Full PC restore not working

starstuff

Full PC restore not working
To test this vista 'feature' I did a full PC backup from vista (sata drive)
to an IDE drive. Ok, the full pc backup finished and I can see the backup in
the IDE drive.

Now I erased (the only way to really test this feature) the drive where my
vista partition was and tried to do a complete pc restore. I boot the DVD and
from the 'system recovery options' I selected 'windows complete pc restore'
this is where the fun part begins.

A window 'restore your entire computer from a backup' opens and I can see
the restore volume in one of the entry fields. One odd thing is that the
restore will be done from drive C to drive C. I have no way to change this so
I press next. 'Windows is ready to restore...' I press finish. A window opens
and I check the box informing me that the restore will format the drive and
WHAM!

'The windows complete PC restore operation failed There are too few disks on
this computer or one or more of the disks is too small. Add or change disks
so they match the disks in the backup and try the restore again. Error
0x80042401' I'm glad I'm doing this as a test.

Neither disk is too small or to large they are the same disks used in
the original backup.

I did a google search and this came up:
http://professionalinsight.net/VistaBackup.aspx

I followed the instructions in the above link and failed.

Any ideas? If you are thinking of restoring from the IDE drive to another
IDE drive forget it. My computer has only one IDE port and I need the DVD to
boot the vista installation/recovery DVD (perhaps MS didn't think about this
possibility?)

So my question is simple. Should I mark the 'Complete PC backup/restore' as
something not functional in Vista or there is hope to restore the volume in
my backup IDE drive?

Thank you
AJR

Re: Full PC restore not working
Just speculation here - but regarding "...Now I erased (the only way to
really test this feature) the drive where my vista partition was ..." - what
exactly does "erase' indicate - file deletions, format, reformat ?

If the Vista drive was originally "C" and, for discussion, backup drive was
"D" - getting "rid" of the Vista drive may have redesignated "D" as "C" as
indicated by "...One odd thing is that the restore will be done from drive C
to drive C...." which of course it cannot do.

"starstuff" <starstuff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To test this vista 'feature' I did a full PC backup from vista (sata
> drive)
> to an IDE drive. Ok, the full pc backup finished and I can see the backup
> in
> the IDE drive.
>
> Now I erased (the only way to really test this feature) the drive where my
> vista partition was and tried to do a complete pc restore. I boot the DVD
> and
> from the 'system recovery options' I selected 'windows complete pc
> restore'
> this is where the fun part begins.
>
> A window 'restore your entire computer from a backup' opens and I can see
> the restore volume in one of the entry fields. One odd thing is that the
> restore will be done from drive C to drive C. I have no way to change this
> so
> I press next. 'Windows is ready to restore...' I press finish. A window
> opens
> and I check the box informing me that the restore will format the drive
> and
> WHAM!
>
> 'The windows complete PC restore operation failed There are too few disks
> on
> this computer or one or more of the disks is too small. Add or change
> disks
> so they match the disks in the backup and try the restore again. Error
> 0x80042401' I'm glad I'm doing this as a test.
>
> Neither disk is too small or to large they are the same disks used
> in
> the original backup.
>
> I did a google search and this came up:
> http://professionalinsight.net/VistaBackup.aspx
>
> I followed the instructions in the above link and failed.
>
> Any ideas? If you are thinking of restoring from the IDE drive to another
> IDE drive forget it. My computer has only one IDE port and I need the DVD
> boot the vista installation/recovery DVD (perhaps MS didn't think about
> this
> possibility?)
>
> So my question is simple. Should I mark the 'Complete PC backup/restore'
> as
> something not functional in Vista or there is hope to restore the volume
> in
> my backup IDE drive?
>
> Thank you

starstuff

Re: Full PC restore not working
Forgive me for not being more especific.

By erase I mean wiping out all partitions. It is like going out to best buy
and buy a new HDD because your old one was destroyed by a lightining strike.
This is the whole concept of a full PC restore right? To recover from a
catastrophic event.

In regards to your second paragraph.
1. I thought about this too so using 'diskpart' I repartitioned and formated
the SATA drive (working drive) to the original configuration. ie. create
partition and format fs=ntfs label='help' quick.
2. I executed a 'list disk' to see my newly formated drive.
3. 'select disk x' and 'list volume' in my working disk.
4. I can see the volume for both the backup drive and working drives (IDE
and SATA)
5. The backup drive has letter 'C' assigned to it and working drive have
letter 'D'

Maybe it will work if I switch drive letters, I thought? So I temporarirly
assigned letter 'J' (an unused letter) to my backup drive by issuing 'select
volume x' and 'assign letter=J' now I can change my working drive letter to
'C' right? So I do a 'select volume x' and 'assign letter=C' It worked!

