Web Cam stops keyboard

Degs

Web Cam stops keyboard
If I leave my USB webcam plugged in when I reboot, I cannot access my system
bios or boot sequence as my USB keyboard is not active until after the boot
access sequence has gone. Is there a way of prioritising my USB ports so that
I can leave my web cam plugged in and still use the keyboard? I know I can
just unplug it and it seems trivial but it just annoys me having to do it.
Spirit

Re: Web Cam stops keyboard
You probably need a Powered USB Hub. USB devices normally don't interfere
with each other unless the total power drawn is a problem. If you get a hub
plug
the camera and other devices into the hub.

"Degs" <Degs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I leave my USB webcam plugged in when I reboot, I cannot access my
> system
> bios or boot sequence as my USB keyboard is not active until after the
> boot
> access sequence has gone. Is there a way of prioritising my USB ports so
> that
> I can leave my web cam plugged in and still use the keyboard? I know I can
> just unplug it and it seems trivial but it just annoys me having to do it.

Degs

Re: Web Cam stops keyboard
I am using the onboard usb sockets on my ALiveNF6G DVI motherboard. I do have
an other usb on my card reader and this is powered so I'll give that a go
next time I reboot. I try not to reboot as I am also having a problem with
not seeing the boot device or if it does then windows does not start but this
is for another discussion group.

"Spirit" wrote:

> You probably need a Powered USB Hub. USB devices normally don't interfere
> with each other unless the total power drawn is a problem. If you get a hub
> plug
> the camera and other devices into the hub.
>
> "Degs" <Degs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I leave my USB webcam plugged in when I reboot, I cannot access my
> > system
> > bios or boot sequence as my USB keyboard is not active until after the
> > boot
> > access sequence has gone. Is there a way of prioritising my USB ports so
> > that
> > I can leave my web cam plugged in and still use the keyboard? I know I can
> > just unplug it and it seems trivial but it just annoys me having to do it.

Spirit

Re: Web Cam stops keyboard
Your problems could all be related. Something pulling too much bus power OR
the power supply and distribution system not working properly.

Best way to trouble shoot hardware issues is to strip system down to the
barebones.
Reseat cards and cables (remove and reinstall not just push to see if they
are in
place).Of course look for updated drivers,,, especially video.

>I am using the onboard usb sockets on my ALiveNF6G DVI motherboard. I do
>have
> an other usb on my card reader and this is powered so I'll give that a go
> next time I reboot. I try not to reboot as I am also having a problem with
> not seeing the boot device or if it does then windows does not start but
> this
> is for another discussion group.
>
> "Spirit" wrote:
>
>> You probably need a Powered USB Hub. USB devices normally don't interfere
>> with each other unless the total power drawn is a problem. If you get a
>> hub
>> plug
>> the camera and other devices into the hub.
>>
>> "Degs" <Degs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If I leave my USB webcam plugged in when I reboot, I cannot access my
>> > system
>> > bios or boot sequence as my USB keyboard is not active until after the
>> > boot
>> > access sequence has gone. Is there a way of prioritising my USB ports
>> > so
>> > that
>> > I can leave my web cam plugged in and still use the keyboard? I know I
>> > can
>> > just unplug it and it seems trivial but it just annoys me having to do
>> > it.

Degs

Re: Web Cam stops keyboard
As your message came in I was in the process of stripping down and checking
those very things. While I was putting things back I switched power on and
double checked at each stage. The problem I have been getting with my system
freezing and the hard drive running seemed to disappear when I rerouted the
sata cable and took a bit of strain of it. That was just getting worse and
worse as the day went on, suddenly it's ok. I then left the power on while I
was about to put the side back on the case and touched the cable bunch coming
from the power supply it knocked of the power!! Tried it again and the same
thing happens, certainly looks like something iffy on the power supply...not
bad for a 6 week old machine!!!! I will have to strip it down and look at it
as I am now located in Spain and the supplier is in UK (bummer). I will let
you know if the keyboard problem clears as well. Thanks for the advice.

"Spirit" wrote:

> Your problems could all be related. Something pulling too much bus power OR
> the power supply and distribution system not working properly.
>
> Best way to trouble shoot hardware issues is to strip system down to the
> barebones.
> Reseat cards and cables (remove and reinstall not just push to see if they
> are in
> place).Of course look for updated drivers,,, especially video.
>
> "Degs" <Degs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using the onboard usb sockets on my ALiveNF6G DVI motherboard. I do
> >have
> > an other usb on my card reader and this is powered so I'll give that a go
> > next time I reboot. I try not to reboot as I am also having a problem with
> > not seeing the boot device or if it does then windows does not start but
> > this
> > is for another discussion group.
> >
> > "Spirit" wrote:
> >
> >> You probably need a Powered USB Hub. USB devices normally don't interfere
> >> with each other unless the total power drawn is a problem. If you get a
> >> hub
> >> plug
> >> the camera and other devices into the hub.

Degs

Re: Web Cam stops keyboard
Checked the power looks like it was just a sloppy connector. Still have the
problem with the keyboard being blocked by the webcam. If I use PS2 keyboard
then I have no problem must just be a quirk of usb that I will have to live
with.