Memory Throttling?

jamesy

Memory Throttling?
Does Vista throttle memory usage? I have a new machine with Vista
pre-installed, and it runs disk-bound all the time. 2GB ram and 5400 rpm
drive seems like a huge memory mismatch - don't know why they still put 5400
rpm drives in. Maybe my cache is too small? The system seems to only use
1GB, so wondering why it's not taking advantage of the other 1GB???
Richard Urban

Re: Memory Throttling?
Most laptops have drives that are 5400 RPM. They use less current and the
batteries last longer than when 7200 RPM drives are installed.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"jamesy" <jamesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does Vista throttle memory usage? I have a new machine with Vista
> pre-installed, and it runs disk-bound all the time. 2GB ram and 5400 rpm
> drive seems like a huge memory mismatch - don't know why they still put
> 5400
> rpm drives in. Maybe my cache is too small? The system seems to only use
> 1GB, so wondering why it's not taking advantage of the other 1GB???

jamesy

Re: Memory Throttling?
The question is regarding Vista and memory: do different versions only allow
for limited memory use? Do i need to get Ultimate to get to use the other
1GB in the machine? Or is this also a power issue - if this were a desktop
it would mamage memory better? Thanks

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Most laptops have drives that are 5400 RPM. They use less current and the
> batteries last longer than when 7200 RPM drives are installed.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "jamesy" <jamesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does Vista throttle memory usage? I have a new machine with Vista
> > pre-installed, and it runs disk-bound all the time. 2GB ram and 5400 rpm
> > drive seems like a huge memory mismatch - don't know why they still put
> > 5400
> > rpm drives in. Maybe my cache is too small? The system seems to only use
> > 1GB, so wondering why it's not taking advantage of the other 1GB???

Lord Takyon

Re: Memory Throttling?
> The question is regarding Vista and memory: do different versions only
> allow
> for limited memory use? Do i need to get Ultimate to get to use the other
> 1GB in the machine? Or is this also a power issue - if this were a
> desktop
> it would mamage memory better? Thanks
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Most laptops have drives that are 5400 RPM. They use less current and the
>> batteries last longer than when 7200 RPM drives are installed.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "jamesy" <jamesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Does Vista throttle memory usage? I have a new machine with Vista
>> > pre-installed, and it runs disk-bound all the time. 2GB ram and 5400
>> > rpm
>> > drive seems like a huge memory mismatch - don't know why they still put
>> > 5400
>> > rpm drives in. Maybe my cache is too small? The system seems to only
>> > use
>> > 1GB, so wondering why it's not taking advantage of the other 1GB???

Does Windows see the full amount of RAM?

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

Michael

Re: Memory Throttling?
32 bit vista is limited to somewhere below 4GB (you can install 4GB, a
portion at the high end is used for hardware mapping yielding about 3.5GB
for the operating system.)
64 bit vista can use much more memory (don't know how much, but probably
more than you can afford).

My Vista home premium has 2 GB, normally runs about 30-50% used (as I type
this 740MB of 2045MB is in use).
If I start loading more programs the usage goes up, I don't do enough fancy
stuff to make much use of the second GB but didn't cost much and is good to
have in reserve.

Michael

"jamesy" <jamesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The question is regarding Vista and memory: do different versions only
> allow
> for limited memory use? Do i need to get Ultimate to get to use the other
> 1GB in the machine? Or is this also a power issue - if this were a
> desktop
> it would mamage memory better? Thanks
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Most laptops have drives that are 5400 RPM. They use less current and the
>> batteries last longer than when 7200 RPM drives are installed.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "jamesy" <jamesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Does Vista throttle memory usage? I have a new machine with Vista
>> > pre-installed, and it runs disk-bound all the time. 2GB ram and 5400
>> > rpm
>> > drive seems like a huge memory mismatch - don't know why they still put
>> > 5400
>> > rpm drives in. Maybe my cache is too small? The system seems to only
>> > use
>> > 1GB, so wondering why it's not taking advantage of the other 1GB???

Mac

Re: Memory Throttling?
If it is new it may still be doing initial indexing... look in task manager
to see which processes are hogging the disk (add the disk i/o columns)...

PS. 64 bit OS's can address 16 exabytes or 18446744073709551616 bytes...

http://www.google.com/search?q=18446...e7&rlz=1I7SUNA

"Michael" <mexxwalraven@verson.net> wrote in message
> 32 bit vista is limited to somewhere below 4GB (you can install 4GB, a
> portion at the high end is used for hardware mapping yielding about 3.5GB
> for the operating system.)
> 64 bit vista can use much more memory (don't know how much, but probably
> more than you can afford).
>
> My Vista home premium has 2 GB, normally runs about 30-50% used (as I type
> this 740MB of 2045MB is in use).
> If I start loading more programs the usage goes up, I don't do enough
> fancy stuff to make much use of the second GB but didn't cost much and is
> good to have in reserve.
>
> Michael
>
> "jamesy" <jamesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The question is regarding Vista and memory: do different versions only
>> allow
>> for limited memory use? Do i need to get Ultimate to get to use the
>> other
>> 1GB in the machine? Or is this also a power issue - if this were a
>> desktop
>> it would mamage memory better? Thanks
>>
>> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>>
>>> Most laptops have drives that are 5400 RPM. They use less current and
>>> the
>>> batteries last longer than when 7200 RPM drives are installed.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)

Richard Urban

Re: Memory Throttling?
You did state the following:

don't know why they still put 5400 rpm drives in

I was telling you why!

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"jamesy" <jamesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The question is regarding Vista and memory: do different versions only
> allow
> for limited memory use? Do i need to get Ultimate to get to use the other
> 1GB in the machine? Or is this also a power issue - if this were a
> desktop
> it would mamage memory better? Thanks
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Most laptops have drives that are 5400 RPM. They use less current and the
>> batteries last longer than when 7200 RPM drives are installed.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "jamesy" <jamesy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Does Vista throttle memory usage? I have a new machine with Vista
>> > pre-installed, and it runs disk-bound all the time. 2GB ram and 5400
>> > rpm
>> > drive seems like a huge memory mismatch - don't know why they still put
>> > 5400
>> > rpm drives in. Maybe my cache is too small? The system seems to only
>> > use
>> > 1GB, so wondering why it's not taking advantage of the other 1GB???

vistageek

RE: Memory Throttling?
I have windows vista ultimate installed and it usel only about 700 or 800 mb
on regular usage. When I run preograms likes Photoshop or heavy games, the
memory usage goes to around 1.3 GB or so. Its not manadatory for the
operating system to use all the memory that you put in the computer. Also,
many of the items are stored in the virtual memory which is around 3-4 GB by
default.

"jamesy" wrote:

> Does Vista throttle memory usage? I have a new machine with Vista
> pre-installed, and it runs disk-bound all the time. 2GB ram and 5400 rpm
> drive seems like a huge memory mismatch - don't know why they still put 5400
> rpm drives in. Maybe my cache is too small? The system seems to only use
> 1GB, so wondering why it's not taking advantage of the other 1GB???

James Matthews

Re: Memory Throttling?
Vista uses the RAM in many ways one of them is called prefetch where they
load the most used programs into the RAM so executing will be done faster.
So things should be faster BTW what is your vista score?

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/watches.asp?Brand=39