Defragmenting

buddy

Defragmenting
If we uninstall program(s) do the files get deleted off Windows when we
defragment?
Gerry

Re: Defragmenting
Buddy

The files are removed by uninstalling. Disk Defragmenter may relocate
files in the space previously occupied by the programme files but it
does
not remove any files.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"buddy" <buddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If we uninstall program(s) do the files get deleted off Windows when
> we
> defragment?

buddy

Re: Defragmenting
I have to disagree. I uninstall programs and I am still finding files with
the name of that software

"Gerry" wrote:

> Buddy
>
> The files are removed by uninstalling. Disk Defragmenter may relocate
> files in the space previously occupied by the programme files but it
> does
> not remove any files.
>

> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "buddy" <buddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If we uninstall program(s) do the files get deleted off Windows when
> > we
> > defragment?

Cal Bear '66

Re: Defragmenting
Many, too many, uninstallers fail to remove all folders, files and registry
entries, but defragmenting will not remove them. It might move them around on
the disk -- but it will not remove them.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

>I have to disagree. I uninstall programs and I am still finding files with
> the name of that software
>
> "Gerry" wrote:
>
>> Buddy
>>
>> The files are removed by uninstalling. Disk Defragmenter may relocate
>> files in the space previously occupied by the programme files but it
>> does
>> not remove any files.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> "buddy" <buddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If we uninstall program(s) do the files get deleted off Windows when
>> > we
>> > defragment?

Richard Urban

Re: Defragmenting
That problem you will have to take up with the software manufacturer. They
write both the installer and the uninstaller for their programs.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"buddy" <buddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have to disagree. I uninstall programs and I am still finding files with
> the name of that software
>
> "Gerry" wrote:
>
>> Buddy
>>
>> The files are removed by uninstalling. Disk Defragmenter may relocate
>> files in the space previously occupied by the programme files but it
>> does
>> not remove any files.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> "buddy" <buddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If we uninstall program(s) do the files get deleted off Windows when
>> > we
>> > defragment?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Defragmenting
Buddy

After uninstalling something, you may get the message that not all files
could be removed, and that some will require manual deletion.. a candidate
for this might be the programs uninstall utility and associated files..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Gerry

Re: Defragmenting
Buddy

Uninstalling removes files. It is true that many uninstallers fail to
remove all remnants but that is not by design. The intention is
to remove all!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"buddy" <buddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have to disagree. I uninstall programs and I am still finding files
>with
> the name of that software
>
> "Gerry" wrote:
>
>> Buddy
>>
>> The files are removed by uninstalling. Disk Defragmenter may relocate
>> files in the space previously occupied by the programme files but it
>> does
>> not remove any files.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> "buddy" <buddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If we uninstall program(s) do the files get deleted off Windows
>> > when
>> > we
>> > defragment?

Lester Stiefel

Re: Defragmenting
buddy wrote:
> I have to disagree. I uninstall programs and I am still finding files with
> the name of that software
>
> "Gerry" wrote:
>
>> Buddy
>>
>> The files are removed by uninstalling. Disk Defragmenter may relocate
>> files in the space previously occupied by the programme files but it
>> does
>> not remove any files.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> "buddy" <buddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> If we uninstall program(s) do the files get deleted off Windows when
>>> we
>>> defragment?

Second that. Some program are removed, but are backed up in
restore cabs, others are not. You are better to search and
remove all data folders/files related to the program
uninstalled. Also check the registry (requires
administrative access) for anything related to the program
file name removed. Make sure you have researched the how-tos
of registry modification.

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
uvbogden

Re: Defragmenting
I have had the same problem uninstalling some programs. To completely
uninstall McAfee Security Center, Norton SystemWorks, or MusicMatch Jukebox
you have to try using Vista to uninstall and then use an uninstall tool you
download from the software maker's website to completely uninstall. Even
then, sometimes you have to go through your files and registry and delete
references to parts of the uninstalled software that remain.