Windows Index Score Won't Work

Benchmark8660

Windows Index Score Won't Work
I have Vista on both my laptop and on my Desktop. When I go to control
panel\Performance Information Tools on my laptop I see everything I am
supposed to and I can update or refresh my score. However when I go to the
same place on my Desktop the last thing I see is "Not sure where to start?
Learn how you can improve your computer's performance." and the rest is just
a blank white page I don't see a score and I can't update or refresh my
score. I wouldn't care but this is impairing my ability to install software.
Has anyone else run into this problem? I really don't want to reinstall and
when you boot from the CD the repair option doesn't really do much for this
scenario. Any help would be appreciated! Oh and before you ask, yes my
windows is genuine.
dean-dean

Re: Windows Index Score Won't Work
On your computer where Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools is
broken, try this. In the registry editor, navigate to the following two
keys (both keys may not be present, but you probably have one or the other):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Control
Panel \ Performance Control Panel

In the right-pane, delete the value named PerfcplEnabled (if found).

-And/Or-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Control

"Benchmark8660" <Benchmark8660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista on both my laptop and on my Desktop. When I go to control
> panel\Performance Information Tools on my laptop I see everything I am
> supposed to and I can update or refresh my score. However when I go to the
> same place on my Desktop the last thing I see is "Not sure where to start?
> Learn how you can improve your computer's performance." and the rest is
> just
> a blank white page I don't see a score and I can't update or refresh my
> score. I wouldn't care but this is impairing my ability to install
> software.
> Has anyone else run into this problem? I really don't want to reinstall
> and
> when you boot from the CD the repair option doesn't really do much for
> this
> scenario. Any help would be appreciated! Oh and before you ask, yes my
> windows is genuine.

Benchmark8660

Re: Windows Index Score Won't Work
Ok, I did that and it seemed to work at first because the "rate your computer
button" was there, however when it was finished I got this error message.
"Cannot complete assessment. The assessment or other operation did not
complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the
operating system, driver, or other component... Do you have any other ideas
or is this just a botched installation?

"dean-dean" wrote:

> On your computer where Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools is
> broken, try this. In the registry editor, navigate to the following two
> keys (both keys may not be present, but you probably have one or the other):
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Control
> Panel \ Performance Control Panel
>
> In the right-pane, delete the value named PerfcplEnabled (if found).
>
> -And/Or-
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Control
> Panel \ Performance Control Panel
>
> In the right-pane, delete the value named PerfcplEnabled (if found).
>

> "Benchmark8660" <Benchmark8660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista on both my laptop and on my Desktop. When I go to control
> > panel\Performance Information Tools on my laptop I see everything I am
> > supposed to and I can update or refresh my score. However when I go to the
> > same place on my Desktop the last thing I see is "Not sure where to start?
> > Learn how you can improve your computer's performance." and the rest is
> > just
> > a blank white page I don't see a score and I can't update or refresh my
> > score. I wouldn't care but this is impairing my ability to install
> > software.
> > Has anyone else run into this problem? I really don't want to reinstall
> > and
> > when you boot from the CD the repair option doesn't really do much for
> > this
> > scenario. Any help would be appreciated! Oh and before you ask, yes my
> > windows is genuine.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Windows Index Score Won't Work
Windows Experience Index - Performance Information and Tools page is completely blank:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/152/1/

--
Regards,

[...]

It sounds like it might just work, unfortunatly, Vista Home Premium doesn't
have a group policy editor, you need buisness or ultimate for that. Is there
a way to install it or some way around this issue?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Windows Experience Index - Performance Information and Tools page is completely blank:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/152/1/
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Benchmark8660" <Benchmark8660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA2C91B0-C6D1-4D29-BB59-7789D1B56C18@microsoft.com...
> I have Vista on both my laptop and on my Desktop. When I go to control
> panel\Performance Information Tools on my laptop I see everything I am
> supposed to and I can update or refresh my score. However when I go to the
> same place on my Desktop the last thing I see is "Not sure where to start?
> Learn how you can improve your computer's performance." and the rest is just
> a blank white page I don't see a score and I can't update or refresh my
> score. I wouldn't care but this is impairing my ability to install software.
> Has anyone else run into this problem? I really don't want to reinstall and
> when you boot from the CD the repair option doesn't really do much for this
> scenario. Any help would be appreciated! Oh and before you ask, yes my
> windows is genuine.