Now, I have my backup drive as D and my working drive as C, my ORIGINAL
configuration just before the lighting strike that fried my dead co-worker's
mission critical computer.

Ok I say, lets do a full PC restore and let's continue spying on Americans.
I go trough all the full pc restore process. I can see in one of the restore
windows restoring from drive 'D' to drive 'C'... good news! Proceed to start
the restore process and WHAM! again. Same error as before.

Seems that MS needs more H1-B visa applicants after all. This full PC backup
'feature' is not operational. I just want to find one single combination of
drives that actually work with this feature.

We bought vista ultimate for these 'added' features and this one and many
others are not working.

"AJR" wrote:

> Just speculation here - but regarding "...Now I erased (the only way to
> really test this feature) the drive where my vista partition was ..." - what
> exactly does "erase' indicate - file deletions, format, reformat ?
>
> If the Vista drive was originally "C" and, for discussion, backup drive was
> "D" - getting "rid" of the Vista drive may have redesignated "D" as "C" as
> indicated by "...One odd thing is that the restore will be done from drive C
> to drive C...." which of course it cannot do.
>

> "starstuff" <starstuff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > To test this vista 'feature' I did a full PC backup from vista (sata
> > drive)
> > to an IDE drive. Ok, the full pc backup finished and I can see the backup
> > in
> > the IDE drive.
> >
> > Now I erased (the only way to really test this feature) the drive where my
> > vista partition was and tried to do a complete pc restore. I boot the DVD
> > and
> > from the 'system recovery options' I selected 'windows complete pc
> > restore'
> > this is where the fun part begins.
> >
> > A window 'restore your entire computer from a backup' opens and I can see
> > the restore volume in one of the entry fields. One odd thing is that the
> > restore will be done from drive C to drive C. I have no way to change this
> > so
> > I press next. 'Windows is ready to restore...' I press finish. A window
> > opens
> > and I check the box informing me that the restore will format the drive
> > and
> > WHAM!
> >
> > 'The windows complete PC restore operation failed There are too few disks
> > on
> > this computer or one or more of the disks is too small. Add or change
> > disks
> > so they match the disks in the backup and try the restore again. Error
> > 0x80042401' I'm glad I'm doing this as a test.
> >
> > Neither disk is too small or to large they are the same disks used
> > in
> > the original backup.
> >
> > I did a google search and this came up:
> > http://professionalinsight.net/VistaBackup.aspx
> >
> > I followed the instructions in the above link and failed.
> >
> > Any ideas? If you are thinking of restoring from the IDE drive to another
> > IDE drive forget it. My computer has only one IDE port and I need the DVD
> > boot the vista installation/recovery DVD (perhaps MS didn't think about
> > this
> > possibility?)
> >
> > So my question is simple. Should I mark the 'Complete PC backup/restore'
> > as
> > something not functional in Vista or there is hope to restore the volume
> > in
> > my backup IDE drive?
> >
> > Thank you

retired fire

RE: Full PC restore not working
I believe what you are experirncing is a VISTA BUG. Mixing SATA and IDE
drives seems to be the problem....

Microsoft is aware of this, but is not responding to the customers on this
issue....

Try replacing the IDE drive with SATA drive, thus having 2 sata drives.

(for more info, search on SATA PATA in WINDOWS VIATA DISCUSSION GROUPS,
where this issue is more detailed..)

Good luck.....

"starstuff" wrote:

> To test this vista 'feature' I did a full PC backup from vista (sata drive)
> to an IDE drive. Ok, the full pc backup finished and I can see the backup in
> the IDE drive.
>
> Now I erased (the only way to really test this feature) the drive where my
> vista partition was and tried to do a complete pc restore. I boot the DVD and
> from the 'system recovery options' I selected 'windows complete pc restore'
> this is where the fun part begins.
>
> A window 'restore your entire computer from a backup' opens and I can see
> the restore volume in one of the entry fields. One odd thing is that the
> restore will be done from drive C to drive C. I have no way to change this so
> I press next. 'Windows is ready to restore...' I press finish. A window opens
> and I check the box informing me that the restore will format the drive and
> WHAM!
>
> 'The windows complete PC restore operation failed There are too few disks on
> this computer or one or more of the disks is too small. Add or change disks
> so they match the disks in the backup and try the restore again. Error
> 0x80042401' I'm glad I'm doing this as a test.
>
> Neither disk is too small or to large they are the same disks used in
> the original backup.
>
> I did a google search and this came up:
> http://professionalinsight.net/VistaBackup.aspx
>
> I followed the instructions in the above link and failed.
>
> Any ideas? If you are thinking of restoring from the IDE drive to another
> IDE drive forget it. My computer has only one IDE port and I need the DVD to
> boot the vista installation/recovery DVD (perhaps MS didn't think about this
> possibility?)
>
> So my question is simple. Should I mark the 'Complete PC backup/restore' as
> something not functional in Vista or there is hope to restore the volume in
> my backup IDE drive?
>
> Thank you

starstuff

RE: Full PC restore not working
A vista bug? no kidding!

