Right click on folders and files is too slow

loopback0

Right click on folders and files is too slow
Rt click on Vista Ultimate 64 is so slow it is now almost unusable. I am
considering a whole reinstall because of it. This affects rt click on files
and folders mainly and is often followed by Explorer needing to restart.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance
loopback0

RE: Right click on folders and files is too slow
Was only able to solve this by a complete re install. After two days of
exploring the registry etc to no result.

"loopback0" wrote:

> Rt click on Vista Ultimate 64 is so slow it is now almost unusable. I am
> considering a whole reinstall because of it. This affects rt click on files
> and folders mainly and is often followed by Explorer needing to restart.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

Verde72

RE: Right click on folders and files is too slow
I have had the same problem running Vista 64 Ultimate, already had rebuild
my system and do not want to do it again since had to call their overseas
center to do it.

Right click on a desktop icon or right clicking in Windows Explorer take for
ever, after a while explorer says it quit responding. If you click on
something else the screen is covered in a white veil. Click again and your
get a option to close program or restart program. Problem Reports and
Solutions has recorded this problem quite a few times since this started.

Have looked all over the net to find solutions but most that worked refer
back to XP using a third party program (shexview.exe) from Nirsoft for fixing
the problem, nothing for Vista users. I did try the solution but had no
luck. There a lot of users looking for solutions, including another thread
here.

Maybe enough reports will go to MS, the real solution shouldn't be to reload
software, which I tried to do with a backup using F8 but for some reason it
didn't see my backup so it didn't give a choice. I have no desire to go back
to XP 64 which had its problems too.

"loopback0" wrote:

> Was only able to solve this by a complete re install. After two days of
> exploring the registry etc to no result.
>

> "loopback0" wrote:
>
> > Rt click on Vista Ultimate 64 is so slow it is now almost unusable. I am
> > considering a whole reinstall because of it. This affects rt click on files
> > and folders mainly and is often followed by Explorer needing to restart.
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Right click on folders and files is too slow
FYI, ShellExView runs fine under Windows Vista as well. Make sure you run it as administrator.

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

Regards,

"loopback0" wrote:

> Was only able to solve this by a complete re install. After two days of
> exploring the registry etc to no result.
>

> "loopback0" wrote:
>
> > Rt click on Vista Ultimate 64 is so slow it is now almost unusable. I am
> > considering a whole reinstall because of it. This affects rt click on files
> > and folders mainly and is often followed by Explorer needing to restart.
> >
> > ----------------
> >
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

Verde72

Re: Right click on folders and files is too slow
I read the link and did what it adised to include the MS items too. Don't
know if it would worked because Vista 64 turned them all back on when I
rebooted. By the way I didn't have very many items that weren't MS.

Ran as an administrator & try from safeboot too, but if I have to right
click also and select run as an administrator I can not do since I can not
right click and get the menu. Anyting that uses Windows Explorer whne right
clicked will show a busy mouse circle, then explorer says system no responce
then after a while it starts working but no menu ever shows up.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> FYI, ShellExView runs fine under Windows Vista as well. Make sure you run it as administrator.
>
> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Verde72" <Verde72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CD0F96B-5D47-4624-B8F6-121039498712@microsoft.com...
> I have had the same problem running Vista 64 Ultimate, already had rebuild
> my system and do not want to do it again since had to call their overseas
> center to do it.
>
> Right click on a desktop icon or right clicking in Windows Explorer take for
> ever, after a while explorer says it quit responding. If you click on
> something else the screen is covered in a white veil. Click again and your
> get a option to close program or restart program. Problem Reports and
> Solutions has recorded this problem quite a few times since this started.
>
> Have looked all over the net to find solutions but most that worked refer
> back to XP using a third party program (shexview.exe) from Nirsoft for fixing
> the problem, nothing for Vista users. I did try the solution but had no
> luck. There a lot of users looking for solutions, including another thread
> here.
>
> Maybe enough reports will go to MS, the real solution shouldn't be to reload
> software, which I tried to do with a backup using F8 but for some reason it
> didn't see my backup so it didn't give a choice. I have no desire to go back
> to XP 64 which had its problems too.
>
> "loopback0" wrote:
>
> > Was only able to solve this by a complete re install. After two days of
> > exploring the registry etc to no result.
> >

> > "loopback0" wrote:
> >
> > > Rt click on Vista Ultimate 64 is so slow it is now almost unusable. I am
> > > considering a whole reinstall because of it. This affects rt click on files
> > > and folders mainly and is often followed by Explorer needing to restart.
> > >
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > >
> > > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Right click on folders and files is too slow
Here is another way to run ShellExView as administrator. Move the ShellExView executable (shexview.exe) to your user profile home folder. C:\Users\{Username}

Click Start, type "shexview" in the Search box. When ShellExView is listed, press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. The application will run as administrator.

