Windows explorer in constant crash loop

Matt_rocks77

Windows explorer in constant crash loop
hey all

After I go through the login screen in Windows Vista, I get an error message
stating that windows explorer has crashed. It doesn't matter if I choose
restart program or check online for solutions, the error message still pops
up again.

I booted in safe mode with command prompt because that's the only way I
could access the command prompt. I typed in MSCONFIG and went to the event
viewer to see the problem. It looks like my problem is ACPI (which is a
system file)

IRQ ARB: ACPI Bios does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 12,
function 0.

which is event ID 6.

I have no idea what to do. Please help.
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows explorer in constant crash loop
Hi,

They may not mean anything. From msconfig, on the general tab, put the
system in diagnostic mode and reboot. See if this allow it to startup
normally.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Matt_rocks77" <Mattrocks77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey all
>
> After I go through the login screen in Windows Vista, I get an error
> message
> stating that windows explorer has crashed. It doesn't matter if I choose
> restart program or check online for solutions, the error message still
> pops
> up again.
>
> I booted in safe mode with command prompt because that's the only way I
> could access the command prompt. I typed in MSCONFIG and went to the event
> viewer to see the problem. It looks like my problem is ACPI (which is a
> system file)
>
> IRQ ARB: ACPI Bios does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 12,
> function 0.
>
> which is event ID 6.
>
> I have no idea what to do. Please help.

Matt_rocks77

Re: Windows explorer in constant crash loop
Hi Rick and thanks for the response.

I ran my comp in diagnostic and it still displys the message.

There's a history.dat file on my comp that I've never seen before. Could
that be the cause of my problems? and if so, is there a way to delete that in
safe mode?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> They may not mean anything. From msconfig, on the general tab, put the
> system in diagnostic mode and reboot. See if this allow it to startup
> normally.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Matt_rocks77" <Mattrocks77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hey all
> >
> > After I go through the login screen in Windows Vista, I get an error
> > message
> > stating that windows explorer has crashed. It doesn't matter if I choose
> > restart program or check online for solutions, the error message still
> > pops
> > up again.
> >
> > I booted in safe mode with command prompt because that's the only way I
> > could access the command prompt. I typed in MSCONFIG and went to the event
> > viewer to see the problem. It looks like my problem is ACPI (which is a
> > system file)
> >
> > IRQ ARB: ACPI Bios does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 12,
> > function 0.
> >
> > which is event ID 6.
> >
> > I have no idea what to do. Please help.

Matt_rocks77

Re: Windows explorer in constant crash loop
I've also found this error in my event viewer

CAP12 error - Event ID 512

The cryptographic services failed to initialize the VSS backup "system
writer" object.

"Matt_rocks77" wrote:

> Hi Rick and thanks for the response.
>
> I ran my comp in diagnostic and it still displys the message.
>
> There's a history.dat file on my comp that I've never seen before. Could
> that be the cause of my problems? and if so, is there a way to delete that in
> safe mode?
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > They may not mean anything. From msconfig, on the general tab, put the
> > system in diagnostic mode and reboot. See if this allow it to startup
> > normally.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Matt_rocks77" <Mattrocks77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > hey all
> > >
> > > After I go through the login screen in Windows Vista, I get an error
> > > message
> > > stating that windows explorer has crashed. It doesn't matter if I choose
> > > restart program or check online for solutions, the error message still
> > > pops
> > > up again.
> > >
> > > I booted in safe mode with command prompt because that's the only way I
> > > could access the command prompt. I typed in MSCONFIG and went to the event
> > > viewer to see the problem. It looks like my problem is ACPI (which is a
> > > system file)
> > >
> > > IRQ ARB: ACPI Bios does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 12,
> > > function 0.
> > >
> > > which is event ID 6.
> > >
> > > I have no idea what to do. Please help.

Matt_rocks77

Re: Windows explorer in constant crash loop
It also shows as an error:

application error - event ID 1000

faulting application explorer.exe
faulting module MpegSplitter.ax

"Matt_rocks77" wrote:

> I've also found this error in my event viewer
>
> CAP12 error - Event ID 512
>
> The cryptographic services failed to initialize the VSS backup "system
> writer" object.
>
> "Matt_rocks77" wrote:
>
> > Hi Rick and thanks for the response.
> >
> > I ran my comp in diagnostic and it still displys the message.
> >
> > There's a history.dat file on my comp that I've never seen before. Could
> > that be the cause of my problems? and if so, is there a way to delete that in
> > safe mode?
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > They may not mean anything. From msconfig, on the general tab, put the
> > > system in diagnostic mode and reboot. See if this allow it to startup
> > > normally.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best of Luck,
> > >
> > > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Fat Bastard

Re: Windows explorer in constant crash loop
That is your problem. Not sure what Mpegsplitter.ax is used for, but it
looks to be part of a codec pack and it is an Explorer extension. Remove it
and I am sure your problem will go away.

> It also shows as an error:
>
> application error - event ID 1000
>
> faulting application explorer.exe
> faulting module MpegSplitter.ax
>

> "Matt_rocks77" wrote:
>
>> I've also found this error in my event viewer
>>
>> CAP12 error - Event ID 512
>>
>> The cryptographic services failed to initialize the VSS backup "system
>> writer" object.
>>
>> "Matt_rocks77" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Rick and thanks for the response.
>> >
>> > I ran my comp in diagnostic and it still displys the message.
>> >
>> > There's a history.dat file on my comp that I've never seen before.
>> > Could
>> > that be the cause of my problems? and if so, is there a way to delete
>> > that in
>> > safe mode?

munkeypee

Re: Windows explorer in constant crash loop

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, but the 'pop-up' won't allow me to
do anything at all. I've rebooted in safe mode as well, but it's exactly
the same story. Is there a different way to access the uninstall app?
Thanks in advance for any info.

--
munkeypee