browser cache and etc.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP