Deleting files - calculating time remaining?

AreJay222

Deleting files - calculating time remaining?
I'm trying to delete a file but get a status box that says Recycling -
calculating remaining time. The message box stays on screen forever and the
file is never deleted. I tried deleting the folder in which the file resides
- same thing. I can't even move the file or foler to the desktop or anywhere
else. It has messed up my photoshop program since in trying to read files in
that particular folder, the photoshop browser hangs up and the program does
not resppond - it's as if the file is unintelligable and photoshop doesn't
know what to do. It's not a photoshop problem though since in Windows
Explorer with Vista, I can't do anything with either the file or folder. How
can I get rid of this file?
anandk

RE: Deleting files - calculating time remaining?
"If you find that when you try to Copy, your Vista takes ages; or if you have
noticed a slow down or a non-response message when copying a file across the
network; and if the copy process stops responding (or hangs), then this tips
for you.

Microsoft has come out with a Fix for that. Use it only IF you are facing
this problem. In such case you usually see the following message, & you wait
endlessly, twiddling your thumb !

Calculating Time Remaining
0 minutes remaining

Install hotfix 931770 ! Microsoft has issued a fix for ALL versions of Vista
that should correct the problem. However the hotfix is NOT publicly
available, and you need to call PSS and ask for it."

For more information click http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770
--
www.WinVistaClub.com
Microsoft MVP 2007 Awardee.

"AreJay222" wrote:

> I'm trying to delete a file but get a status box that says Recycling -
> calculating remaining time. The message box stays on screen forever and the
> file is never deleted. I tried deleting the folder in which the file resides
> - same thing. I can't even move the file or foler to the desktop or anywhere
> else. It has messed up my photoshop program since in trying to read files in
> that particular folder, the photoshop browser hangs up and the program does
> not resppond - it's as if the file is unintelligable and photoshop doesn't
> know what to do. It's not a photoshop problem though since in Windows
> Explorer with Vista, I can't do anything with either the file or folder. How
> can I get rid of this file?

RobertSeattle

Re: Deleting files - calculating time remaining?
The problem may be hardware related, but is a Vista bug. For me, when
I removed an old D-Link Switch from the path from my Vista machinet to
my network server, the "Calculating" hang disappeared. I'd assume
there is a bug in the silly "Calculating" "feature" that doesn't
handle older software very well. Lousy programming and testing by
Microsoft.

(And the hotfix didn't fix the problem either)

Bob

Re: Deleting files - calculating time remaining?
And you are right the hotfix did not work, Whats next???? and when???

"RobertSeattle" wrote:

> The problem may be hardware related, but is a Vista bug. For me, when
> I removed an old D-Link Switch from the path from my Vista machinet to
> my network server, the "Calculating" hang disappeared. I'd assume
> there is a bug in the silly "Calculating" "feature" that doesn't
> handle older software very well. Lousy programming and testing by
> Microsoft.
>
> (And the hotfix didn't fix the problem either)

oz_rob

RE: Deleting files - calculating time remaining?
i have applied the hotfix and I still can't delete or move any files. so
much for the the "fix"

"anandk" wrote:

> "If you find that when you try to Copy, your Vista takes ages; or if you have
> noticed a slow down or a non-response message when copying a file across the
> network; and if the copy process stops responding (or hangs), then this tips
> for you.
>
> Microsoft has come out with a Fix for that. Use it only IF you are facing
> this problem. In such case you usually see the following message, & you wait
> endlessly, twiddling your thumb !
>
> Calculating Time Remaining
> 0 minutes remaining
>
> Install hotfix 931770 ! Microsoft has issued a fix for ALL versions of Vista
> that should correct the problem. However the hotfix is NOT publicly
> available, and you need to call PSS and ask for it."
>
> For more information click http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770
> --
> www.WinVistaClub.com
> Microsoft MVP 2007 Awardee.
>

> "AreJay222" wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to delete a file but get a status box that says Recycling -
> > calculating remaining time. The message box stays on screen forever and the
> > file is never deleted. I tried deleting the folder in which the file resides
> > - same thing. I can't even move the file or foler to the desktop or anywhere
> > else. It has messed up my photoshop program since in trying to read files in
> > that particular folder, the photoshop browser hangs up and the program does
> > not resppond - it's as if the file is unintelligable and photoshop doesn't
> > know what to do. It's not a photoshop problem though since in Windows
> > Explorer with Vista, I can't do anything with either the file or folder. How
> > can I get rid of this file?

echn111

Re: Deleting files - calculating time remaining?

Having the same problem. But it applies to moving files from one hard
drive to another, both which are located on my local PC.

After a few (i.e. 1 to 3) sucessful transfers, the "calculating time
remaining" stays forever. Canceling it results in the "cancelling"
window staying up forever. The only thing that "fixes" it is a reboot
of my machine.

All my hardware is relatively new (Q6600, WD sata drives, Vista-64
ultimate, 4 Gigs RAM, P35 motherboard etc).

--
echn111
echn111's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36345

http://forums.techarena.in

Jonas69

RE: Deleting files - calculating time remaining?
I have the same problem, applied all the related hotfixes. This bug is
driving me mad.

I reverted to WINDOWS XP on my productive machine already. Will this amateur
bug ever be fixed?

Jonas
spanky628

Re: Deleting files - calculating time remaining?
This same thing happened to me. I called tech support. He said this was a
virus that caused this problem because if you reboot in safe-mode and try to
move-delete-add a file it doesn't do it. So I would recommend trying to get
rid of the virus (name unknown) or as I did completely re-install Vista.
Mine works good as new and fast now. Good luck!