ReadyBoost really boost?

Stephensaw

ReadyBoost really boost?
Hi, I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 2.5GB DDR RAM dual channel, and today I
bought my first ReadyBoost enabled pendrive, Apacer Handy Steno HA202 AX 4GB,
after plugged in, I used the recommended size, around 3.8GB. I'm running VPC
with 1GB RAM assigned after that as usual, but I felt more laging during
multitasking between VPC, outlook and WLM, when I typing message on my WLM,
sometimes I need to wait up until 3seconds for my typed message to shows up.
Which I got less of this problem when working without ReadyBoost.

Is my settings problem? Besides, is that the ReadyBoost will harm my
pendrive? Because I see my pendrive's light blinking frequently, reading and
writing.

Thanks.
Fat Bastard

Re: ReadyBoost really boost?
On a machine with that much RAM, I doubt ReadyBoost is going to make a
noticible difference anyway. Not sure about the lag issues, might be a
problem between it and VPC.

"Stephensaw" <Stephensaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 2.5GB DDR RAM dual channel, and today
> bought my first ReadyBoost enabled pendrive, Apacer Handy Steno HA202 AX
> 4GB,
> after plugged in, I used the recommended size, around 3.8GB. I'm running
> VPC
> with 1GB RAM assigned after that as usual, but I felt more laging during
> multitasking between VPC, outlook and WLM, when I typing message on my
> WLM,
> sometimes I need to wait up until 3seconds for my typed message to shows
> up.
> Which I got less of this problem when working without ReadyBoost.
>
> Is my settings problem? Besides, is that the ReadyBoost will harm my
> pendrive? Because I see my pendrive's light blinking frequently, reading
> and
> writing.
>
> Thanks.

Victek

Re: ReadyBoost really boost?
> Hi, I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 2.5GB DDR RAM dual channel, and today
> bought my first ReadyBoost enabled pendrive, Apacer Handy Steno HA202 AX
> 4GB,
> after plugged in, I used the recommended size, around 3.8GB. I'm running
> VPC
> with 1GB RAM assigned after that as usual, but I felt more laging during
> multitasking between VPC, outlook and WLM, when I typing message on my
> WLM,
> sometimes I need to wait up until 3seconds for my typed message to shows
> up.
> Which I got less of this problem when working without ReadyBoost.
>
> Is my settings problem? Besides, is that the ReadyBoost will harm my
> pendrive? Because I see my pendrive's light blinking frequently, reading
> and
> writing.

I have two gigs of ram and didn't notice any performance increase using
ReadyBoost. I did notice it initially slowed the computer down while the
ReadyBoost cache was being written to the pen drive. If you notice clearly
that your computer performs better without using ReadyBoost I would believe
it - you're not doing anything wrong. I don't know enough about pen drives
to say if ReadyBoost wears them out more quickly. Perhaps someone else can
comment?

AJR

Re: ReadyBoost really boost?
Few points about ReadyBoost:

1. Readyboost has nothing to do with RAM
2. A Readfyboost cache is establihed whether or not you use an
external ReadyBoost device.
3. Readyboost is a "function" of Superfetch - formerly Prefetch.
4. Non-sequential read/writes are cached to the ReadyBoost device -
sequential read/writes are directed to the HD cache. So
performance depends on the type of HD activity.
5. A ReadyBoost external device does not provide performance
increase in concert with high performance HDs (Hi RPM,
Read/Write speeds) - meaning most desktops do not show a
performance gain.
6. Due to #5 above - ReadyBoost extenal device function best with
laptops (Slow HDs)
7. ReadyBoost over a period tracks HD activity and (eventually) will
adjust boot and shutdown performance. Upon initial installation
of a
ReadyBoost extenal device performance may deteriate during the
period it is "gathering" usage information.

"Stephensaw" <Stephensaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 2.5GB DDR RAM dual channel, and today
> bought my first ReadyBoost enabled pendrive, Apacer Handy Steno HA202 AX
> 4GB,
> after plugged in, I used the recommended size, around 3.8GB. I'm running
> VPC
> with 1GB RAM assigned after that as usual, but I felt more laging during
> multitasking between VPC, outlook and WLM, when I typing message on my
> WLM,
> sometimes I need to wait up until 3seconds for my typed message to shows
> up.
> Which I got less of this problem when working without ReadyBoost.
>
> Is my settings problem? Besides, is that the ReadyBoost will harm my
> pendrive? Because I see my pendrive's light blinking frequently, reading
> and
> writing.
>
> Thanks.

Stephensaw

Re: ReadyBoost really boost?
Thats mean I need to let it boost for some period? Because I really
experiencing lag after using it.

"AJR" wrote:

> Few points about ReadyBoost:
>
> 1. Readyboost has nothing to do with RAM
> 2. A Readfyboost cache is establihed whether or not you use an
> external ReadyBoost device.
> 3. Readyboost is a "function" of Superfetch - formerly Prefetch.
> 4. Non-sequential read/writes are cached to the ReadyBoost device -
> sequential read/writes are directed to the HD cache. So
> performance depends on the type of HD activity.
> 5. A ReadyBoost external device does not provide performance
> increase in concert with high performance HDs (Hi RPM,
> Read/Write speeds) - meaning most desktops do not show a
> performance gain.
> 6. Due to #5 above - ReadyBoost extenal device function best with
> laptops (Slow HDs)
> 7. ReadyBoost over a period tracks HD activity and (eventually) will
> adjust boot and shutdown performance. Upon initial installation
> of a
> ReadyBoost extenal device performance may deteriate during the
> period it is "gathering" usage information.
>

> "Stephensaw" <Stephensaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 2.5GB DDR RAM dual channel, and today
> > bought my first ReadyBoost enabled pendrive, Apacer Handy Steno HA202 AX
> > 4GB,
> > after plugged in, I used the recommended size, around 3.8GB. I'm running
> > VPC
> > with 1GB RAM assigned after that as usual, but I felt more laging during
> > multitasking between VPC, outlook and WLM, when I typing message on my
> > WLM,
> > sometimes I need to wait up until 3seconds for my typed message to shows
> > up.
> > Which I got less of this problem when working without ReadyBoost.
> >
> > Is my settings problem? Besides, is that the ReadyBoost will harm my
> > pendrive? Because I see my pendrive's light blinking frequently, reading
> > and
> > writing.
> >
> > Thanks.

Stephensaw

Re: ReadyBoost really boost?
After plugged in for around half hours, I feel smooth when running my Visual
Studio 2005, Outlook 2007, Windows Media Player 11, OneNote 2007 together,
and I didn't feel lag on my Visual Studio, as if previous, I will
experiencing slow performance on my Visual Studio. Correction , my pendrive
is Apacer HA202 200X.