explorer.exe crashes constantly

Jeff in Portland

explorer.exe crashes constantly
Ive had Windows Vista Ultimate since its public release.

I keep having the problem of explorer.exe crashing. I cannot get it to
happen on a regular basis... but it happens frequently.

Ill be working along, and suddenly my start/taskbar goes haywire... and
looks all funny. Ill move my mouse down to the lower right area that shows
the programs running... move the mouse back and forth a bit, and then windows
will say "explorer.exe quit unexpectedly" then it "looks for a soulution
online, never finds anything, and restarts.

Has anyone else had this problems? Im running a P4 system with an ATI
Raedon 1650... it really has no other issues.

Thanks everyone....
eav

Re: explorer.exe crashes constantly
I've had it happen 3 times on a two week old system.

On Jun 24, 6:17 pm, Jeff in Portland
<JeffinPortl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Ive had Windows Vista Ultimate since its public release.
>
> I keep having the problem of explorer.exe crashing. I cannot get it to
> happen on a regular basis... but it happens frequently.
>
> Ill be working along, and suddenly my start/taskbar goes haywire... and
> looks all funny. Ill move my mouse down to the lower right area that shows
> the programs running... move the mouse back and forth a bit, and then windows
> will say "explorer.exe quit unexpectedly" then it "looks for a soulution
> online, never finds anything, and restarts.
>
> Has anyone else had this problems? Im running a P4 system with an ATI
> Raedon 1650... it really has no other issues.
>
> Thanks everyone....

Lester Stiefel

eav wrote:
> I've had it happen 3 times on a two week old system.
>

> On Jun 24, 6:17 pm, Jeff in Portland
> <JeffinPortl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Ive had Windows Vista Ultimate since its public release.
>>
>> I keep having the problem of explorer.exe crashing. I cannot get it to
>> happen on a regular basis... but it happens frequently.
>>
>> Ill be working along, and suddenly my start/taskbar goes haywire... and
>> looks all funny. Ill move my mouse down to the lower right area that shows
>> the programs running... move the mouse back and forth a bit, and then windows
>> will say "explorer.exe quit unexpectedly" then it "looks for a soulution
>> online, never finds anything, and restarts.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problems? Im running a P4 system with an ATI
>> Raedon 1650... it really has no other issues.
>>
>> Thanks everyone....

Actually, your problem may not be explorer at all. May I
ask, what you were doing in the explorer/computer
application when this happened?
Were you, per chance copying or moving files?
If you were, copying/moving files, the problem may be
'Volume shadow copy' service failure instead. Chech further
into your logs through the system area and admin tools. I
had a major failure causing the OS to 'eat itself'
literally, forcing me to reinstall 2x in one night. What a
blunder.
--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
OllieBrown

Re: explorer.exe crashes constantly
I have experienced almost exactly the same problem. Explorer.exe
crashes almost constantly, sometimes when trying to cut and paste
files, sometimes just a few seconds after I launch a new program,
sometimes for no apparent reason at all. I haven't observed the same
corruption of the taskbar as you described just a window pops up
saying explorer has been terminated and they are searching for a
solution to the problem. No solution comes back and explorer is
automatically restarted.

I checked my Application event log to see what it says and there
doesn't appear to be any other obvious culprit. It just shows
explorer.exe crashing with different time stamps for each crash.
Interestingly, the fault offset is the same every time: fault offset
0x00042e7b. Don't know if there's any useful information in there.

Would love to find a way to fix this. It's quite annoying. My system
is a Dell Inspiron e1705 laptop, Core Duo, Nvidia Go 7800.

Ollie

On Jun 24, 6:17 pm, Jeff in Portland
<JeffinPortl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Ive had Windows Vista Ultimate since its public release.
>
> I keep having the problem of explorer.exe crashing. I cannot get it to
> happen on a regular basis... but it happens frequently.
>
> Ill be working along, and suddenly my start/taskbar goes haywire... and
> looks all funny. Ill move my mouse down to the lower right area that shows
> the programs running... move the mouse back and forth a bit, and then windows
> will say "explorer.exe quit unexpectedly" then it "looks for a soulution
> online, never finds anything, and restarts.
>
> Has anyone else had this problems? Im running a P4 system with an ATI
> Raedon 1650... it really has no other issues.
>
> Thanks everyone....

Dave from Metro NY

Re: explorer.exe crashes constantly
I have been having the same problem of windows explorer crashing from the
first day I got my Dell xps m1210, last week.

When I disabled the transparency effect it helped a lot but windows
explorer still crashes. So I am quessing the problem may be with the video
driver. I will need to explore that.

But does anyone have a solid answer?

