Vista, IE 7, very slow loading except as Admin

debbiegrace

Vista, IE 7, very slow loading except as Admin
Hi,

Any help would be much appreciated! I have a new computer that came with
Vista Home Premium. I have slowly been adding peripherals and applications.
I have noticed successively decreasing performance of IE - not everything,
just IE. The latest is it takes 20 sec to load IE w/ Google as the one and
only home page. Now, the kicker is that if I run IE using the "Run as
Adminstrator" option, it takes 2 seconds. I have tried everything suggested
in the Knowledge Base to no avail. Even with only the basic MS services
running and network connectivity, executing IE takes 20 sec. This is true
for all users (I have User Account Controls activated), regardless of the
boot configuration.

I'd rather nip this is the bud before it gets much worse. Any ideas out
there?

P. Di Stolfo

Re: Vista, IE 7, very slow loading except as Admin
Hello,

maybe it's a stupid thought, but what if you run IE without add-ons?
[Windows-key + R] -> iexplore -extoff -> Enter

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

"debbiegrace" <debbiegrace@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> Any help would be much appreciated! I have a new computer that came with
> Vista Home Premium. I have slowly been adding peripherals and
> applications.
> I have noticed successively decreasing performance of IE - not everything,
> just IE. The latest is it takes 20 sec to load IE w/ Google as the one
> and
> only home page. Now, the kicker is that if I run IE using the "Run as
> Adminstrator" option, it takes 2 seconds. I have tried everything
> suggested
> in the Knowledge Base to no avail. Even with only the basic MS services
> running and network connectivity, executing IE takes 20 sec. This is true
> for all users (I have User Account Controls activated), regardless of the
> boot configuration.
>
> I'd rather nip this is the bud before it gets much worse. Any ideas out
> there?

debbiegrace

Re: Vista, IE 7, very slow loading except as Admin
Thanks for responding, but no. That was one of the first things I tried.

"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> maybe it's a stupid thought, but what if you run IE without add-ons?
> [Windows-key + R] -> iexplore -extoff -> Enter
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
>
> "debbiegrace" <debbiegrace@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi,
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated! I have a new computer that came with
> > Vista Home Premium. I have slowly been adding peripherals and
> > applications.
> > I have noticed successively decreasing performance of IE - not everything,
> > just IE. The latest is it takes 20 sec to load IE w/ Google as the one
> > and
> > only home page. Now, the kicker is that if I run IE using the "Run as
> > Adminstrator" option, it takes 2 seconds. I have tried everything
> > suggested
> > in the Knowledge Base to no avail. Even with only the basic MS services
> > running and network connectivity, executing IE takes 20 sec. This is true
> > for all users (I have User Account Controls activated), regardless of the
> > boot configuration.
> >
> > I'd rather nip this is the bud before it gets much worse. Any ideas out
> > there?

debbiegrace

RE: Vista, IE 7, very slow loading except as Admin
Turns out the problem is Protected Mode. When I disable it, everything is
nice and fast. So, I've learned a bit about when protected mode is on/off,
but not a lot about what it "protects" me from except getting my pages in a
timely fashion. Anyone want to clue me in?

"debbiegrace" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any help would be much appreciated! I have a new computer that came with
> Vista Home Premium. I have slowly been adding peripherals and applications.
> I have noticed successively decreasing performance of IE - not everything,
> just IE. The latest is it takes 20 sec to load IE w/ Google as the one and
> only home page. Now, the kicker is that if I run IE using the "Run as
> Adminstrator" option, it takes 2 seconds. I have tried everything suggested
> in the Knowledge Base to no avail. Even with only the basic MS services
> running and network connectivity, executing IE takes 20 sec. This is true
> for all users (I have User Account Controls activated), regardless of the
> boot configuration.
>
> I'd rather nip this is the bud before it gets much worse. Any ideas out
> there?

Charlie Tame

Re: Vista, IE 7, very slow loading except as Admin
My guess would be then that Admin automatically gets permissions for all
files while Users need to run through the access control lists to check
permissions. Do you see any disk activity while it is "Deliberating", it
may only be brief flashes of the drive light. This may be something with
the file system or perhaps it's an IE thing and to do with things as
disparate as certificates etc.

debbiegrace wrote:
> Turns out the problem is Protected Mode. When I disable it, everything is
> nice and fast. So, I've learned a bit about when protected mode is on/off,
> but not a lot about what it "protects" me from except getting my pages in a
> timely fashion. Anyone want to clue me in?
>
> "debbiegrace" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated! I have a new computer that came with
>> Vista Home Premium. I have slowly been adding peripherals and applications.
>> I have noticed successively decreasing performance of IE - not everything,
>> just IE. The latest is it takes 20 sec to load IE w/ Google as the one and
>> only home page. Now, the kicker is that if I run IE using the "Run as
>> Adminstrator" option, it takes 2 seconds. I have tried everything suggested
>> in the Knowledge Base to no avail. Even with only the basic MS services
>> running and network connectivity, executing IE takes 20 sec. This is true
>> for all users (I have User Account Controls activated), regardless of the
>> boot configuration.
>>
>> I'd rather nip this is the bud before it gets much worse. Any ideas out
>> there?

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Vista, IE 7, very slow loading except as Admin
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:02:04 -0700, debbiegrace

>Thanks for responding, but no. That was one of the first things I tried.

Did you try clearing the cache? Maybe "admin" is using a different
cache that isn't as blighted.

IE7's default of 50M isn't as gross as older IE's "X% of your HD
belong to us", and NTFS is more efficient for dits containing large
numbers of items than FATxx., but it's still a possible factor.

I'm on a ten-year lunch break