Back-ups

Merle

Back-ups
I cannot make a backup. I get the error " A shadow copy could
not be created for the following reason" Access Denied 0x80070005. I
Tried to Restore to a time when backup worked but had no restore point
from that time.
I could not create a restore point. I tried to get into the group
policy editor to make a restore point but it is not available in premium.
??? don't know why. Checked google but error 0x80070005 seems to cover just
about every problem there is. So Now what? I'm to old to punt. Need Help.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Back-ups
This error occurs because the recovery partition is enabled for File Backup
or System Restore and is almost full. To work around this, do not select D:\
as a backup source. Also, go to System Protection in Control Panel and make
sure that D:\ is not enabled for restore points.

"Merle" <planogram@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I cannot make a backup. I get the error " A shadow copy could
> not be created for the following reason" Access Denied 0x80070005. I
> Tried to Restore to a time when backup worked but had no restore point
> from that time.
> I could not create a restore point. I tried to get into the group
> policy editor to make a restore point but it is not available in premium.
> ??? don't know why. Checked google but error 0x80070005 seems to cover
> just
> about every problem there is. So Now what? I'm to old to punt. Need
> Help.

Merle

Re: Back-ups
Hi Jill: My back up is supposed to be backed up on My second drive (New
Volume L) and has 91 gb free. Drive L is the only drive enabled for back up
and is far from being full. I have gone to the registry and deleted the
DisableConfig value and I have tried unchecking Hide hidden files and
folders Cleared the Hide protected operating system files, and still cannot
make a backup. I thought Vista Basic was the only system with Group Policy
control. I am using vista Premium. I just don't know what else to do.
Just wait and see I guess. Thanks

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This error occurs because the recovery partition is enabled for File
> Backup or System Restore and is almost full. To work around this, do not
> select D:\ as a backup source. Also, go to System Protection in Control
> Panel and make sure that D:\ is not enabled for restore points.

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Merle" <planogram@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I cannot make a backup. I get the error " A shadow copy could
>> not be created for the following reason" Access Denied 0x80070005. I
>> Tried to Restore to a time when backup worked but had no restore point
>> from that time.
>> I could not create a restore point. I tried to get into the group
>> policy editor to make a restore point but it is not available in premium.
>> ??? don't know why. Checked google but error 0x80070005 seems to cover
>> just
>> about every problem there is. So Now what? I'm to old to punt. Need
>> Help.

John Hanley

Re: Back-ups

> Hi Jill: My back up is supposed to be backed up on My second drive (New
> Volume L) and has 91 gb free. Drive L is the only drive enabled for back
> up and is far from being full. I have gone to the registry and deleted
> the DisableConfig value and I have tried unchecking Hide hidden files and
> folders Cleared the Hide protected operating system files, and still
> cannot make a backup. I thought Vista Basic was the only system with
> Group Policy control. I am using vista Premium. I just don't know what
> else to do. Just wait and see I guess. Thanks
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> This error occurs because the recovery partition is enabled for File
>> Backup or System Restore and is almost full. To work around this, do not
>> select D:\ as a backup source. Also, go to System Protection in Control
>> Panel and make sure that D:\ is not enabled for restore points.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Merle" <planogram@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I cannot make a backup. I get the error " A shadow copy could
>>> not be created for the following reason" Access Denied 0x80070005.
>>> Tried to Restore to a time when backup worked but had no restore point
>>> from that time.
>>> I could not create a restore point. I tried to get into the group
>>> policy editor to make a restore point but it is not available in
>>> premium.
>>> ??? don't know why. Checked google but error 0x80070005 seems to cover
>>> just
>>> about every problem there is. So Now what? I'm to old to punt. Need
>>> Help.

Perhaps this discussion from another post will help?
--------------------------------------
Michael you're a star! Tried as you suggested and it worked a treat.

MANY THANKS
Jamie

"Michael" wrote:

> Jamie,
> I suspect that the system is trying to create shadow copy of files on the
> D: drive on the D: drive, and no room in the inn.
> First thing I would do is delete the backup files that have been placed on
> the D: drive already, then clean the trash bin.
>
> Assuming (again) that the D: drive is actually the recovery partition, you
> really don't want Vista to be playing with it at all. It is there only to
> provide a last ditch restore the system to 'as purchased' and lose all
> your information. ( I also have a DELL which had a botched VISTA install
> and recovery partition).
> To keep Vista from seeing it, but not harming the data on there, simply
> remove the drive letter, no drive letter (D Vista cannot see it.
>
> Start "Computer Management" program
> Select Storage / Disk Management
> For Disk 0 you probably show a 55MB, a 10GB, and a big partition.
> The 10 GB is probably given the volume D:
> Right click on it, then 'Change drive letter and paths'
> highlight the D:, and remove.
>
> This will not damage the contents and is easily reversed if desired. (MY
> opinion is that DELL should have not assigned D: in the first place!).
>
> Michael
>
> "Jamiemack" <Jamiemack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new DELL dimension E520 with vista business installed by Dell.
> >The
> > computer was set up to backup files to the recovery "D" drive. After
> > only
> > three weeks or so I started getting messages saying the last backup had
> > failed due to insufficient disk space (the partitioned D drive was set
> > at
> > 10GB and almost all of the space had been used). Since I wanted to do
> > complete PC backups and considered the that backing up to the same hard
> > disk
> > pointless anyway, I purchased a 250GB external drive thinking this would
> > be
> > the end of my problems. unfortunately this has not been the case. When I
> > set
> > the target drive for backups as the new external drive and try a
> > complete PC
> > backup, I still get the message "Not enough disk space to create the
> > shadow
> > copy on the storage location 0x80780035" under additional information I
> > get
> > "Insufficeint storage available to create either the shadow copy storage
> > file
> > or other shadow copy data (0x8004231F)"
> >
> > Even when I try a file only backup I get this last message.
> >
> > The new external drive has been formatted NTFS and is so far empty.
> >
> > Am I missing something here?
> >
> > Jamie

Merle

Re: Back-ups
I repeat: My back up is supposed to be backed up on My second drive (New
Volume L) and has 91 gb free. Drive L is the only drive enabled for back up
and is far from being full It is NOT a recovery partition. I have gone to