"OllieBrown" wrote:

> I have experienced almost exactly the same problem. Explorer.exe
> crashes almost constantly, sometimes when trying to cut and paste
> files, sometimes just a few seconds after I launch a new program,
> sometimes for no apparent reason at all. I haven't observed the same
> corruption of the taskbar as you described just a window pops up
> saying explorer has been terminated and they are searching for a
> solution to the problem. No solution comes back and explorer is
> automatically restarted.
>
> I checked my Application event log to see what it says and there
> doesn't appear to be any other obvious culprit. It just shows
> explorer.exe crashing with different time stamps for each crash.
> Interestingly, the fault offset is the same every time: fault offset
> 0x00042e7b. Don't know if there's any useful information in there.
>
> Would love to find a way to fix this. It's quite annoying. My system
> is a Dell Inspiron e1705 laptop, Core Duo, Nvidia Go 7800.
>
> Ollie
>
> On Jun 24, 6:17 pm, Jeff in Portland
> <JeffinPortl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Ive had Windows Vista Ultimate since its public release.
> >
> > I keep having the problem of explorer.exe crashing. I cannot get it to
> > happen on a regular basis... but it happens frequently.
> >
> > Ill be working along, and suddenly my start/taskbar goes haywire... and
> > looks all funny. Ill move my mouse down to the lower right area that shows
> > the programs running... move the mouse back and forth a bit, and then windows
> > will say "explorer.exe quit unexpectedly" then it "looks for a soulution
> > online, never finds anything, and restarts.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problems? Im running a P4 system with an ATI
> > Raedon 1650... it really has no other issues.
> >
> > Thanks everyone....

Dave from Metro NY

RE: explorer.exe crashes constantly
Well, I think I have a partial answer. If you have a Dell get the download
for the model appropriate graphics download update. The Dell update
completely fixed the crashing, but slowed down some apps alot especially the
web browsers- firefox, opera and netscape, even IE some. So I uninstalled
and reinstalled all except IE and all is well, again.

If you do not have a Dell try the update if you are adventurous. Or try the
driver download from Nvidia for your graphics card.

Good Luck!

DaveC

"Jeff in Portland" wrote:

> Ive had Windows Vista Ultimate since its public release.
>
> I keep having the problem of explorer.exe crashing. I cannot get it to
> happen on a regular basis... but it happens frequently.
>
> Ill be working along, and suddenly my start/taskbar goes haywire... and
> looks all funny. Ill move my mouse down to the lower right area that shows
> the programs running... move the mouse back and forth a bit, and then windows
> will say "explorer.exe quit unexpectedly" then it "looks for a soulution
> online, never finds anything, and restarts.
>
> Has anyone else had this problems? Im running a P4 system with an ATI
> Raedon 1650... it really has no other issues.
>
> Thanks everyone....

shadgron

RE: explorer.exe crashes constantly
I have the Vista 64bit version of Ultimate installed on a new machine

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard
Intel CPU E6600 (2.4GHz)
Ram 2047 MB
Radeon X1950 Pro Video Card

The machine was built in May this year and ran with no problems until about
the first of July. I then started to get random crashes and reboots of
windows explorer. There has been no new software or hardware added in that
time frame. During the period of typing this message I have once again
received a message that windows explorer was rebooting

I am getting very fustrated. I am also posting on the crash thread since the
machine in the past couple of weeks has also started to crash so that only a
hard reboot will get it going.
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: explorer.exe crashes constantly
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:58:00 -0700, shadgron

>I have the Vista 64bit version of Ultimate installed on a new machine

>ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard
>Intel CPU E6600 (2.4GHz)
>Ram 2047 MB
>Radeon X1950 Pro Video Card

>The machine was built in May this year and ran with no problems until about
>the first of July. I then started to get random crashes and reboots of
>windows explorer. There has been no new software or hardware added

Are crashes etc. only in Explorer?

If Yes, then 1st suspect is something that has integrated into the
shell, or is part of the namespace.

If No, then 1st suspect is something broader; bad RAM, less likely
hard drive or motherboard caps (it's a new PC), and malware.

Are you overclocking? If so, stop and see if that helps.

Things that can prang Explorer include:
- malware; good like formally scanning Vista64 from WinPE..
- shell integrations; use Nirsoft Shell Extension Viewer
- BHOs; use IE's controls to disable these
- bad disks; ensure all removable disks and storage is ejected
- bad content; disable "gropers" such as thumbnails
- bad or hostile Desktop.ini or Autorun.inf
- bad .CPL files
- check ChkDsk/AutoChk logs; files "fixed"?
- check antivirus logs; any code files "cleaned"?
- bad user profile; try a different user account
Also, try these:
- use the simplist views, i.e. List
- look for namespace objects on desktop, kill
- compare with Safe Mode mileage
- consider using a 3rd-party shell
- consider clearing indexes, web cache, Temp, etc.

Swallowed any updates lately?
Used any registry cleaners lately?

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

To one who only has a hammer,
everything looks like a nail

shadgron

Re: explorer.exe crashes constantly
Thanks for the suggestions. I will followup further in the areas suggested.
Yes I am automatically receiving the updates from microsoft for Windows and
Office 2007. I have also implemented suggested updates from adobe for flash
and their reader.

I haven't overclocked yet since I always want to make sure my system is
totally stable before attempting to throw anything else in the mix
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: explorer.exe crashes constantly
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:10:01 -0700, shadgron

>I haven't overclocked yet since I always want to make sure my system is
>totally stable before attempting to throw anything else in the mix

Absolutely... and frankly, I can barely notice anything under a 50%
CPU speedup anyway, so 90% hardware stability risk for 10% speed gain
doesn't look like a good value proposition.

A PC that's away being fixed for a week is a REALLY slow PC ;-)

I find more benefit in intelligently partitioning large fast hard
drives, so that 90% head travel is concentrated in 5% of the seek
range (irrespective of fragmentation). That really helps speed up the
red HD activity LED, which is usually what I'm waiting for.

Who is General Failure and
why is he reading my disk?