Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !

Paul

Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !
Hello everyone,

I've got a problem that has me absolutely stumped ! Can you help ?

I have created a task in Vista's task scheduler to run once a week. All the
task does is display a message to remind the user to run a program (this prog
won't run automatically). However, no matter what I do the message box never
comes up. Here are the task settings I set:

GENERAL: run when user is logged on
TRIGGER: on a schedule-weekly, at 8am, task enabled
ACTION: display a message
CONDITIONS: wake the computer to run this task,
SETTINGS: run task as soon a possible after a scheduled ...

I should mention that the user logs off and the computer is put to sleep
when it is not in use. The log in the event viewer shows that the task
started (and still going), but the user never gets a message box.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem, but when I click
HISTORY, I get a message that says "one of the logs in the query has errors:
query is invalid"

Thanks for any insight on this,

Paul
Bob J

RE: Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !
The event scheduler is not for this purpose, it is for running updates,
defrag, etc. programs .
Use your calender for this type of reminder.
--
Regards
Bob J

"Paul" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've got a problem that has me absolutely stumped ! Can you help ?
>
> I have created a task in Vista's task scheduler to run once a week. All the
> task does is display a message to remind the user to run a program (this prog
> won't run automatically). However, no matter what I do the message box never
> comes up. Here are the task settings I set:
>
> GENERAL: run when user is logged on
> TRIGGER: on a schedule-weekly, at 8am, task enabled
> ACTION: display a message
> CONDITIONS: wake the computer to run this task,
> SETTINGS: run task as soon a possible after a scheduled ...
>
> I should mention that the user logs off and the computer is put to sleep
> when it is not in use. The log in the event viewer shows that the task
> started (and still going), but the user never gets a message box.
>
> I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem, but when I click
> HISTORY, I get a message that says "one of the logs in the query has errors:
> query is invalid"
>
> Thanks for any insight on this,
>
> Paul

Bob J

RE: Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !
Do you want to run the program manually or do you want the computer to run it
automatically. Scheduler will not just display a message.
--
Regards
Bob J

"Paul" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've got a problem that has me absolutely stumped ! Can you help ?
>
> I have created a task in Vista's task scheduler to run once a week. All the
> task does is display a message to remind the user to run a program (this prog
> won't run automatically). However, no matter what I do the message box never
> comes up. Here are the task settings I set:
>
> GENERAL: run when user is logged on
> TRIGGER: on a schedule-weekly, at 8am, task enabled
> ACTION: display a message
> CONDITIONS: wake the computer to run this task,
> SETTINGS: run task as soon a possible after a scheduled ...
>
> I should mention that the user logs off and the computer is put to sleep
> when it is not in use. The log in the event viewer shows that the task
> started (and still going), but the user never gets a message box.
>
> I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem, but when I click
> HISTORY, I get a message that says "one of the logs in the query has errors:
> query is invalid"
>
> Thanks for any insight on this,
>
> Paul

Paul

RE: Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !
Hello Bob,

I have to run this program manually since this program does not have a "run
automatically at a scheduled time" feature.

I'd love to use calendar, however I am not able to because on Vista home
basic, it crashes because of a bug acknowledeged by Microsoft and described
in : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933942. I have to wait
until they have a reliable fix for it.

Paul
______________________________________
"Bob J" wrote:

> Do you want to run the program manually or do you want the computer to run it
> automatically. Scheduler will not just display a message.
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
>

> "Paul" wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I've got a problem that has me absolutely stumped ! Can you help ?
> >
> > I have created a task in Vista's task scheduler to run once a week. All the
> > task does is display a message to remind the user to run a program (this prog
> > won't run automatically). However, no matter what I do the message box never
> > comes up. Here are the task settings I set:
> >
> > GENERAL: run when user is logged on
> > TRIGGER: on a schedule-weekly, at 8am, task enabled
> > ACTION: display a message
> > CONDITIONS: wake the computer to run this task,
> > SETTINGS: run task as soon a possible after a scheduled ...
> >
> > I should mention that the user logs off and the computer is put to sleep
> > when it is not in use. The log in the event viewer shows that the task
> > started (and still going), but the user never gets a message box.
> >
> > I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem, but when I click
> > HISTORY, I get a message that says "one of the logs in the query has errors:
> > query is invalid"
> >
> > Thanks for any insight on this,
> >
> > Paul

Bob J

RE: Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !
Do you have Windows Works installed there is a calender aavailable in Works
that works OK with Vista.
or
On the Mozilla site there is a calender "Sunbird" which works with Vista OK.
--
Regards
Bob J

"Paul" wrote:

> Hello Bob,
>
> I have to run this program manually since this program does not have a "run
> automatically at a scheduled time" feature.
>
> I'd love to use calendar, however I am not able to because on Vista home
> basic, it crashes because of a bug acknowledeged by Microsoft and described
> in : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933942. I have to wait
> until they have a reliable fix for it.
>
> Paul
> ______________________________________
> "Bob J" wrote:
>
> > Do you want to run the program manually or do you want the computer to run it
> > automatically. Scheduler will not just display a message.
> > --
> > Regards
> > Bob J
> >

