Duplicate folders and No Backup

Merle

Duplicate folders and No Backup
I have Vista Premium Installed on Drive C. It lists folders under
user/username/ such as desktop, documents, favorites etc. but no duplicate
folders there. I also have a second drive, New Volume (L) that I use
for backups and some program installations. It also lists the same folders
under user/username/ but there are two folders for each i.e. 2 desktop, 2
documents, 2 downloads, 2 favorites, 2 links, etc. So I have a total of
three like folders on my PC It also has six folders with no names and seem
to be empty but when I delete one or all, my icons disappear from the
desktop. I restored them and now I am afraid to delete any of the
duplicates fearing I might crash my computer. I don't know how this
happened or what I did wrong. I am 71 years old and not very technically
inclined. I would appreciate any help.
I have a snap shot of my desktop if anyone would like to see it. I can
email it to you. Thanks (planogram@comcast.net) Problem #2 I cannot make
a backup. I get the error " A shadow copy could not be created for the
following reason" Access Denied 0x80070005. I Tried to Restore to a
time when backup worked but no restore point. I tried to get into the group
policy to make a restore point but it is not available in premium. ???
don't know why. Checked google but error 0x80070005 seems to cover just
about every problem there is. So Now what? I'm to old to punt.

JoRene

Re: Duplicate folders and No Backup
There could be several things going on. If this is a new computer
(especially from Dell), it could have been set up with an automatic backup
disk, something I think called a raid configuration. Then you could be
backing up again to the same disk, leaving you with two copies of
everything. If you have a Dell, I would call their tech support to find out
if that is how your computer was set up.

I also have problems with restore points disappearing or not being created
when they should. I'm not sure what you can do about that. But you should be
able to go into system restore. Just type System Restore at the Vista start
button and it should open. What kind of a backup are you trying to do when
you get that error? If you have Home Premium, this version has no shadow
copy backup available. Only Ultimate (and maybe Business) come with the
shadow copy enabled, though I've read the copies are made, but aren't
accessible. I would think a regular backup shouldn't depend on shadow
copies. If the Vista backup won't work, try one from a different vendor.
At the least, you should be able to copy your data files to a DVD or CD to
back them up.

Good luck.

"Merle" <planogram@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have Vista Premium Installed on Drive C. It lists folders under
>user/username/ such as desktop, documents, favorites etc. but no duplicate
>folders there. I also have a second drive, New Volume (L) that I use
>for backups and some program installations. It also lists the same folders
>under user/username/ but there are two folders for each i.e. 2 desktop, 2
>documents, 2 downloads, 2 favorites, 2 links, etc. So I have a total of
>three like folders on my PC It also has six folders with no names and seem
>to be empty but when I delete one or all, my icons disappear from the
>desktop. I restored them and now I am afraid to delete any of the
>duplicates fearing I might crash my computer. I don't know how this
>happened or what I did wrong. I am 71 years old and not very technically
>inclined. I would appreciate any help.
> I have a snap shot of my desktop if anyone would like to see it. I can
> email it to you. Thanks (planogram@comcast.net) Problem #2 I cannot
> make a backup. I get the error " A shadow copy could not be created for
> the following reason" Access Denied 0x80070005. I Tried to Restore to
> a time when backup worked but no restore point. I tried to get into the
> group policy to make a restore point but it is not available in premium.
> ??? don't know why. Checked google but error 0x80070005 seems to cover
> just about every problem there is. So Now what? I'm to old to punt.

Lester Stiefel

Merle wrote:
> I have Vista Premium Installed on Drive C. It lists folders under
> user/username/ such as desktop, documents, favorites etc. but no
> duplicate folders there. I also have a second drive, New Volume (L)
> that I use for backups and some program installations. It also lists
> the same folders under user/username/ but there are two folders for each
> i.e. 2 desktop, 2 documents, 2 downloads, 2 favorites, 2 links, etc.
> So I have a total of three like folders on my PC It also has six folders
> with no names and seem to be empty but when I delete one or all, my
> icons disappear from the desktop. I restored them and now I am afraid
> to delete any of the duplicates fearing I might crash my computer. I
> don't know how this happened or what I did wrong. I am 71 years old
> and not very technically inclined. I would appreciate any help.
> I have a snap shot of my desktop if anyone would like to see it. I can
> email it to you. Thanks (planogram@comcast.net) Problem #2 I cannot
> make a backup. I get the error " A shadow copy could not be created
> for the following reason" Access Denied 0x80070005. I Tried to
> Restore to a time when backup worked but no restore point. I tried to
> get into the group policy to make a restore point but it is not
> available in premium. ??? don't know why. Checked google but error
> 0x80070005 seems to cover just about every problem there is. So Now
> what? I'm to old to punt.

80070005 is the "Access denied" error "your permissions for
the item need to be changed to full or admin. Also run the
backup or copy program as administrator.

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
Merle

Re: Duplicate folders and No Backup
Hi JoRene: I have a home built PC. Built it a few years ago. I don't have
a restore disk. I don't have a raid configuration. I am going to try Nero
Backup and see if that works. Thanks anyway.

"Merle" <planogram@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have Vista Premium Installed on Drive C. It lists folders under
>user/username/ such as desktop, documents, favorites etc. but no duplicate
>folders there. I also have a second drive, New Volume (L) that I use
>for backups and some program installations. It also lists the same folders
>under user/username/ but there are two folders for each i.e. 2 desktop, 2
>documents, 2 downloads, 2 favorites, 2 links, etc. So I have a total of
>three like folders on my PC It also has six folders with no names and seem
>to be empty but when I delete one or all, my icons disappear from the
>desktop. I restored them and now I am afraid to delete any of the
>duplicates fearing I might crash my computer. I don't know how this
>happened or what I did wrong. I am 71 years old and not very technically
>inclined. I would appreciate any help.
> I have a snap shot of my desktop if anyone would like to see it. I can
> email it to you. Thanks (planogram@comcast.net) Problem #2 I cannot
> make a backup. I get the error " A shadow copy could not be created for
> the following reason" Access Denied 0x80070005. I Tried to Restore to
> a time when backup worked but no restore point. I tried to get into the
> group policy to make a restore point but it is not available in premium.
> ??? don't know why. Checked google but error 0x80070005 seems to cover
> just about every problem there is. So Now what? I'm to old to punt.

Merle

Re: Duplicate folders and No Backup
I am running backup as administrator and still it wants to create a shadow
copy then I get the error (A shadow copy could not be created
for the following reason" Access Denied 0x80070005.) I looked in
services and backup is set to automatic. I tried to backup to DVD but it
just ran in circles for an hour so I cancelled it. Thanks Lester