windows vista freezing

Paul

windows vista freezing
I am getting a lot of freezes with windows vista, where the mouse only works
then a couple of mins later that freezes too. The only way round is to
switch off, into safe mode, then re boot into windows.

It seems to have stopped now I have removed the Nvida 64 bit latest drivers
and reverted to the ones that came with the disc.

Is anyone else having problems, is it the drivers or something more serious?

(I tried removing them & reinstalling the Nvidia ones to no avail)

Paul

Rick Rogers

Re: windows vista freezing
Hi,

You might want to try running the memory diagnostic tool as well. Freezing
is more often a symptom of a hardware problem.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Paul" <paulr@sirlesmutrie.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am getting a lot of freezes with windows vista, where the mouse only
>works then a couple of mins later that freezes too. The only way round is
>to switch off, into safe mode, then re boot into windows.
>
> It seems to have stopped now I have removed the Nvida 64 bit latest
> drivers and reverted to the ones that came with the disc.
>
> Is anyone else having problems, is it the drivers or something more
> serious?
>
> (I tried removing them & reinstalling the Nvidia ones to no avail)
>
> Paul

Spirit

Re: windows vista freezing
Video drivers can cause the problem.. as Rick said its usually hardware
however
your video drivers are notorious for this sudden freeze and then recovery.

"Paul" <paulr@sirlesmutrie.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am getting a lot of freezes with windows vista, where the mouse only
>works then a couple of mins later that freezes too. The only way round is
>to switch off, into safe mode, then re boot into windows.
>
> It seems to have stopped now I have removed the Nvida 64 bit latest
> drivers and reverted to the ones that came with the disc.
>
> Is anyone else having problems, is it the drivers or something more
> serious?
>
> (I tried removing them & reinstalling the Nvidia ones to no avail)
>
> Paul

Degs

Re: windows vista freezing
I have a similar problem but I have only noticed it in Explorer. The screen
seems to freeze in Explorer but I can move the mouse and open other progs but
then they stop and I go into ghost mode. The hard drive light shows that it
is running while this is happening. Then it's like Bingo and everything comes
back to life. Occasionally I have had to reboot but I removed Yahoo messenger
and assorted bits from yahoo and that seems to have sorted that out but I
still get this annoying freeze anyone have any ideas. Degs

"Spirit" wrote:

> Video drivers can cause the problem.. as Rick said its usually hardware
> however
> your video drivers are notorious for this sudden freeze and then recovery.
>
> "Paul" <paulr@sirlesmutrie.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I am getting a lot of freezes with windows vista, where the mouse only
> >works then a couple of mins later that freezes too. The only way round is
> >to switch off, into safe mode, then re boot into windows.
> >
> > It seems to have stopped now I have removed the Nvida 64 bit latest
> > drivers and reverted to the ones that came with the disc.
> >
> > Is anyone else having problems, is it the drivers or something more
> > serious?
> >
> > (I tried removing them & reinstalling the Nvidia ones to no avail)
> >
> > Paul

Paul

Re: windows vista freezing
Well, I checked the memory but it came up no faults found, so I un installed
the Video drivers, and ran it for a day or so, no problems.

I then tried re-installing the Nvida drivers and bingo, it locked up again
about 1/2 hour later.
So, I've uninstalled them again, and after 4 hours no lock ups.

Guess it is the drivers after all.

"Degs" <Degs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a similar problem but I have only noticed it in Explorer. The screen
> seems to freeze in Explorer but I can move the mouse and open other progs
> but
> then they stop and I go into ghost mode. The hard drive light shows that
> it
> is running while this is happening. Then it's like Bingo and everything
> comes
> back to life. Occasionally I have had to reboot but I removed Yahoo
> messenger
> and assorted bits from yahoo and that seems to have sorted that out but I
> still get this annoying freeze anyone have any ideas. Degs
>
> "Spirit" wrote:
>
>> Video drivers can cause the problem.. as Rick said its usually hardware
>> however
>> your video drivers are notorious for this sudden freeze and then
>> recovery.
>>
>> "Paul" <paulr@sirlesmutrie.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >I am getting a lot of freezes with windows vista, where the mouse only
>> >works then a couple of mins later that freezes too. The only way round
>> >is
>> >to switch off, into safe mode, then re boot into windows.
>> >
>> > It seems to have stopped now I have removed the Nvida 64 bit latest
>> > drivers and reverted to the ones that came with the disc.
>> >
>> > Is anyone else having problems, is it the drivers or something more
>> > serious?
>> >
>> > (I tried removing them & reinstalling the Nvidia ones to no avail)
>> >
>> > Paul

DAVIDY

Re: windows vista freezing
Are all you guys all trained to say "hardware problem"???
--
David Y

