Vista stops normal function when I run many programs at the same t

Hooman

Vista stops normal function when I run many programs at the same t
Hi!
I have a dual core desktop computer (CPU 6420, RAM: 2Gig ddr2, VGA: Nvidia
Geforce 7600 GT 256 MB Ram). When I run many programs at the same time or
open many web pages, windows stops to act normally. That is, right click does
not work, more programs cannot be run, new windows cannot be opened and
likewise. The problem solves when I close some of the opened web sites or
close some of the running programs. I have a huge amount of memory and when I
look at my memory in windows task manager, only 50-60% of physical ram is
being used during this abnormal windows condition.
I do not have such a problem in windows XP pro. (I have 2 OS in my system)
Can anyone help? Is this a vista bug or what?
Thanks in advance.

Fat Bastard

Re: Vista stops normal function when I run many programs at the same t
Sounds like you are out of either Desktop Heap or GDI handles. Most likely
you have a program that is leaking them or is using a ton of them for some
reason and you end up running out. Under normal circumstances, you would
have a very hard time opening enough windows to run out of either. If you
open Task Manager, you can add the column for GDI Handles and see if
something is using a bunch. Desktop Heap is a lot harder to troubleshoot, so
cross your fingers that it is GDI handles and not heap.

"Hooman" <Hooman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
> I have a dual core desktop computer (CPU 6420, RAM: 2Gig ddr2, VGA: Nvidia
> Geforce 7600 GT 256 MB Ram). When I run many programs at the same time or
> open many web pages, windows stops to act normally. That is, right click
> does
> not work, more programs cannot be run, new windows cannot be opened and
> likewise. The problem solves when I close some of the opened web sites or
> close some of the running programs. I have a huge amount of memory and
> when I
> look at my memory in windows task manager, only 50-60% of physical ram is
> being used during this abnormal windows condition.
> I do not have such a problem in windows XP pro. (I have 2 OS in my system)
> Can anyone help? Is this a vista bug or what?
> Thanks in advance.

Hooman

Re: Vista stops normal function when I run many programs at the sa
Hi!
Thanks for your reply. Yes! The problem is due to GDI handles and the
culprit is internet explorer! When it uses 5000 GDI+, the abnormal windows
condition starts! The interesting thing is that by closing even all web
pages, the number of the Iexplorer GDI objects does not change that much! and
I am forced to end Iexplorer task in task manager sothat the system gets back
to normal working conditions. This definitely should be a bug in vista. As I
mentioned earlier, I don't have this problem in windows XP pro.
Is there anything that I can do to fix the problem??
Thanks in advance.

P.S.
I forgot to mention in my first post that I have vista home premium
installed in my system and it is completely updated.

"Fat *******" wrote:

> Sounds like you are out of either Desktop Heap or GDI handles. Most likely
> you have a program that is leaking them or is using a ton of them for some
> reason and you end up running out. Under normal circumstances, you would
> have a very hard time opening enough windows to run out of either. If you
> open Task Manager, you can add the column for GDI Handles and see if
> something is using a bunch. Desktop Heap is a lot harder to troubleshoot, so
> cross your fingers that it is GDI handles and not heap.
>

> "Hooman" <Hooman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> > I have a dual core desktop computer (CPU 6420, RAM: 2Gig ddr2, VGA: Nvidia
> > Geforce 7600 GT 256 MB Ram). When I run many programs at the same time or
> > open many web pages, windows stops to act normally. That is, right click
> > does
> > not work, more programs cannot be run, new windows cannot be opened and
> > likewise. The problem solves when I close some of the opened web sites or
> > close some of the running programs. I have a huge amount of memory and
> > when I
> > look at my memory in windows task manager, only 50-60% of physical ram is
> > being used during this abnormal windows condition.
> > I do not have such a problem in windows XP pro. (I have 2 OS in my system)
> > Can anyone help? Is this a vista bug or what?
> > Thanks in advance.

Lord Takyon

> Hi!
> Thanks for your reply. Yes! The problem is due to GDI handles and the
> culprit is internet explorer! When it uses 5000 GDI+, the abnormal windows
> condition starts! The interesting thing is that by closing even all web
> pages, the number of the Iexplorer GDI objects does not change that much!
> and
> I am forced to end Iexplorer task in task manager sothat the system gets
> back
> to normal working conditions. This definitely should be a bug in vista. As
> mentioned earlier, I don't have this problem in windows XP pro.
> Is there anything that I can do to fix the problem??
> Thanks in advance.
>
> P.S.
> I forgot to mention in my first post that I have vista home premium
> installed in my system and it is completely updated.
>
> "Fat *******" wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you are out of either Desktop Heap or GDI handles. Most
>> likely
>> you have a program that is leaking them or is using a ton of them for
>> some
>> reason and you end up running out. Under normal circumstances, you would
>> have a very hard time opening enough windows to run out of either. If you
>> open Task Manager, you can add the column for GDI Handles and see if
>> something is using a bunch. Desktop Heap is a lot harder to troubleshoot,
>> so
>> cross your fingers that it is GDI handles and not heap.
>>

>> "Hooman" <Hooman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi!
>> > I have a dual core desktop computer (CPU 6420, RAM: 2Gig ddr2, VGA:
>> > Nvidia
>> > Geforce 7600 GT 256 MB Ram). When I run many programs at the same time
>> > or
>> > open many web pages, windows stops to act normally. That is, right
>> > click
>> > does
>> > not work, more programs cannot be run, new windows cannot be opened and
>> > likewise. The problem solves when I close some of the opened web sites
>> > or
>> > close some of the running programs. I have a huge amount of memory and
>> > when I
>> > look at my memory in windows task manager, only 50-60% of physical ram
>> > is
>> > being used during this abnormal windows condition.
>> > I do not have such a problem in windows XP pro. (I have 2 OS in my
>> > system)
>> > Can anyone help? Is this a vista bug or what?
>> > Thanks in advance.

My neighbour has had these issues too, we could not figure it out until I
saw this post. LOL he could not be bothered to look into a fix and just
switched to Firefox.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.