A newly acquired Warning

Philco

A newly acquired Warning
Windows XP Professional (I have installed the required Service Packs)

I have just started receiving the following warning when I try to go to an
http site:

Windows cannot find 'http://www._____/'. Make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click ;the start button,
and then click Search.

I am directed correctly to whatever http site I choose, but this annoying
warning stays on the desktop until I send it away by clicking the "OK" button.

Perhaps the following is pertinent: this annoying warning started after I
tried (unsuccessfully) to join the Autocad Users Group International (AUGI).

If someone can help me get rid of this warning, I would be very appreciative.
Sincerely,
Phil
Cal Bear '66

Re: A newly acquired Warning
This is a V I S T A group.
Post your question to an XP group.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Philco" <Philco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Professional (I have installed the required Service Packs)
>
> I have just started receiving the following warning when I try to go to an
> http site:
>
> Windows cannot find 'http://www._____/'. Make sure you typed the name
> correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click ;the start button,
> and then click Search.
>
> I am directed correctly to whatever http site I choose, but this annoying
> warning stays on the desktop until I send it away by clicking the "OK" button.
>
> Perhaps the following is pertinent: this annoying warning started after I
> tried (unsuccessfully) to join the Autocad Users Group International (AUGI).
>
> If someone can help me get rid of this warning, I would be very appreciative.
> Sincerely,
> Phil

Charlie Tame

Re: A newly acquired Warning
Philco wrote:
> Windows XP Professional (I have installed the required Service Packs)
>
> I have just started receiving the following warning when I try to go to an
> http site:
>
> Windows cannot find 'http://www._____/'. Make sure you typed the name
> correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click ;the start button,
> and then click Search.
>
> I am directed correctly to whatever http site I choose, but this annoying
> warning stays on the desktop until I send it away by clicking the "OK" button.
>
> Perhaps the following is pertinent: this annoying warning started after I
> tried (unsuccessfully) to join the Autocad Users Group International (AUGI).
>
> If someone can help me get rid of this warning, I would be very appreciative.
> Sincerely,
> Phil

Well XP or Vista it looks like something Malware or a browser hijack
might leave behind. I'd say this is also an IE question and you should
try looking at some REPUTABLE security software - which I've lost track
of a bit so ask around. Do NOT just go install something that claims to
remove spyware without asking in these groups because often the darned
things are as bad or worse than you already have.

There seems to be a real website related to printers called something
similar, could be a partial install that failed is simply looking for
something related to the product you were installing so don't panic,
just looks around for similar symptoms.