System Restore

Merle

System Restore
The problem is: When I make a change to my system i.e. new driver, etc I
would like to create a system restore point just in case of a malfunction.
When I try to create a restore point I get this message on my Systems
Property Window under the tab system protection Automatic Restore Point
"Configuration is disabled by group policy" and "Restore Point creation
disabled by group policy." What kind of system protection is that? Is it
protecting my system from my protection? Yes I think so. Is there anyway
to change the group policy on windows Vista Premium since it is unavailable
in the premium version? Wow. This PC belongs to ME not Microsoft.

Bert Kinney

Re: System Restore
Hi Merle,

This fix should work.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html#2

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

Merle wrote:
> The problem is: When I make a change to my system i.e. new driver, etc I
> would like to create a system restore point just in case of a malfunction.
> When I try to create a restore point I get this message on my Systems
> Property Window under the tab system protection Automatic Restore Point
> "Configuration is disabled by group policy" and "Restore Point creation
> disabled by group policy." What kind of system protection is that? Is it
> protecting my system from my protection? Yes I think so. Is there anyway
> to change the group policy on windows Vista Premium since it is unavailable
> in the premium version? Wow. This PC belongs to ME not Microsoft.

Merle

Re: System Restore
I tried all of the suggestions in the link you posted, none worked. I still
get the error "Access Denied 0x80070005" ? Maybe a reinstall might help?

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Merle,
>
> This fix should work.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html#2
>
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
> Member: http://dts-l.org
>

> Merle wrote:
>> The problem is: When I make a change to my system i.e. new driver, etc
>> would like to create a system restore point just in case of a
>> malfunction.
>> When I try to create a restore point I get this message on my Systems
>> Property Window under the tab system protection Automatic Restore
>> Point
>> "Configuration is disabled by group policy" and "Restore Point creation
>> disabled by group policy." What kind of system protection is that? Is
>> it
>> protecting my system from my protection? Yes I think so. Is there
>> anyway
>> to change the group policy on windows Vista Premium since it is
>> unavailable
>> in the premium version? Wow. This PC belongs to ME not Microsoft.

Bert Kinney

Re: System Restore
Hi Merle,

Yes, a reinstall of System Restore is a good idea.

How to reinstall System Restore in Windows XP:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/reinstall.html

Merle wrote:
> I tried all of the suggestions in the link you posted, none worked. I
> still get the error "Access Denied 0x80070005" ? Maybe a reinstall
> might help?
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>> Hi Merle,
>>
>> This fix should work.
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html#2
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>> Member: http://dts-l.org
>>

>> Merle wrote:
>>> The problem is: When I make a change to my system i.e. new driver,
>>> etc I would like to create a system restore point just in case of a malfunction.
>>> When I try to create a restore point I get this message on my Systems
>>> Property Window under the tab system protection Automatic Restore Point
>>> "Configuration is disabled by group policy" and "Restore Point creation
>>> disabled by group policy." What kind of system protection is that?
>>> Is it protecting my system from my protection? Yes I think so. Is there
>>> anyway to change the group policy on windows Vista Premium since it is
>>> unavailable in the premium version? Wow. This PC belongs to ME not Microsoft.

Merle

Re: System Restore
I tried a reinstall and it failed. I wound up with a no boot situation. I
reformatted and reinstalled Vista so now everything is A-OK thanks.

> Hi Merle,
>
> Yes, a reinstall of System Restore is a good idea.
>
> How to reinstall System Restore in Windows XP:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/reinstall.html
>
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
> Member: http://dts-l.org
>
> Merle wrote:
>> I tried all of the suggestions in the link you posted, none worked. I
>> still get the error "Access Denied 0x80070005" ? Maybe a reinstall
>> might help?
>>
>> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>>> Hi Merle,
>>>
>>> This fix should work.
>>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html#2
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>> Member: http://dts-l.org

ajv

Re: System Restore
Glad it worked for you, Merle. It's kind of drastic. Will you do the
same in a week when the driver goes south? There got to be a more
precise solution to this problem.

albert