Re: no sleep recovery after power down

John Hanley

"John Hanley" <jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:...

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "John Hanley" <jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I am one of those with the similar Vista sleep problem. In my disk
>>> cleanup menu the choice for "Hibernation File Cleaner" is and has been
>>> unchecked since I got the computer a month ago. As far as I know, I
>>> have never run Disk Cleanup, so I don't think this is the source of my
>>> problem. At this point, I have tried most of the possible choices in
>>> Power Options, Device Manager Power Management settings, etc., but the
>>> sleep dysfunction remains. The HP help people want me to do a system
>>> Recovery, but I am reluctant to do that. I do now think there was a
>>> time (for the first couple of weeks) that the system would go to sleep
>>> and wake correctly, but am still trying to figure out what might have
>>> changed to cause sleep to no longer work properly. For a time it would
>>> not go into sleep (woke right back up); at this time, it will go into
>>> sleep (when I invoke a sleep button), but bringing it out of sleep gives
>>> the BSOD.
>>>
>>> At this point, I have the following arrangement of power related items:
>>> • Power Saver, with ‘Put the computer to sleep: Never (to avoid it going
>>> into BSOD on its own)
>>> o Sleep after: Never
>>> o Allow hybrid sleep: Off
>>> o Hibernate after: Never
>>> o Minimum processor state: 5%
>>> o Maximum processor state: 50%
>>> o Multimedia/When sharing media: Allow the computer to sleep
>>> • Device Manager
>>> o Network adapter, Power Management:
>>>  Unchecked “Allow the computer to turn off this device…”
>>>  Unchecked “Allow this device to wake the computer”
>>> o Universal Serial Bus controllers:
>>>  USB Root Hub(s), Power Management:
>>> • Unchecked “Allow this device to wake the computer”
>>> • Unchecked “Allow the computer to turn off this device…”
>>> o Fax Modem:
>>> • Unchecked “Allow this device to wake the computer”
>>> • Unchecked “Allow the computer to turn off this device…”
>>> o Mice and Keyboard are allowed to wake the computer. (I tried it with
>>> these unchecked, but did not help)
>>>
>>> Am happy to dialogue with anyone who can help!

>> Have you looked to see if there is a BIOS update? Are all the drivers
>> the latest Vista compatible drivers?
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

> I have looked for BIOS updates, and HP customer service looked also, but
> the BIOS that shipped with the machine is the latest version. I also
> looked for driver updates, and (as far as I can tell) all mine are up to
> date. My machine was delivered new to me on May 25th.

I think I have finally resolved my Vista sleep problem. My solution path
was:

-my HP Pavilion Vista system did sleep properly between May 25th (when I
bought it) and June 13th; after that it began either not going to sleep or
not waking from sleep.

-on June 13th I had attempted to install software to run my HP Scanjet 3970
from a CD in drive E: I thought I had verified that the hardware and
software would run on Vista, but evidently I was wrong; the scanner software
appeared to partially install, but not completely; I subsequently
uninstalled the programs.

-I realized later that one artifact of the abortive installation remained, a
reference to a program called zzzhpsetup.exe

-I found zzzhpsetup in the list of msconfig Startup tab items. After I
unchecked it, and did a reboot, the sleep function started to work ok.

-zzzhpsetup did not show up in a full system search. Its msconfig Startup
Command column showed E:\Setup.exe and referenced
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the registry; however, there is
no recognizable item for zzzhpsetup in RegEdit. Google searches reveal
almost nothing about such a program, although it seems to show up in
peoples' HJT logs. I will just leave this item unchecked in the msconfig
startup list. I would like to remove it from the listing altogether, but
have not found a way to do this (since it does not show up in the registry).

-At this point, I have returned most of my Power Save options to the default
values and the machine is sleep and waking normally. Obviously I don't have
a cause and effect conclusion that zzzhpsetup was the source of the sleep
problem, but on circumstantial evidence, it seems likely.

Thoughts from anyone would be welcomed.