> > "Paul" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > I've got a problem that has me absolutely stumped ! Can you help ?
> > >
> > > I have created a task in Vista's task scheduler to run once a week. All the
> > > task does is display a message to remind the user to run a program (this prog
> > > won't run automatically). However, no matter what I do the message box never
> > > comes up. Here are the task settings I set:
> > >
> > > GENERAL: run when user is logged on
> > > TRIGGER: on a schedule-weekly, at 8am, task enabled
> > > ACTION: display a message
> > > CONDITIONS: wake the computer to run this task,
> > > SETTINGS: run task as soon a possible after a scheduled ...
> > >
> > > I should mention that the user logs off and the computer is put to sleep
> > > when it is not in use. The log in the event viewer shows that the task
> > > started (and still going), but the user never gets a message box.
> > >
> > > I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem, but when I click
> > > HISTORY, I get a message that says "one of the logs in the query has errors:
> > > query is invalid"
> > >
> > > Thanks for any insight on this,
> > >
> > > Paul

Richard G. Harper

Re: Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !
Call and ask for the hotfix if you need it. There is no charge. If you're
waiting for Microsoft to release it more broadly (as a monthly patch/update
or whatever) you'll have a long wait as it's not going to be released in
that manner.

> Hello Bob,
>
> I have to run this program manually since this program does not have a
> "run
> automatically at a scheduled time" feature.
>
> I'd love to use calendar, however I am not able to because on Vista home
> basic, it crashes because of a bug acknowledeged by Microsoft and
> described
> in : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933942. I have to wait
> until they have a reliable fix for it.
>
> Paul
> ______________________________________
> "Bob J" wrote:
>
>> Do you want to run the program manually or do you want the computer to
>> run it
>> automatically. Scheduler will not just display a message.
>> --
>> Regards
>> Bob J
>>

>> "Paul" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello everyone,
>> >
>> > I've got a problem that has me absolutely stumped ! Can you help ?
>> >
>> > I have created a task in Vista's task scheduler to run once a week.
>> > All the
>> > task does is display a message to remind the user to run a program
>> > (this prog
>> > won't run automatically). However, no matter what I do the message box
>> > never
>> > comes up. Here are the task settings I set:
>> >
>> > GENERAL: run when user is logged on
>> > TRIGGER: on a schedule-weekly, at 8am, task enabled
>> > ACTION: display a message
>> > CONDITIONS: wake the computer to run this task,
>> > SETTINGS: run task as soon a possible after a scheduled ...
>> >
>> > I should mention that the user logs off and the computer is put to
>> > sleep
>> > when it is not in use. The log in the event viewer shows that the task
>> > started (and still going), but the user never gets a message box.
>> >
>> > I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem, but when I click
>> > HISTORY, I get a message that says "one of the logs in the query has
>> > errors:
>> > query is invalid"
>> >
>> > Thanks for any insight on this,
>> >
>> > Paul

Paul

Re: Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !
Hello Richard,

My only concern is that Microsoft said that they have to run some regression
testing on the hotfix to make sure it works right. They say that it's best
to wait for the official release unless you really REALLY need this fix.

Paul
__________________________

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Call and ask for the hotfix if you need it. There is no charge. If you're
> waiting for Microsoft to release it more broadly (as a monthly patch/update
> or whatever) you'll have a long wait as it's not going to be released in
> that manner.

> "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Bob,
> >
> > I have to run this program manually since this program does not have a
> > "run
> > automatically at a scheduled time" feature.
> >
> > I'd love to use calendar, however I am not able to because on Vista home
> > basic, it crashes because of a bug acknowledeged by Microsoft and
> > described
> > in : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933942. I have to wait
> > until they have a reliable fix for it.
> >
> > Paul
> > ______________________________________
> > "Bob J" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you want to run the program manually or do you want the computer to
> >> run it
> >> automatically. Scheduler will not just display a message.
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >> Bob J

Paul

RE: Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !
Bob,

I don't have Works, so perhaps I should go to mozilla. I assume it's
mozilla.com ?
_______________________________

"Bob J" wrote:

> Do you have Windows Works installed there is a calender aavailable in Works
> that works OK with Vista.
> or
> On the Mozilla site there is a calender "Sunbird" which works with Vista OK.
> --
> Regards
> Bob J
>

> "Paul" wrote:
>
> > Hello Bob,
> >
> > I have to run this program manually since this program does not have a "run
> > automatically at a scheduled time" feature.
> >
> > I'd love to use calendar, however I am not able to because on Vista home
> > basic, it crashes because of a bug acknowledeged by Microsoft and described
> > in : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933942. I have to wait
> > until they have a reliable fix for it.
> >
> > Paul
> > ______________________________________
> > "Bob J" wrote:
> >
> > > Do you want to run the program manually or do you want the computer to run it
> > > automatically. Scheduler will not just display a message.
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Bob J

Richard G. Harper

Re: Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !
Ah ... that's not quite exactly what it says. If you're having the problem
then you need the hotfix. If not then leave it.

> Hello Richard,
>
> My only concern is that Microsoft said that they have to run some
> regression
> testing on the hotfix to make sure it works right. They say that it's
> best
> to wait for the official release unless you really REALLY need this fix.

Paul

Re: Simple scheduled task won't run - no matter what !
Oh, then I must have misinterpreted it. I am definitely having the problem.

I'll go ahead and install the hotfix. Thanks for your help.

Paul