increase from 2gb to 3gb or 4gb on vista 32

BenHur

increase from 2gb to 3gb or 4gb on vista 32

how to increase in the boot.ini file to use 3bg or 4gb, i have a game that
needs this much to run will out getting a no room for dump file 184 message

Fat Bastard

Re: increase from 2gb to 3gb or 4gb on vista 32
I have no idea what you are talking about. Adding memory has nothing to do
with the boot.ini. You just add the memory and Vista should recognise it.
Not to mention, Vista doesnt even use a Boot.ini any more, it uses what is
called the Boot Configuration Database. And what does a game have to do with
getting a dump?

"BenHur" <dfdfsa@eaef.com> wrote in message

> how to increase in the boot.ini file to use 3bg or 4gb, i have a game
> that
> needs this much to run will out getting a no room for dump file 184
> message

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: increase from 2gb to 3gb or 4gb on vista 32
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:21:00 -0500, "Fat *******" <*******@home.com>
wrote:

> I have no idea what you are talking about. Adding memory has nothing to do
> with the boot.ini. You just add the memory and Vista should recognise it.
> Not to mention, Vista doesnt even use a Boot.ini any more, it uses what is
> called the Boot Configuration Database. And what does a game have to do with
> getting a dump?

Over and above that, 32-bit Windows can not use more than just over
3GB of RAM anyway.

> "BenHur" <dfdfsa@eaef.com> wrote in message
> >

> > how to increase in the boot.ini file to use 3bg or 4gb, i have a game
> > that
> > needs this much to run will out getting a no room for dump file 184
> > message

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Fat Bastard

Re: increase from 2gb to 3gb or 4gb on vista 32
Sorry, but you are a bit confused. The limitation is not due to the 32-bit
OS that is installed, it is the motherboard that is blocking off the memory
for hardware usage. The following MS blog post describes this:

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/arc...-s-my-ram.aspx

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:38:20 -0500, "Fat *******" <*******@home.com>
wrote:

> Sorry, but you are a bit confused. The limitation is not due to the 32-bit
> OS that is installed, it is the motherboard that is blocking off the memory
> for hardware usage. The following MS blog post describes this:
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/arc...-s-my-ram.aspx

Sorry, but you are the one who is confused. Read here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929580/

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:21:00 -0500, "Fat *******" <*******@home.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I have no idea what you are talking about. Adding memory has nothing to
> >> do
> >> with the boot.ini. You just add the memory and Vista should recognise it.
> >> Not to mention, Vista doesnt even use a Boot.ini any more, it uses what
> >> is
> >> called the Boot Configuration Database. And what does a game have to do
> >> with
> >> getting a dump?

> > Over and above that, 32-bit Windows can not use more than just over
> > 3GB of RAM anyway.
> >

> >> "BenHur" <dfdfsa@eaef.com> wrote in message

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Fat Bastard

Re: increase from 2gb to 3gb or 4gb on vista 32
Actually, no, the article just describes a slightly different aspect of the
issue. It is true that a 32-bit OS can only use a 4gb memory space, thus the
hardware reservations have to be somewhere in that range. By using PAE you
MAY be able to work around the issue, IF the motherboard allows it to load
the hardware devices in the upper memory spaces above 4gb. However,
regardless of what OS you run or what software settings you use, that chunk
of memory will be blocked off if the motherboard does not support the proper
addressing to move it up there.