CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller

Ed.

CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
Hi,

I've been running Vista x64 since it came out and have had no
performance issues with it whatsoever until today. I turned the
machine on today, and it's running dog slow with both cores of my
Pentium D 805 pegged at near 100%. All I can tell from Task Manager
is TrustedInstaller is taking up a large chunk of the CPU. I have no
other applications running. I have 1 GB RAM and a large, fast hard
drive. I've installed all the important Windows updates. Any idea
what could be going on?

Thanks.
Ed.

31137 MonsteR

RE: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
mines doing the same thing, just today, was weird
i looked nothing big was running, and i couldn't get basic things to open
just froze.
i got speedfan running and it showed a cpu temp of 144f way above my average
102, and running 100% capacity
if you dont got speedfan copy past--->
http://www.filehippo.com/download_speedfan/
see if your having the same prob if your not sure

"Ed." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been running Vista x64 since it came out and have had no
> performance issues with it whatsoever until today. I turned the
> machine on today, and it's running dog slow with both cores of my
> Pentium D 805 pegged at near 100%. All I can tell from Task Manager
> is TrustedInstaller is taking up a large chunk of the CPU. I have no
> other applications running. I have 1 GB RAM and a large, fast hard
> drive. I've installed all the important Windows updates. Any idea
> what could be going on?
>
> Thanks.
> Ed.

Ed.

Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
I think I stumbled across the answer. I had changed my power settings
from Performance to Power Saver. I changed them back to Performance
and now everything seems OK. I don't know why that would have made a
difference, but everything seems back to normal now.

On Jul 5, 9:09 pm, "Ed." <edhal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running Vista x64 since it came out and have had no
> performance issues with it whatsoever until today. I turned the
> machine on today, and it's running dog slow with both cores of my
> Pentium D 805 pegged at near 100%. All I can tell from Task Manager
> is TrustedInstaller is taking up a large chunk of the CPU. I have no
> other applications running. I have 1 GB RAM and a large, fast hard
> drive. I've installed all the important Windows updates. Any idea
> what could be going on?
>
> Thanks.
> Ed.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
Hello Ed
Changing the power settings shouldn't have affected trustedinstaller.
Can you see if you revert the change does trustedinstaller again consume
100% cpu?
I suspect something else was going on with trustedinstaller when the CPU
was pegged.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: "Ed." <edhalsim@gmail.com>
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
|> Subject: Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
|> Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:20:28 -0700
|>
|> I think I stumbled across the answer. I had changed my power settings
|> from Performance to Power Saver. I changed them back to Performance
|> and now everything seems OK. I don't know why that would have made a
|> difference, but everything seems back to normal now.
|>
|> On Jul 5, 9:09 pm, "Ed." <edhal...@gmail.com> wrote:
|> > Hi,
|> >
|> > I've been running Vista x64 since it came out and have had no
|> > performance issues with it whatsoever until today. I turned the
|> > machine on today, and it's running dog slow with both cores of my
|> > Pentium D 805 pegged at near 100%. All I can tell from Task Manager
|> > is TrustedInstaller is taking up a large chunk of the CPU. I have no
|> > other applications running. I have 1 GB RAM and a large, fast hard
|> > drive. I've installed all the important Windows updates. Any idea
|> > what could be going on?
|> >
|> > Thanks.
|> > Ed.

MG

Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
Darrell,

there are quite a few reports on Google now on this TrustedInstaller.exe at
100% CPU on Vista issue. I noticed that it kicks in after setup_wm.exe runs
(zachd [MSFT] hinted that it has something to do with the Windows Media
Player update check). But there are other occasions were it runs.

I suspect that this problem occurs much more often and people do not notice
it, since it only runs sporadically and only for a few minutes. It is kinda
like running "sfc /VERIFYONLY".

Is there some task scheduled that could trigger TrustedInstaller.exe to run?

Regards,
Marius

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Ed
> Changing the power settings shouldn't have affected trustedinstaller.
> Can you see if you revert the change does trustedinstaller again consume
> 100% cpu?
> I suspect something else was going on with trustedinstaller when the CPU
> was pegged.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |> From: "Ed." <edhalsim@gmail.com>
> |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
> |> Subject: Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
> |> Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:20:28 -0700
> |>
> |> I think I stumbled across the answer. I had changed my power settings
> |> from Performance to Power Saver. I changed them back to Performance
> |> and now everything seems OK. I don't know why that would have made a
> |> difference, but everything seems back to normal now.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
Hello Marius,
That could be it, more than likely trustedinstaller is checking for updates
or responding to someone requesting a check for updates.
Looking into this some more.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: "MG" <honk555@newsgroup.nospam>
|> Subject: Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
|> Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:31:45 +0200
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
|>
|> Darrell,
|>
|> there are quite a few reports on Google now on this TrustedInstaller.exe
at
|> 100% CPU on Vista issue. I noticed that it kicks in after setup_wm.exe
runs
|> (zachd [MSFT] hinted that it has something to do with the Windows Media
|> Player update check). But there are other occasions were it runs.
|>
|> I suspect that this problem occurs much more often and people do not
notice
|> it, since it only runs sporadically and only for a few minutes. It is
kinda
|> like running "sfc /VERIFYONLY".
|>
|> Is there some task scheduled that could trigger TrustedInstaller.exe to
run?

