no desktop and taskbar at startup

stevesmith

no desktop and taskbar at startup
I tried to fix this problem and ran taskmanager after start up and typed in
explorer in new task it works, but temporarily. After reboot or restart I
have to type in explorer again and again. Only my documents comes up after
reboot or restart.
dean-dean

Re: no desktop and taskbar at startup
For starters, check this key in the Registry Editor:

In the right pane, make sure there is a REG_SZ Type with a value Name
"Shell" (no quotation marks) that has value Data "explorer.exe" (no
quotation marks).

"stevesmith" <stevesmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to fix this problem and ran taskmanager after start up and typed in
> explorer in new task it works, but temporarily. After reboot or restart I
> have to type in explorer again and again. Only my documents comes up after
> reboot or restart.

jeremysdad

dean-dean;365624 Wrote:
> For starters, check this key in the Registry Editor:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> In the right pane, make sure there is a REG_SZ Type with a value Name
> "Shell" (no quotation marks) that has value Data "explorer.exe" (no
> quotation marks).
>

> "stevesmith" <stevesmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried to fix this problem and ran taskmanager after start up and

> typed in
> > explorer in new task it works, but temporarily. After reboot or

> restart I
> > have to type in explorer again and again. Only my documents comes up

> after
> > reboot or restart.

Found this post via Google, as I was having the same issue. Somehow,
the registry entry in question had been changed, with a service added
after explorer. AV scan was clean, so does anyone know why it changed on
me?

--
jeremysdad

BurntSynapse is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no desktop and taskbar at startup
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdad View Post
dean-dean;365624 Wrote:
> For starters, check this key in the Registry Editor:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> In the right pane, make sure there is a REG_SZ Type with a value Name
> "Shell" (no quotation marks) that has value Data "explorer.exe" (no
> quotation marks).
>

> "stevesmith" <stevesmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried to fix this problem and ran taskmanager after start up and

> typed in
> > explorer in new task it works, but temporarily. After reboot or

> restart I
> > have to type in explorer again and again. Only my documents comes up

> after
> > reboot or restart.

Found this post via Google, as I was having the same issue. Somehow,
the registry entry in question had been changed, with a service added
after explorer. AV scan was clean, so does anyone know why it changed on
me?

--
jeremysdad
I just installed updates and the taskbar is not resizing. The registry location has 19 entries, and one of them is "Shell REG_SZ explorer.exe", but knowing this does not seem to be of any use.