Benchmark8660

Re: Windows Index Score Won't Work
I just read the rest of that page where it tells you what to do if you have a
version without the gpedit. unfortunatly it's the same suggestion that
dean-dean gave me and I'm still getting the same error message as before
which is "Cannot complete assessment, The assessment or other operation did

"Benchmark8660" wrote:

> It sounds like it might just work, unfortunatly, Vista Home Premium doesn't
> have a group policy editor, you need buisness or ultimate for that. Is there
> a way to install it or some way around this issue?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Windows Experience Index - Performance Information and Tools page is completely blank:
> > http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/152/1/
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "Benchmark8660" <Benchmark8660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA2C91B0-C6D1-4D29-BB59-7789D1B56C18@microsoft.com...
> > I have Vista on both my laptop and on my Desktop. When I go to control
> > panel\Performance Information Tools on my laptop I see everything I am
> > supposed to and I can update or refresh my score. However when I go to the
> > same place on my Desktop the last thing I see is "Not sure where to start?
> > Learn how you can improve your computer's performance." and the rest is just
> > a blank white page I don't see a score and I can't update or refresh my
> > score. I wouldn't care but this is impairing my ability to install software.
> > Has anyone else run into this problem? I really don't want to reinstall and
> > when you boot from the CD the repair option doesn't really do much for this
> > scenario. Any help would be appreciated! Oh and before you ask, yes my
> > windows is genuine.

P. Di Stolfo

Re: Windows Index Score Won't Work
Hello,

so could be there an issue with a display/graphics driver? Have you updated them?

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

"Benchmark8660" <Benchmark8660@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:277A1B70-077B-4AC6-A357-545177869C2D@microsoft.com...
>I just read the rest of that page where it tells you what to do if you have a
> version without the gpedit. unfortunatly it's the same suggestion that
> dean-dean gave me and I'm still getting the same error message as before
> which is "Cannot complete assessment, The assessment or other operation did
> not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the
> operating system, driver, or other component."
>
> "Benchmark8660" wrote:
>
>> It sounds like it might just work, unfortunatly, Vista Home Premium doesn't
>> have a group policy editor, you need buisness or ultimate for that. Is there
>> a way to install it or some way around this issue?
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Windows Experience Index - Performance Information and Tools page is completely blank:
>> > http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/152/1/
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>> > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>> >

>> > "Benchmark8660" <Benchmark8660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA2C91B0-C6D1-4D29-BB59-7789D1B56C18@microsoft.com...
>> > I have Vista on both my laptop and on my Desktop. When I go to control
>> > panel\Performance Information Tools on my laptop I see everything I am
>> > supposed to and I can update or refresh my score. However when I go to the
>> > same place on my Desktop the last thing I see is "Not sure where to start?
>> > Learn how you can improve your computer's performance." and the rest is just
>> > a blank white page I don't see a score and I can't update or refresh my
>> > score. I wouldn't care but this is impairing my ability to install software.
>> > Has anyone else run into this problem? I really don't want to reinstall and
>> > when you boot from the CD the repair option doesn't really do much for this
>> > scenario. Any help would be appreciated! Oh and before you ask, yes my
>> > windows is genuine.

AM

Re: Windows Index Score Won't Work
Just a shot in the dark, last time the Performance Index didnt work for me it
was due to a 3rd party app, TweakVI, which disables it by default.