I was thinking along the same lines a you but I didn't want to spend the
extra money on another SATA drive. Anyway I gathered some courage and a
credit card and purchased a new sata drive from compusa.

I booted XP and copied the IDE backup directory into my new sata drive.
Reboot and proceed to restore. Now it is working. I hope MS fix this bug soon.

Thanks for your help

"retired fire" wrote:

> I believe what you are experirncing is a VISTA BUG. Mixing SATA and IDE
> drives seems to be the problem....
>
> Microsoft is aware of this, but is not responding to the customers on this
> issue....
>
> Try replacing the IDE drive with SATA drive, thus having 2 sata drives.
>
> (for more info, search on SATA PATA in WINDOWS VIATA DISCUSSION GROUPS,
> where this issue is more detailed..)
>
> Good luck.....
>
> "starstuff" wrote:
>
> > To test this vista 'feature' I did a full PC backup from vista (sata drive)
> > to an IDE drive. Ok, the full pc backup finished and I can see the backup in
> > the IDE drive.
> >
> > Now I erased (the only way to really test this feature) the drive where my
> > vista partition was and tried to do a complete pc restore. I boot the DVD and
> > from the 'system recovery options' I selected 'windows complete pc restore'
> > this is where the fun part begins.
> >
> > A window 'restore your entire computer from a backup' opens and I can see
> > the restore volume in one of the entry fields. One odd thing is that the
> > restore will be done from drive C to drive C. I have no way to change this so
> > I press next. 'Windows is ready to restore...' I press finish. A window opens
> > and I check the box informing me that the restore will format the drive and
> > WHAM!
> >
> > 'The windows complete PC restore operation failed There are too few disks on
> > this computer or one or more of the disks is too small. Add or change disks
> > so they match the disks in the backup and try the restore again. Error
> > 0x80042401' I'm glad I'm doing this as a test.
> >
> > Neither disk is too small or to large they are the same disks used in
> > the original backup.
> >
> > I did a google search and this came up:
> > http://professionalinsight.net/VistaBackup.aspx
> >
> > I followed the instructions in the above link and failed.
> >
> > Any ideas? If you are thinking of restoring from the IDE drive to another
> > IDE drive forget it. My computer has only one IDE port and I need the DVD to
> > boot the vista installation/recovery DVD (perhaps MS didn't think about this
> > possibility?)
> >
> > So my question is simple. Should I mark the 'Complete PC backup/restore' as
> > something not functional in Vista or there is hope to restore the volume in
> > my backup IDE drive?
> >
> > Thank you

Eugene Pinero

Re: Full PC restore not working
Hi all!

Does that mean that I cannot restore from a USB drive to a SCSI drive?

Cheers,

Gene

--
Gene
Email: eugene.pinero@gmail.com
> [...]
>> > 0x80042401' I'm glad I'm doing this as a test.
>> >
>> > Neither disk is too small or to large they are the same disks
>> > used in
>> > the original backup.
>> >
>> > I did a google search and this came up:
>> > http://professionalinsight.net/VistaBackup.aspx
>> >
>> > I followed the instructions in the above link and failed.
>> >
>> > Any ideas? If you are thinking of restoring from the IDE drive to
>> > another
>> > IDE drive forget it. My computer has only one IDE port and I need the
>> > DVD to
>> > boot the vista installation/recovery DVD (perhaps MS didn't think about
>> > this
>> > possibility?)
>> >
>> > So my question is simple. Should I mark the 'Complete PC
>> > backup/restore' as
>> > something not functional in Vista or there is hope to restore the

abramcookson

Re: Full PC restore not working

Finally,

After an entire weekend and the replacement of several reboot buttons I
figured out how to restore a C: back up on my IDE drive (the drive with
the back up) to my Sata Drive (the drive I want the back up to restore
to).

I was getting all of the same errors mentioned before.

So I followed all of the instructions located on the last post (via the
link).

Except!!!

after you create a partition on your SATA drive, do not format it!
Leave it as RAW.

select the back-up volume

Then assign the back-up volume to another letter besides C: (and not
another one that is in use).

select the SATA RAW volume. assign letter C

exit, exit......

Then go ahead and restore. I was anticipating the error, waiting
waiting...holy cow it worked.

I hope this works for you let me know!

--
abramcookson