Backup failure

Jamiemack

Backup failure
I have a new DELL dimension E520 with vista business installed by Dell. The
computer was set up to backup files to the recovery "D" drive. After only
three weeks or so I started getting messages saying the last backup had
failed due to insufficient disk space (the partitioned D drive was set at
10GB and almost all of the space had been used). Since I wanted to do
complete PC backups and considered the that backing up to the same hard disk
pointless anyway, I purchased a 250GB external drive thinking this would be
the end of my problems. unfortunately this has not been the case. When I set
the target drive for backups as the new external drive and try a complete PC
backup, I still get the message "Not enough disk space to create the shadow
copy on the storage location 0x80780035" under additional information I get
"Insufficeint storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file
or other shadow copy data (0x8004231F)"

Even when I try a file only backup I get this last message.

The new external drive has been formatted NTFS and is so far empty.

Am I missing something here?

Jamie

Michael

Re: Backup failure
Jamie,
I suspect that the system is trying to create shadow copy of files on the D:
drive on the D: drive, and no room in the inn.
First thing I would do is delete the backup files that have been placed on
the D: drive already, then clean the trash bin.

Assuming (again) that the D: drive is actually the recovery partition, you
really don't want Vista to be playing with it at all. It is there only to
provide a last ditch restore the system to 'as purchased' and lose all your
information. ( I also have a DELL which had a botched VISTA install and
recovery partition).
To keep Vista from seeing it, but not harming the data on there, simply
remove the drive letter, no drive letter (D Vista cannot see it.

Start "Computer Management" program
Select Storage / Disk Management
For Disk 0 you probably show a 55MB, a 10GB, and a big partition.
The 10 GB is probably given the volume D:
Right click on it, then 'Change drive letter and paths'
highlight the D:, and remove.

This will not damage the contents and is easily reversed if desired. (MY
opinion is that DELL should have not assigned D: in the first place!).

Michael

"Jamiemack" <Jamiemack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new DELL dimension E520 with vista business installed by Dell. The
> computer was set up to backup files to the recovery "D" drive. After only
> three weeks or so I started getting messages saying the last backup had
> failed due to insufficient disk space (the partitioned D drive was set at
> 10GB and almost all of the space had been used). Since I wanted to do
> complete PC backups and considered the that backing up to the same hard
> disk
> pointless anyway, I purchased a 250GB external drive thinking this would
> be
> the end of my problems. unfortunately this has not been the case. When I
> set
> the target drive for backups as the new external drive and try a complete
> PC
> backup, I still get the message "Not enough disk space to create the
> shadow
> copy on the storage location 0x80780035" under additional information I
> get
> "Insufficeint storage available to create either the shadow copy storage
> file
> or other shadow copy data (0x8004231F)"
>
> Even when I try a file only backup I get this last message.
>
> The new external drive has been formatted NTFS and is so far empty.
>
> Am I missing something here?
>
> Jamie

Jamiemack

Re: Backup failure
Michael you're a star! Tried as you suggested and it worked a treat.

MANY THANKS
Jamie

"Michael" wrote:

> Jamie,
> I suspect that the system is trying to create shadow copy of files on the D:
> drive on the D: drive, and no room in the inn.
> First thing I would do is delete the backup files that have been placed on
> the D: drive already, then clean the trash bin.
>
> Assuming (again) that the D: drive is actually the recovery partition, you
> really don't want Vista to be playing with it at all. It is there only to
> provide a last ditch restore the system to 'as purchased' and lose all your
> information. ( I also have a DELL which had a botched VISTA install and
> recovery partition).
> To keep Vista from seeing it, but not harming the data on there, simply
> remove the drive letter, no drive letter (D Vista cannot see it.
>
> Start "Computer Management" program
> Select Storage / Disk Management
> For Disk 0 you probably show a 55MB, a 10GB, and a big partition.
> The 10 GB is probably given the volume D:
> Right click on it, then 'Change drive letter and paths'
> highlight the D:, and remove.
>
> This will not damage the contents and is easily reversed if desired. (MY
> opinion is that DELL should have not assigned D: in the first place!).
>
> Michael
>
> "Jamiemack" <Jamiemack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new DELL dimension E520 with vista business installed by Dell. The
> > computer was set up to backup files to the recovery "D" drive. After only
> > three weeks or so I started getting messages saying the last backup had
> > failed due to insufficient disk space (the partitioned D drive was set at
> > 10GB and almost all of the space had been used). Since I wanted to do
> > complete PC backups and considered the that backing up to the same hard
> > disk
> > pointless anyway, I purchased a 250GB external drive thinking this would
> > be
> > the end of my problems. unfortunately this has not been the case. When I
> > set
> > the target drive for backups as the new external drive and try a complete
> > PC
> > backup, I still get the message "Not enough disk space to create the
> > shadow
> > copy on the storage location 0x80780035" under additional information I
> > get
> > "Insufficeint storage available to create either the shadow copy storage
> > file
> > or other shadow copy data (0x8004231F)"
> >
> > Even when I try a file only backup I get this last message.
> >
> > The new external drive has been formatted NTFS and is so far empty.
> >
> > Am I missing something here?
> >
> > Jamie

bmbyno

Re: Backup failure

Does this solution work for Fujitsu lifebook vista home edition 32 bit.
I have the same bkup failure problem

--
bmbyno