Slow running PC since I installed Vista

lesley

Slow running PC since I installed Vista
Hi I have just installed Vista and my PC is so slow it wont play games that
were installed before the Vista experience - I have up graded my memory but
it is still running slow
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Slow running PC since I installed Vista
Lesley;
Upgrade or Clean Installation?
If upgrade, is all your software compatible with Windows especially
antivirus and other malware tools?

How much memory?
At least 1 GB or more may be necessary depending on the games.

Are there Windows Vista drivers for all your hardware? Particularly
your Video card?

Is the computer ready for Windows Vista:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...id=10008VH b1
The Upgrade Advisor is just that, an advisor and not in any way a
magic bullet.
You should verify directly with the manufacturers Vista compatibility
with your essential hardware and software.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"lesley" <lesley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I have just installed Vista and my PC is so slow it wont play
> games that
> were installed before the Vista experience - I have up graded my
> memory but
> it is still running slow

Charlie Tame

lesley wrote:
> Hi I have just installed Vista and my PC is so slow it wont play games that
> were installed before the Vista experience - I have up graded my memory but
> it is still running slow

If you started with a clean disk drive or did a clean install of vista
it may be that your motherboard's drivers are not right... you will need
to find out what make it is and go to their website to find new drivers
etc. For example the ships on the board may need a driver program for
the disk drive interface. It will probably work but may be slow. This
applies to a number of things. If you have the original disks from when
the machine was bought it will help locate these things, if not you can
try running belarc advisor http://www.belarc.com/ if you have no way of
knowing what's in the box, it may help.

If you can give a few more details as Mr Jones suggests it may be easier
to help you.
dcmsrdld

Re: Slow running PC since I installed Vista
I have a ? not entirely related to this but maybe you can steer me to the
right area.

I'm having a major issue with a clean install of Vista Home Premium.

Install's fine. Runs fine for awhile, then the machine locks up frequently.

Seems like the more days I run the program on the hard drive the more
frequent and faster the lock-ups.

I have 1 gig of ddr memmory.
new video card with 256mg ram.
intel pentium 4 2 gig processor.

Advisor said everything was fine, but did says the onboard MIDI was
incompatabile from Nvidia, and they found no drivers available.

I had a clean formated hard drive when I started.

Any suggestion or new areas to read on?

Thanks for any replies of help or suggestions,
Doug

"Charlie Tame" wrote:

> lesley wrote:
> > Hi I have just installed Vista and my PC is so slow it wont play games that
> > were installed before the Vista experience - I have up graded my memory but
> > it is still running slow

> If you started with a clean disk drive or did a clean install of vista
> it may be that your motherboard's drivers are not right... you will need
> to find out what make it is and go to their website to find new drivers
> etc. For example the ships on the board may need a driver program for
> the disk drive interface. It will probably work but may be slow. This
> applies to a number of things. If you have the original disks from when
> the machine was bought it will help locate these things, if not you can
> try running belarc advisor http://www.belarc.com/ if you have no way of
> knowing what's in the box, it may help.
>
> If you can give a few more details as Mr Jones suggests it may be easier
> to help you.

Charlie Tame

dcmsrdld wrote:
> I have a ? not entirely related to this but maybe you can steer me to the
> right area.
>
> I'm having a major issue with a clean install of Vista Home Premium.
>
> Install's fine. Runs fine for awhile, then the machine locks up frequently.
>
> Seems like the more days I run the program on the hard drive the more
> frequent and faster the lock-ups.
>
> I have 1 gig of ddr memmory.
> new video card with 256mg ram.
> intel pentium 4 2 gig processor.
>
> Advisor said everything was fine, but did says the onboard MIDI was
> incompatabile from Nvidia, and they found no drivers available.
>
> I had a clean formated hard drive when I started.
>
> Any suggestion or new areas to read on?
>
> Thanks for any replies of help or suggestions,
> Doug
>
> "Charlie Tame" wrote:
>
>> lesley wrote:
>>> Hi I have just installed Vista and my PC is so slow it wont play games that
>>> were installed before the Vista experience - I have up graded my memory but
>>> it is still running slow

>> If you started with a clean disk drive or did a clean install of vista
>> it may be that your motherboard's drivers are not right... you will need
>> to find out what make it is and go to their website to find new drivers
>> etc. For example the ships on the board may need a driver program for
>> the disk drive interface. It will probably work but may be slow. This
>> applies to a number of things. If you have the original disks from when
>> the machine was bought it will help locate these things, if not you can
>> try running belarc advisor http://www.belarc.com/ if you have no way of
>> knowing what's in the box, it may help.
>>
>> If you can give a few more details as Mr Jones suggests it may be easier
>> to help you.

It's all too easy to blame drivers for Vista problems but in this case
you may have to do some digging. Belarc Advisor www.belarc.com is good
and SIW from www.gtopala.com is also very good. The latter may cause
Vista to complain about an unsigned driver buy you should still be able
to use it. These will help identify your components if it's not a
"Branded" machine like Compaq or Dell. If it is then of course their
website may have some data.

If you can disable any device that drivers aren't appropriate for that
may help.

If you did not yet visit NVidia then see what they say in their FAQ and
forums, and while there check for video driver updates if it's an NVidia
card.

Your problem could be memory, or CPU heat, or some other heat related
issue if it gets worse as time goes on, although from what you say it
sounds like it's okay just after a clean install and generally heat
would remain the same. This makes me wonder if it's something you are
installing that's creating the problem. You might mention any software
you use that didn't come with Vista.
neillm2001@comcast.net

Re: Slow running PC since I installed Vista
When I first installed Vista 32 bit on my 64 bit CPU powered system
I also noticed very sluggish performance. At the time I couldn't
install the 64 bit version and was forced to return to XP Pro. XP
Pro was noticably faster than Vista and there was a knowledge base
available to debug the problems. Looking at some of the vista sites
I am seeing problems and no real answers. Many of the answers are
requests for further testing.

The rule, that has been repeated for each version of Windows
released, stating that we should wait for SP1 before buying a new
version is still true. The "features" and "checks" that MS has
installed in Vista make this version extremely difficult for all but
the developers to fathom. The only reason I can see for
Corporations to keep putting up with this junk is that those in
charge don't know what is going on and those that should help them,
can't because then they either would have to say that they made a
mistake or they would be going against some high manager that would
block their findings anyway. MS profits increase while quality
decreases. They have been doing this for a long time and have been
very successful.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 5