--
Regards,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> FYI, ShellExView runs fine under Windows Vista as well. Make sure you run it as administrator.
>
> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Verde72" <Verde72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CD0F96B-5D47-4624-B8F6-121039498712@microsoft.com...
> I have had the same problem running Vista 64 Ultimate, already had rebuild
> my system and do not want to do it again since had to call their overseas
> center to do it.
>
> Right click on a desktop icon or right clicking in Windows Explorer take for
> ever, after a while explorer says it quit responding. If you click on
> something else the screen is covered in a white veil. Click again and your
> get a option to close program or restart program. Problem Reports and
> Solutions has recorded this problem quite a few times since this started.
>
> Have looked all over the net to find solutions but most that worked refer
> back to XP using a third party program (shexview.exe) from Nirsoft for fixing
> the problem, nothing for Vista users. I did try the solution but had no
> luck. There a lot of users looking for solutions, including another thread
> here.
>
> Maybe enough reports will go to MS, the real solution shouldn't be to reload
> software, which I tried to do with a backup using F8 but for some reason it
> didn't see my backup so it didn't give a choice. I have no desire to go back
> to XP 64 which had its problems too.
>
> "loopback0" wrote:
>
> > Was only able to solve this by a complete re install. After two days of
> > exploring the registry etc to no result.
> >

> > "loopback0" wrote:
> >
> > > Rt click on Vista Ultimate 64 is so slow it is now almost unusable. I am
> > > considering a whole reinstall because of it. This affects rt click on files
> > > and folders mainly and is often followed by Explorer needing to restart.
> > >
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > >
> > > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

Verde72

Re: Right click on folders and files is too slow
OK, turn off all non-Microsoft items (as admin) not just menu items but
anytning that wasn't MS, still did not change anything. Guess just have to
find ways to get arounf right-clicking anything dealing with windows explorer
and wait until Vista64 problems are worked out.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Have looked all over the net to find solutions but most that worked refer
> > back to XP using a third party program (shexview.exe) from Nirsoft for fixing
> > the problem, nothing for Vista users. I did try the solution but had no
> > luck. There a lot of users looking for solutions, including another thread
> > here.
> >
> > Maybe enough reports will go to MS, the real solution shouldn't be to reload
> > software, which I tried to do with a backup using F8 but for some reason it
> > didn't see my backup so it didn't give a choice. I have no desire to go back
> > to XP 64 which had its problems too.
> >
> > "loopback0" wrote:
> >
> > > Was only able to solve this by a complete re install. After two days of
> > > exploring the registry etc to no result.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Right click on folders and files is too slow
Another possibility that I can think of:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

--
Regards,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> > Solutions has recorded this problem quite a few times since this started.
> >
> > Have looked all over the net to find solutions but most that worked refer
> > back to XP using a third party program (shexview.exe) from Nirsoft for fixing
> > the problem, nothing for Vista users. I did try the solution but had no
> > luck. There a lot of users looking for solutions, including another thread
> > here.
> >
> > Maybe enough reports will go to MS, the real solution shouldn't be to reload
> > software, which I tried to do with a backup using F8 but for some reason it
> > didn't see my backup so it didn't give a choice. I have no desire to go back
> > to XP 64 which had its problems too.
> >
> > "loopback0" wrote:
> >
> > > Was only able to solve this by a complete re install. After two days of
> > > exploring the registry etc to no result.

pepiman

RE: Right click on folders and files is too slow
Hello
I have vista Basic,If you find things like windows and right mouse clicks,
and windows that are open taking a few seconds to minimize or resore,
or they seem to be stuck for a few seconds,
you should defrag often to stop this happening.You could also go to
classic view.I only have 512 mb ram,Vista runs quite fast after I defrag.

hope this helps

The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog