Windows (Vista) Start Up Error Messge

Stephen

Windows (Vista) Start Up Error Messge
Upon starting up my computer, I sometimes (not always) get a message stating
a failure for Windows start up normally. Two options are given: 1) to let
Windows try to find and fix the problem (recommended) or 2) let Windows go
ahead and start up. Option 1 takes a long time and has not permanently fixed
the problem; I go with number 2 which does promply open Windows and there are
no further problems.

Does is the cause of this and does it need to be addressed?

--
Stephen
Charlie Tame

Re: Windows (Vista) Start Up Error Messge
Stephen wrote:
> Upon starting up my computer, I sometimes (not always) get a message stating
> a failure for Windows start up normally. Two options are given: 1) to let
> Windows try to find and fix the problem (recommended) or 2) let Windows go
> ahead and start up. Option 1 takes a long time and has not permanently fixed
> the problem; I go with number 2 which does promply open Windows and there are
> no further problems.
>
> Does is the cause of this and does it need to be addressed?

This can mean a serious hardware problem like a failing hard drive,
although it doesn't have to be that.

How old is the machine / drives and is this something that happens
after the machine has been physically turned off for a while? I never
turn any of mine off because sometimes older drives will exhibit errors
when "Cold" but run fine for years when kept active.

This could also mean a memory fault, also sometimes related to
temperature when starting from cold. May be loose in it's socket or may
be just going faulty. Did all the memory come together or has some been
added?

Heat / cool cycling can cause a number of plug in boards to "Creep" out
of or partly out of their sockets.

Charlie
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows (Vista) Start Up Error Messge
Hi,

You can check both the Event Viewer for clues in the system logs, and the
Problem Reports and Solutions in the Control Panel for any error listings.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Stephen" <drco@otr.com> wrote in message
> Upon starting up my computer, I sometimes (not always) get a message
> stating
> a failure for Windows start up normally. Two options are given: 1) to let
> Windows try to find and fix the problem (recommended) or 2) let Windows go
> ahead and start up. Option 1 takes a long time and has not permanently
> fixed
> the problem; I go with number 2 which does promply open Windows and there
> are
> no further problems.
>
> Does is the cause of this and does it need to be addressed?
>
> --
> Stephen

Stephen

Re: Windows (Vista) Start Up Error Messge
Thanks for the response. It does seem to happen more when machine has been
off for a while such as overnight and as mentioned, doesn't do it all the
time.

Computer is four weeks old, essentialy brand new
--
Stephen

"Charlie Tame" wrote:

> Stephen wrote:
> > Upon starting up my computer, I sometimes (not always) get a message stating
> > a failure for Windows start up normally. Two options are given: 1) to let
> > Windows try to find and fix the problem (recommended) or 2) let Windows go
> > ahead and start up. Option 1 takes a long time and has not permanently fixed
> > the problem; I go with number 2 which does promply open Windows and there are
> > no further problems.
> >
> > Does is the cause of this and does it need to be addressed?
> >

> This can mean a serious hardware problem like a failing hard drive,
> although it doesn't have to be that.
>
> How old is the machine / drives and is this something that happens
> after the machine has been physically turned off for a while? I never
> turn any of mine off because sometimes older drives will exhibit errors
> when "Cold" but run fine for years when kept active.
>
> This could also mean a memory fault, also sometimes related to
> temperature when starting from cold. May be loose in it's socket or may
> be just going faulty. Did all the memory come together or has some been
> added?
>
> Heat / cool cycling can cause a number of plug in boards to "Creep" out
> of or partly out of their sockets.
>
> Charlie

Stephen

Re: Windows (Vista) Start Up Error Messge
Problem Reports and Solutions has only one entry and that is to download a
driver for my scanner which has already been done and the scanner works fine.
No sure why the message persists.

Found the Event Viewer and see there is quite a lot of information in there,
however, not sure what clues to look for. What should I be looking for?

Regards,
--
Stephen

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can check both the Event Viewer for clues in the system logs, and the
> Problem Reports and Solutions in the Control Panel for any error listings.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Stephen" <drco@otr.com> wrote in message
> > Upon starting up my computer, I sometimes (not always) get a message
> > stating
> > a failure for Windows start up normally. Two options are given: 1) to let
> > Windows try to find and fix the problem (recommended) or 2) let Windows go
> > ahead and start up. Option 1 takes a long time and has not permanently
> > fixed
> > the problem; I go with number 2 which does promply open Windows and there
> > are
> > no further problems.
> >
> > Does is the cause of this and does it need to be addressed?
> >
> > --
> > Stephen

Spirit

Re: Windows (Vista) Start Up Error Messge
If you are comfortable inside your machine I would make sure all cards,
memory sticks, cables and the
like are all seated properly. It is usually best to actually remove or
disconnect them and then reseat or
reconnect. Just feeling on them or pushing on connections is not enough.

> Problem Reports and Solutions has only one entry and that is to download a
> driver for my scanner which has already been done and the scanner works
> fine.
> No sure why the message persists.
>
> Found the Event Viewer and see there is quite a lot of information in
> there,
> however, not sure what clues to look for. What should I be looking for?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Stephen
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can check both the Event Viewer for clues in the system logs, and the
>> Problem Reports and Solutions in the Control Panel for any error
>> listings.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Stephen" <drco@otr.com> wrote in message
>> > Upon starting up my computer, I sometimes (not always) get a message
>> > stating
>> > a failure for Windows start up normally. Two options are given: 1) to
>> > let
>> > Windows try to find and fix the problem (recommended) or 2) let Windows
>> > go
>> > ahead and start up. Option 1 takes a long time and has not permanently
>> > fixed
>> > the problem; I go with number 2 which does promply open Windows and
>> > there
>> > are
>> > no further problems.
>> >
>> > Does is the cause of this and does it need to be addressed?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Stephen

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows (Vista) Start Up Error Messge
Hi Stephen,

Start by looking at the system logs from the most recent bootup that had the
error. Look for actual errors, not just warnings.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Stephen" <drco@otr.com> wrote in message
> Problem Reports and Solutions has only one entry and that is to download a
> driver for my scanner which has already been done and the scanner works
> fine.
> No sure why the message persists.
>
> Found the Event Viewer and see there is quite a lot of information in
> there,
> however, not sure what clues to look for. What should I be looking for?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Stephen
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can check both the Event Viewer for clues in the system logs, and the
>> Problem Reports and Solutions in the Control Panel for any error
>> listings.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Stephen" <drco@otr.com> wrote in message
>> > Upon starting up my computer, I sometimes (not always) get a message
>> > stating
>> > a failure for Windows start up normally. Two options are given: 1) to
>> > let
>> > Windows try to find and fix the problem (recommended) or 2) let Windows
>> > go
>> > ahead and start up. Option 1 takes a long time and has not permanently
>> > fixed
>> > the problem; I go with number 2 which does promply open Windows and
>> > there
>> > are
>> > no further problems.
>> >
>> > Does is the cause of this and does it need to be addressed?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Stephen

Stephen

Re: Windows (Vista) Start Up Error Messge
Thanks, though I am not sure if I want to go into the computer though I need
install the memory sticks (with online assistance). The computer is only a
few weeks old besides. Afraid I will make things worse.
--
Stephen