Image backup

Creb

Image backup
Hi All.

I hate it when I am stupid.... but I have this problem:

I am trying to do a complete PC backup (image backup) with Vista. I have 3
drives C, D, E (dvd) and F. I have done all my backups to drive F before, but
now Vista wants to include drive F in the backup set, so I have to pick D as
the destination.

Thing is, I want to store the backup on F and somehow Vista thinks that
there are system files on F that it needs to include in the backup. Is there
any way I can find out which system files there could be on F? Just looking
at the files on the drive and none of them looks like a system file and like
I said, I have done backups to it just 2 months ago.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Creb

Lester Stiefel

Re: Image backup
Creb wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I hate it when I am stupid.... but I have this problem:
>
> I am trying to do a complete PC backup (image backup) with Vista. I have 3
> drives C, D, E (dvd) and F. I have done all my backups to drive F before, but
> now Vista wants to include drive F in the backup set, so I have to pick D as
> the destination.
>
> Thing is, I want to store the backup on F and somehow Vista thinks that
> there are system files on F that it needs to include in the backup. Is there
> any way I can find out which system files there could be on F? Just looking
> at the files on the drive and none of them looks like a system file and like
> I said, I have done backups to it just 2 months ago.
>

> Any help will be appreciated, thanks!
>

> Creb

When I had Vista installed, I had to do a "reveal system
files" in explorer to find out which files it is trying to
copy. It appears that each logical drive has a startup file
on it (either bin or ini, doesn't matter).

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
JoRene

Re: Image backup
I didn't think Vista allowed backups to internal hard drives. The problem
you're having might be the reason why. Could you backup to an external hard
drive...or DVD drive? If you have a drive failure, it wouln't help to have
your backup on the drive.

"Creb" <Creb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All.
>
> I hate it when I am stupid.... but I have this problem:
>
> I am trying to do a complete PC backup (image backup) with Vista. I have 3
> drives C, D, E (dvd) and F. I have done all my backups to drive F before,
> but
> now Vista wants to include drive F in the backup set, so I have to pick D
> as
> the destination.
>
> Thing is, I want to store the backup on F and somehow Vista thinks that
> there are system files on F that it needs to include in the backup. Is
> there
> any way I can find out which system files there could be on F? Just
> looking
> at the files on the drive and none of them looks like a system file and
> like
> I said, I have done backups to it just 2 months ago.
>

> Any help will be appreciated, thanks!
>

> Creb

AJR

Re: Image backup
Complete PC Backup must be copied to either an external, removeable or
separate internal drive. Regarding "...I have done all my backups to drive
F before, ..." - evidently your procedure has changed - Complete PC Backup
does not backup the drive to which it is being copied.

Also Complete PC Backup backs up system files, however the file backup
utility does not and backups can be copied to internal drives. Are you
inadvertantly using file backup instead of Complete PC Backup?

Complete PC Backup only maintains one "copy" and it does not provide for
automatic backups - must be done manually (You can schedule reminders) -
recommended procedure is to to do a Complete PC Backup and then schedule
automatic file backups - not neccessary to do Complete PC Backups routinely
unless there are hardware/application changes.