Services won't run, no networking.

Nevet

Services won't run, no networking.
Greetings,

I'm running Running Windows Vista Home Premium with home LAN (wired) to
cable modem. The computer cannot connect to network (169 IP address).
Network & Sharing Center says "Unknown: The dependency service or group
failed to start," but Network Diagnostics "cannot run because the Diagnostic
Policy Service is not running." Trying to start Diagnostic Policy Service
results in "Error 5: Access is denied." (This happens even when running
Service Control Manager as
Administrator.)

The Event Log is full of errors in VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service), WerSvc
(Windows Feedback Platform), EventSystem (COM+), CAPI2 and Search.

Any ideas?

--Nevet
Any suggestions?

peter

Re: Services won't run, no networking.
I had problem similar to that were certain services related to Event Viewer
and others would not start.I tried various things with Vista Support as well
as help from this newsgroup and none worked...................I finally
re-installed Vista Home Premium into the same folder as the original
installation and from then on everything worked.
peter
"Nevet" <Nevet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I'm running Running Windows Vista Home Premium with home LAN (wired) to
> cable modem. The computer cannot connect to network (169 IP address).
> Network & Sharing Center says "Unknown: The dependency service or group
> failed to start," but Network Diagnostics "cannot run because the
> Diagnostic
> Policy Service is not running." Trying to start Diagnostic Policy Service
> results in "Error 5: Access is denied." (This happens even when running
> Service Control Manager as
> Administrator.)
>
> The Event Log is full of errors in VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service),
> WerSvc
> (Windows Feedback Platform), EventSystem (COM+), CAPI2 and Search.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --Nevet
> Any suggestions?

Nevet

Re: Services won't run, no networking.
Thanks, Peter. I was trying to avoid having to re-install Vista but there
seemed no escaping it. Now that I've reinstalled (over the existing
installation), the problem has changed, but not gone away. The services seem
okay now--Network Diagnostics runs, and does not find any problems.

However, I still can't get full network connectivity. I have an IP address
(on my LAN) and can successfully Ping both LAN and Internet sites; DNS
resolution works fine. However, I cannot access LAN resources or Web pages
by either URL or IP address (though for some reason, I can actually get to
HTTPS pages). When I run Outlook, it can see and report the number of
messages pending on my ISP's server and their size, but cannot download them.
Very strange....

Any thoughts?

"peter" wrote:

> I had problem similar to that were certain services related to Event Viewer
> and others would not start.I tried various things with Vista Support as well
> as help from this newsgroup and none worked...................I finally
> re-installed Vista Home Premium into the same folder as the original
> installation and from then on everything worked.
> peter
> "Nevet" <Nevet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm running Running Windows Vista Home Premium with home LAN (wired) to
> > cable modem. The computer cannot connect to network (169 IP address).
> > Network & Sharing Center says "Unknown: The dependency service or group
> > failed to start," but Network Diagnostics "cannot run because the
> > Diagnostic
> > Policy Service is not running." Trying to start Diagnostic Policy Service
> > results in "Error 5: Access is denied." (This happens even when running
> > Service Control Manager as
> > Administrator.)
> >
> > The Event Log is full of errors in VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service),
> > WerSvc
> > (Windows Feedback Platform), EventSystem (COM+), CAPI2 and Search.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > --Nevet
> > Any suggestions?

ajv

Re: Services won't run, no networking.
Had a similar problem. Reinstalled the NIC driver and all was well.

Albert