Rock

Re: no sleep recovery after power down
"John Hanley" <jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote

<snip>

> I think I have finally resolved my Vista sleep problem. My solution path
> was:
>
> -my HP Pavilion Vista system did sleep properly between May 25th (when I
> bought it) and June 13th; after that it began either not going to sleep or
> not waking from sleep.
>
> -on June 13th I had attempted to install software to run my HP Scanjet
> 3970
> from a CD in drive E: I thought I had verified that the hardware and
> software would run on Vista, but evidently I was wrong; the scanner
> software
> appeared to partially install, but not completely; I subsequently
> uninstalled the programs.
>
> -I realized later that one artifact of the abortive installation remained,
> reference to a program called zzzhpsetup.exe
>
> -I found zzzhpsetup in the list of msconfig Startup tab items. After I
> unchecked it, and did a reboot, the sleep function started to work ok.
>
> -zzzhpsetup did not show up in a full system search. Its msconfig Startup
> Command column showed E:\Setup.exe and referenced
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the registry; however, there
> is
> no recognizable item for zzzhpsetup in RegEdit. Google searches reveal
> almost nothing about such a program, although it seems to show up in
> peoples' HJT logs. I will just leave this item unchecked in the msconfig
> startup list. I would like to remove it from the listing altogether, but
> have not found a way to do this (since it does not show up in the
> registry).
>
> -At this point, I have returned most of my Power Save options to the
> default
> values and the machine is sleep and waking normally. Obviously I don't
> have
> a cause and effect conclusion that zzzhpsetup was the source of the sleep
> problem, but on circumstantial evidence, it seems likely.
>
> Thoughts from anyone would be welcomed.

I'm glad you seem to have gotten it resolved. It's strange that an entry in
msconfig referencing a non existent file ( the E: drive is the CD or DVD,
right?) would cause a sleep problem.

I'm not sure how you searched for the file, but if all you used was the
built in search I would use another tool to be double sure. Agent Ransack
is free and although the web site doesn't mention Vista it runs on this
Vista Ultimate installation with no problems. It doesn't require admin
privileges to run.

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

With the entry unchecked from msconfig you can now delete it. Run regedit
and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Msconfig\startupfolder
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

The item you unchecked should be listed in one of these. Delete the entry.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

John Hanley

> [...]

> I'm glad you seem to have gotten it resolved. It's strange that an entry
> in msconfig referencing a non existent file ( the E: drive is the CD or
> DVD, right?) would cause a sleep problem.
>
> I'm not sure how you searched for the file, but if all you used was the
> built in search I would use another tool to be double sure. Agent Ransack
> is free and although the web site doesn't mention Vista it runs on this
> Vista Ultimate installation with no problems. It doesn't require admin
> privileges to run.
>
> http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
>
> With the entry unchecked from msconfig you can now delete it. Run
> regedit and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Msconfig\startupfolder
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
>
> The item you unchecked should be listed in one of these. Delete the

I did a further test (in the interest of the scientific method). I
re-enabled the pesky zzzhpsetup item in the msconfig startup items list.
Rebooted, tested for sleep function: you guessed it, the system slept and
woke just fine. Go figure; guess the problem is something else.
Interestingly, after the re-enable and reboot, zzzhpsetup appeared for the
first time in the registry. I then took a look around using Windows
Defender Software Explorer, and there was an entry in there for
E:\Setup.exe, as 'Publisher Not Available'. I used the Remove function in
WDSE and that entry is gone as well as my old friend zzzhpsetup in the
msconfig startup list. I rebooted, and the system goes to sleep and wakes
just fine. Will chalk this up to an unknown resolution I guess; but I am
glad I was able to get rid of the item by one means or another. Thanks for
your comments!

Rock

Re: no sleep recovery after power down
"John Hanley" <jphanley@ix.netcom.com> wrote

<snip>

> I did a further test (in the interest of the scientific method). I
> re-enabled the pesky zzzhpsetup item in the msconfig startup items list.
> Rebooted, tested for sleep function: you guessed it, the system slept and
> woke just fine. Go figure; guess the problem is something else.
> Interestingly, after the re-enable and reboot, zzzhpsetup appeared for the
> first time in the registry. I then took a look around using Windows
> Defender Software Explorer, and there was an entry in there for
> E:\Setup.exe, as 'Publisher Not Available'. I used the Remove function in
> WDSE and that entry is gone as well as my old friend zzzhpsetup in the
> msconfig startup list. I rebooted, and the system goes to sleep and wakes
> just fine. Will chalk this up to an unknown resolution I guess; but I am
> glad I was able to get rid of the item by one means or another. Thanks
> for
> your comments!

Interesting, one of those things that sort of resolved itself with some
help, but it's not clear why, lol. Glad its' fixed for you. You're
welcome.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]