Removing System Tray icons!

beto666

Removing System Tray icons!

Does anybody know where I should go/edit in order to remove undesirable
system tray icons (those beside the clock)? Probably some registry
entries or .ini files? How about Group Policies? Any tips? I wouldn't
like to install any tweak progs. Thanx everybody!

--
beto666
Bruce Chambers

Re: Removing System Tray icons!
beto666 wrote:
> Does anybody know where I should go/edit in order to remove undesirable
> system tray icons (those beside the clock)? Probably some registry
> entries or .ini files? How about Group Policies? Any tips? I wouldn't
> like to install any tweak progs. Thanx everybody!

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\Start Up, and in the system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

The following article refers to WinXP, but the same techniques apply to
Vista:

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Removing System Tray icons!
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 13:26:58 -0500, beto666
<beto666.2t0759@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> Does anybody know where I should go/edit in order to remove undesirable
> system tray icons (those beside the clock)?

First, note that you should be concerned with *all* programs that
start automatically, not just with those that go into the tray. Not
all autostarting programs manifest themselves by an icon in the tray.

On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show icon"
option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't
work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab,
uncheck the programs you don't want to start automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose of
running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many people tell
you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of these programs
you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt performance severely, but
others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should do
is determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and what
the cost in performance is of its running all the time. You can get
more information about these at
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it there,
try google searches and ask about specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent informed
decision about what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
beto666

Re: Removing System Tray icons!

Thank you guys. The thing is, I don't want to stop programs which start
with Vista, but only to stop their icons from being displayed in the Sys
Tray, that's all. It should clean things up a bit, and help with startup
performance. For example, I don't have any icons on my desktop being
displayed. Icons are loaded just like anything else. I want to trim
things a bit here and there to gain speed. Thanks for your time.
Checking the links and tips.

--
beto666
Richard Urban

Re: Removing System Tray icons!
The icon showing in the notification area is not what slows down your
computer. It is the running program that places the icon in the tray. Stop
the program from running at startup and the icon (which cause no system
delay) will be gone.

Removing the icon from the notification tray does nothing to speed up your
computer, if the program that places it there is still running. The icon is
"mostly" for convenience to you, the user.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"beto666" <beto666.2t0erw@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Thank you guys. The thing is, I don't want to stop programs which start
> with Vista, but only to stop their icons from being displayed in the Sys
> Tray, that's all. It should clean things up a bit, and help with startup
> performance. For example, I don't have any icons on my desktop being
> displayed. Icons are loaded just like anything else. I want to trim
> things a bit here and there to gain speed. Thanks for your time.
> Checking the links and tips.
>

> --
> beto666

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Removing System Tray icons!
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:02:03 -0500, beto666
<beto666.2t0erw@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> Thank you guys. The thing is, I don't want to stop programs which start
> with Vista, but only to stop their icons from being displayed in the Sys
> Tray, that's all.

You have no control over that. Whether they do or not depends on how
they are coded.

> It should clean things up a bit, and help with startup
> performance.

It will not help with any kind of performance.

> For example, I don't have any icons on my desktop being
> displayed.

If you like it that way, that's fine, but you are gaining *nothing* in
performance by doing it.

> Icons are loaded just like anything else. I want to trim
> things a bit here and there to gain speed.

Once again, there is *no* speed to be gained by doing things like
this.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Cal Bear '66

Re: Removing System Tray icons!
Won't give you any speed, but you can hide them. Right click Start Orb, select
Properties, Notification Area tab, Hide inactive icons check box and Customize
button, highlight the icon you are concerned with and select options from the
drop down list.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"beto666" <beto666.2t0erw@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Thank you guys. The thing is, I don't want to stop programs which start
> with Vista, but only to stop their icons from being displayed in the Sys
> Tray, that's all. It should clean things up a bit, and help with startup
> performance. For example, I don't have any icons on my desktop being
> displayed. Icons are loaded just like anything else. I want to trim
> things a bit here and there to gain speed. Thanks for your time.
> Checking the links and tips.
>

> --
> beto666

beto666

Re: Removing System Tray icons!

Thanx again everybody. I thought I was doing the right thing, but from
your comments I'd rather leave it like it is. Anyway, I removed the
starting of some useless stuff (like Quicktime, for instance). The
desktop is clean. I tried an SD Card (Kingston) to be activated
readyboost, but the system returned not compatible. Will look for
something which is.

All of you were most kind.

--
beto666
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Removing System Tray icons!
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:02:32 -0500, beto666
<beto666.2t0pvy@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

> Thanx again everybody. I thought I was doing the right thing, but from
> your comments I'd rather leave it like it is. Anyway, I removed the
> starting of some useless stuff (like Quicktime, for instance). The
> desktop is clean. I tried an SD Card (Kingston) to be activated
> readyboost, but the system returned not compatible. Will look for
> something which is.
>
> All of you were most kind.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Bob Newmam

Re: Removing System Tray icons!
I don't have any objection to most of those programs running, what I do have
an objection to is being forced to have icons telling me things like "I'm
currently connected to a local access network", "Microsoft Office Outlook",
"McAfee Security Center", etc., etc, taking up my valuable tray real estate.
When I need to click an icon there that I need I can't find it in the mess.
Then should have an icon for a "drawer" you could puts selected icons in and
you could open the drawer on an as needed basis.

Bob