How bloated is Windows Vista ?

ppeett

How bloated is Windows Vista ?
On my old p.c. (WinXP) I had 10 Gig stored on my 30 Gig machine. Now that I
have a new p.c. (Vista Home Premium), it appears I'm using 50 Gig out of 250
Gig capacity.

I need to know what major pieces make up the 50 Gig that I'm using. (This
is "storage" -- NOT memory.

Can anyone help me find the source of getting this info from my machine?

(Please send copy of your reply to: ppeett@hotmail.com.donotspam
Tim

Re: How bloated is Windows Vista ?
For starters, Indexing...Shadow Copy (even though I believe Home Premium
does not support shadow copy...but MS still turned it on)...and System
Restore points are big users of disk space.

You could try one of those free utilities that shows disk usage so you would
know exactly where your space is going and not have to rely on general
comments.

Tim

"ppeett" <ppeett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On my old p.c. (WinXP) I had 10 Gig stored on my 30 Gig machine. Now that
> have a new p.c. (Vista Home Premium), it appears I'm using 50 Gig out of
> 250
> Gig capacity.
>
> I need to know what major pieces make up the 50 Gig that I'm using. (This
> is "storage" -- NOT memory.
>
> Can anyone help me find the source of getting this info from my machine?
>
> (Please send copy of your reply to: ppeett@hotmail.com.donotspam

Vista_Support

Re: How bloated is Windows Vista ?
Windows is only as bloated as you allow it to be.

"ppeett" <ppeett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On my old p.c. (WinXP) I had 10 Gig stored on my 30 Gig machine. Now that
> have a new p.c. (Vista Home Premium), it appears I'm using 50 Gig out of
> 250
> Gig capacity.
>
> I need to know what major pieces make up the 50 Gig that I'm using. (This
> is "storage" -- NOT memory.
>
> Can anyone help me find the source of getting this info from my machine?
>
> (Please send copy of your reply to: ppeett@hotmail.com.donotspam

ppeett

Re: How bloated is Windows Vista ?
Do you happen to know the name of "one of those free utilities that shows
disk usage". I found some on the web, but they were for MEMORY, rather than
storage.

ppeett

"Tim" wrote:

> For starters, Indexing...Shadow Copy (even though I believe Home Premium
> does not support shadow copy...but MS still turned it on)...and System
> Restore points are big users of disk space.
>
> You could try one of those free utilities that shows disk usage so you would
> know exactly where your space is going and not have to rely on general
> comments.
>
> Tim
>
> "ppeett" <ppeett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On my old p.c. (WinXP) I had 10 Gig stored on my 30 Gig machine. Now that
> > have a new p.c. (Vista Home Premium), it appears I'm using 50 Gig out of
> > 250
> > Gig capacity.
> >
> > I need to know what major pieces make up the 50 Gig that I'm using. (This
> > is "storage" -- NOT memory.
> >
> > Can anyone help me find the source of getting this info from my machine?
> >
> > (Please send copy of your reply to: ppeett@hotmail.com.donotspam

Spirit

Re: How bloated is Windows Vista ?
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp
Great free tools

> Do you happen to know the name of "one of those free utilities that shows
> disk usage". I found some on the web, but they were for MEMORY, rather
> than
> storage.
>
> ppeett
>
> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> For starters, Indexing...Shadow Copy (even though I believe Home Premium
>> does not support shadow copy...but MS still turned it on)...and System
>> Restore points are big users of disk space.
>>
>> You could try one of those free utilities that shows disk usage so you
>> would
>> know exactly where your space is going and not have to rely on general
>> comments.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> "ppeett" <ppeett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > On my old p.c. (WinXP) I had 10 Gig stored on my 30 Gig machine. Now
>> > that
>> > have a new p.c. (Vista Home Premium), it appears I'm using 50 Gig out
>> > of
>> > 250
>> > Gig capacity.
>> >
>> > I need to know what major pieces make up the 50 Gig that I'm using.
>> > (This
>> > is "storage" -- NOT memory.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help me find the source of getting this info from my
>> > machine?
>> >
>> > (Please send copy of your reply to: ppeett@hotmail.com.donotspam

Spirit

Re: How bloated is Windows Vista ?
Forgot this, I use the Pro version however even the Free one is super!

http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_free.html

"ppeett" <ppeett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you happen to know the name of "one of those free utilities that shows
> disk usage". I found some on the web, but they were for MEMORY, rather
> than
> storage.
>
> ppeett
>
> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> For starters, Indexing...Shadow Copy (even though I believe Home Premium
>> does not support shadow copy...but MS still turned it on)...and System
>> Restore points are big users of disk space.
>>
>> You could try one of those free utilities that shows disk usage so you
>> would
>> know exactly where your space is going and not have to rely on general
>> comments.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> "ppeett" <ppeett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > On my old p.c. (WinXP) I had 10 Gig stored on my 30 Gig machine. Now
>> > that
>> > have a new p.c. (Vista Home Premium), it appears I'm using 50 Gig out
>> > of
>> > 250
>> > Gig capacity.
>> >
>> > I need to know what major pieces make up the 50 Gig that I'm using.
>> > (This
>> > is "storage" -- NOT memory.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help me find the source of getting this info from my
>> > machine?
>> >
>> > (Please send copy of your reply to: ppeett@hotmail.com.donotspam

Tim

Re: How bloated is Windows Vista ?
In addition to Spirit's great suggestions (Karenware has great stuff), there
is DiskPie from PC Magazine. It has nice visual graphics on disk usage. Yu
can get it at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1614586,00.asp

Tim

"Spirit" <unknown@lost.info> wrote in message
> Forgot this, I use the Pro version however even the Free one is super!
>
> http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_free.html
>

> "ppeett" <ppeett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Do you happen to know the name of "one of those free utilities that shows
>> disk usage". I found some on the web, but they were for MEMORY, rather
>> than
>> storage.
>>
>> ppeett
>>
>> "Tim" wrote:
>>
>>> For starters, Indexing...Shadow Copy (even though I believe Home Premium
>>> does not support shadow copy...but MS still turned it on)...and System
>>> Restore points are big users of disk space.
>>>
>>> You could try one of those free utilities that shows disk usage so you
>>> would
>>> know exactly where your space is going and not have to rely on general
>>> comments.
>>>
>>> Tim

Kldjr

RE: How bloated is Windows Vista ?
I noticed that most of the time when I booth up my Dell Dimension E520 with
Windows Vista Home Edition the icons on the desktop get very large. This
seems to be a problem. How can this be fixed. Gratefull for some assistance.

"ppeett" wrote:

> On my old p.c. (WinXP) I had 10 Gig stored on my 30 Gig machine. Now that I
> have a new p.c. (Vista Home Premium), it appears I'm using 50 Gig out of 250
> Gig capacity.
>
> I need to know what major pieces make up the 50 Gig that I'm using. (This
> is "storage" -- NOT memory.
>
> Can anyone help me find the source of getting this info from my machine?
>
> (Please send copy of your reply to: ppeett@hotmail.com.donotspam

Cal Bear '66

Re: How bloated is Windows Vista ?
Hold down Ctrl key while rotating the mouse wheel will resize the desktop icons.

Do you mean that the icons do not retain their size after a reboot?

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!