|> Regards,
|> Marius
|>
|> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
|> > Hello Ed
|> > Changing the power settings shouldn't have affected trustedinstaller.
|> > Can you see if you revert the change does trustedinstaller again
consume
|> > 100% cpu?
|> > I suspect something else was going on with trustedinstaller when the
CPU
|> > was pegged.
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------
TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSF TFEEDS02.phx.gbl!msrtrans!

msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!postnews.google.com!w3g2000hsg .googlegroups.com!not
|> > -for-mail

Manager

paulb9

Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
Hi, I'm having the same problem. I have a Core 2 Duo and 4GB memory. I have
to restart several times to come up without TrustedInstaller running. I pegs
one core and runs forever. If Come up without it running it starts after I
start say Media Player. Makes it totally unusable. Alot of reports of this
are on the Internet but no one seems to have a solution. I suspect it is the
result of a recent patch by Microsoft as everyone is starting to report it
more or less at the same time. Hopefully MS reads this newsgroup and will
fix it.

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello Marius,
> That could be it, more than likely trustedinstaller is checking for updates
> or responding to someone requesting a check for updates.
> Looking into this some more.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |> From: "MG" <honk555@newsgroup.nospam>
> |> Subject: Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
> |> Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:31:45 +0200
> |> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
> |>
> |> Darrell,
> |>
> |> there are quite a few reports on Google now on this TrustedInstaller.exe
> at
> |> 100% CPU on Vista issue. I noticed that it kicks in after setup_wm.exe
> runs
> |> (zachd [MSFT] hinted that it has something to do with the Windows Media
> |> Player update check). But there are other occasions were it runs.
> |>
> |> I suspect that this problem occurs much more often and people do not
> notice
> |> it, since it only runs sporadically and only for a few minutes. It is
> kinda
> |> like running "sfc /VERIFYONLY".
> |>
> |> Is there some task scheduled that could trigger TrustedInstaller.exe to
> run?
> |>
> |> Regards,
> |> Marius
> |>
> |> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> consume
> CPU

> rights
> TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSF TFEEDS02.phx.gbl!msrtrans!
> |> >
> msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!postnews.google.com!w3g2000hsg .googlegroups.com!not

> settings

> Manager
> have no
> hard
> idea

Xavier

Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
Same problem with me, w/ vista ultimate 32 bit. I think it´s related to the
update service service, but not sure. I Microsoft should explain what this
process do because it does not seem that "trusted" for me if it´s eating my
processor every other minute. Sad to say but Vista has been also a great
disapointment. All the graphic stuff is just a makeup I think that not many
people even appreciate or even use.

"paulb9" wrote:

> Hi, I'm having the same problem. I have a Core 2 Duo and 4GB memory. I have
> to restart several times to come up without TrustedInstaller running. I pegs
> one core and runs forever. If Come up without it running it starts after I
> start say Media Player. Makes it totally unusable. Alot of reports of this
> are on the Internet but no one seems to have a solution. I suspect it is the
> result of a recent patch by Microsoft as everyone is starting to report it
> more or less at the same time. Hopefully MS reads this newsgroup and will
> fix it.
>
> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
>
> > Hello Marius,
> > That could be it, more than likely trustedinstaller is checking for updates
> > or responding to someone requesting a check for updates.
> > Looking into this some more.
> > Thanks,
> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
> >
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
> > --------------------

> > at
> > runs

> > notice
> > kinda

> > run?

> > message
> > consume
> > CPU

> > rights
> > TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSF TFEEDS02.phx.gbl!msrtrans!
> > |> >
> > msrn-in!newshub.sdsu.edu!postnews.google.com!w3g2000hsg .googlegroups.com!not

> > settings

> > Manager
> > have no
> > hard
> > idea

MarcusK

Re: CPU pegged at near 100% - TrustedInstaller
I'm also having problems with trustedinstaller for a few days. It started
suddendly. Today also Services.exe started to take 40% of the CPU time.
Process Explorer didn't show any special information.

Is there any solutions yet, since this problem seems to be reported for a
while already.

Marcus