AM

"Benchmark8660" wrote:

> I just read the rest of that page where it tells you what to do if you have a
> version without the gpedit. unfortunatly it's the same suggestion that
> dean-dean gave me and I'm still getting the same error message as before
> which is "Cannot complete assessment, The assessment or other operation did
> not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the
> operating system, driver, or other component."
>
> "Benchmark8660" wrote:
>
> > It sounds like it might just work, unfortunatly, Vista Home Premium doesn't
> > have a group policy editor, you need buisness or ultimate for that. Is there
> > a way to install it or some way around this issue?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Windows Experience Index - Performance Information and Tools page is completely blank:
> > > http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/152/1/
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> > >

> > > "Benchmark8660" <Benchmark8660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA2C91B0-C6D1-4D29-BB59-7789D1B56C18@microsoft.com...
> > > I have Vista on both my laptop and on my Desktop. When I go to control
> > > panel\Performance Information Tools on my laptop I see everything I am
> > > supposed to and I can update or refresh my score. However when I go to the
> > > same place on my Desktop the last thing I see is "Not sure where to start?
> > > Learn how you can improve your computer's performance." and the rest is just
> > > a blank white page I don't see a score and I can't update or refresh my
> > > score. I wouldn't care but this is impairing my ability to install software.
> > > Has anyone else run into this problem? I really don't want to reinstall and
> > > when you boot from the CD the repair option doesn't really do much for this
> > > scenario. Any help would be appreciated! Oh and before you ask, yes my
> > > windows is genuine.

dean-dean

Re: Windows Index Score Won't Work
The Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools "blank page" problem and
"cannot complete assessment" problem would be two separate issues. As to
"cannot complete assessment", does Device Manager show any Unknown or
Problem Devices? Do you have the latest Sound and Display drivers that are
Vista compatible? If so, you could try this:

Go to C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore and create a New Folder within
the DataStore folder. Cut and Paste all the XML Documents (.xml files) in
DataStore into the New Folder. Then try to update your score. If this
doesn't work, move the .xml files back as they were, and delete the empty
New Folder.

You could also read the winsat.log under C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT to
help determine where "Update my score" is failing.

> Ok, I did that and it seemed to work at first because the "rate your
> computer
> button" was there, however when it was finished I got this error message.
> "Cannot complete assessment. The assessment or other operation did not
> complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the
> operating system, driver, or other component... Do you have any other
> ideas
> or is this just a botched installation?
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> On your computer where Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools is
>> broken, try this. In the registry editor, navigate to the following two
>> keys (both keys may not be present, but you probably have one or the
>> other):
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Control
>> Panel \ Performance Control Panel
>>
>> In the right-pane, delete the value named PerfcplEnabled (if found).
>>
>> -And/Or-
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Control
>> Panel \ Performance Control Panel
>>
>> In the right-pane, delete the value named PerfcplEnabled (if found).
>>

>> "Benchmark8660" <Benchmark8660@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I have Vista on both my laptop and on my Desktop. When I go to control
>> > panel\Performance Information Tools on my laptop I see everything I am
>> > supposed to and I can update or refresh my score. However when I go to
>> > the
>> > same place on my Desktop the last thing I see is "Not sure where to
>> > start?
>> > Learn how you can improve your computer's performance." and the rest is
>> > just
>> > a blank white page I don't see a score and I can't update or refresh my
>> > score. I wouldn't care but this is impairing my ability to install
>> > software.
>> > Has anyone else run into this problem? I really don't want to reinstall
>> > and
>> > when you boot from the CD the repair option doesn't really do much for
>> > this
>> > scenario. Any help would be appreciated! Oh and before you ask, yes my
>> > windows is genuine.

Hertz_Donut

Re: Windows Index Score Won't Work
Hmm...

I have TweakVI installed on several machines and not one of them has the
Performance Index disabled.

Honu

news4BA2E08-750B-4EB8-8C08-BF635DBB84E0@microsoft.com...