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You might want to try running the memory diagnostic tool as well. Freezing
> is more often a symptom of a hardware problem.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Paul" <paulr@sirlesmutrie.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I am getting a lot of freezes with windows vista, where the mouse only
> >works then a couple of mins later that freezes too. The only way round is
> >to switch off, into safe mode, then re boot into windows.
> >
> > It seems to have stopped now I have removed the Nvida 64 bit latest
> > drivers and reverted to the ones that came with the disc.
> >
> > Is anyone else having problems, is it the drivers or something more
> > serious?
> >
> > (I tried removing them & reinstalling the Nvidia ones to no avail)
> >
> > Paul

Spirit

Re: windows vista freezing
Glad you found it, as I said video drivers are notorious for this problem.

> Well, I checked the memory but it came up no faults found, so I un
> installed
> the Video drivers, and ran it for a day or so, no problems.
>
> I then tried re-installing the Nvida drivers and bingo, it locked up again
> about 1/2 hour later.
> So, I've uninstalled them again, and after 4 hours no lock ups.
>
> Guess it is the drivers after all.
>

> "Degs" <Degs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a similar problem but I have only noticed it in Explorer. The
>>screen
>> seems to freeze in Explorer but I can move the mouse and open other progs
>> but
>> then they stop and I go into ghost mode. The hard drive light shows that
>> it
>> is running while this is happening. Then it's like Bingo and everything
>> comes
>> back to life. Occasionally I have had to reboot but I removed Yahoo
>> messenger
>> and assorted bits from yahoo and that seems to have sorted that out but I
>> still get this annoying freeze anyone have any ideas. Degs
>>
>> "Spirit" wrote:
>>
>>> Video drivers can cause the problem.. as Rick said its usually hardware
>>> however
>>> your video drivers are notorious for this sudden freeze and then
>>> recovery.

Rick Rogers

Re: windows vista freezing
Depends, David. If it is probably a hardware problem, then that's what I say
it is. Freezing is nearly always a hardware issue, most commonly flakey ram,
though on occasion it proves to be video driver related.

By the way, us "guys" (and many are woman as well, so I use the term loosely
and generically) base this on years of dealing with systems that freeze up.
No one "trained" anyone to state that it's a "hardware problem" other than
our own experience.

--

"DAVIDY" <DAVIDY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are all you guys all trained to say "hardware problem"???
> --
> David Y
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You might want to try running the memory diagnostic tool as well.
>> Freezing
>> is more often a symptom of a hardware problem.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Paul" <paulr@sirlesmutrie.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >I am getting a lot of freezes with windows vista, where the mouse only
>> >works then a couple of mins later that freezes too. The only way round
>> >is
>> >to switch off, into safe mode, then re boot into windows.
>> >
>> > It seems to have stopped now I have removed the Nvida 64 bit latest
>> > drivers and reverted to the ones that came with the disc.
>> >
>> > Is anyone else having problems, is it the drivers or something more
>> > serious?
>> >
>> > (I tried removing them & reinstalling the Nvidia ones to no avail)
>> >
>> > Paul

foster_branch_2004

Re: windows vista freezing
Good morning, I am getting screen saver/vista lock ups with the original
drivers and with the newest drivers from evga (nvidia). Any thoughts on how
to remedy this ? Perhaps I need to change the video card ?

"Spirit" wrote:

> Glad you found it, as I said video drivers are notorious for this problem.
>
> "Paul" <paulr@sirlesmutrie.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Well, I checked the memory but it came up no faults found, so I un
> > installed
> > the Video drivers, and ran it for a day or so, no problems.
> >
> > I then tried re-installing the Nvida drivers and bingo, it locked up again
> > about 1/2 hour later.
> > So, I've uninstalled them again, and after 4 hours no lock ups.
> >
> > Guess it is the drivers after all.
> >

> > "Degs" <Degs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have a similar problem but I have only noticed it in Explorer. The
> >>screen
> >> seems to freeze in Explorer but I can move the mouse and open other progs
> >> but
> >> then they stop and I go into ghost mode. The hard drive light shows that
> >> it
> >> is running while this is happening. Then it's like Bingo and everything
> >> comes
> >> back to life. Occasionally I have had to reboot but I removed Yahoo
> >> messenger
> >> and assorted bits from yahoo and that seems to have sorted that out but I
> >> still get this annoying freeze anyone have any ideas. Degs

Spirit

Re: windows vista freezing
I have heard that Nvidia's newest drivers as of July 5, 2007 caused issues.
Try reverting back one or two as a test. (I put the date there so in future
someone reading this post might realize the issue could have been fixed
by a newer driver.)

"foster_branch_2004" <foster_branch_2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1C8BDF3A-3962-4196-9891-F8C00C92830C@microsoft.com...