AutoPlay Makes HDD Light Flash Every Second

Gideon_CC

AutoPlay Makes HDD Light Flash Every Second
When I have AutoPlay enabled on my computer with Vista, the hard disk always
flashes once or twice every second. However, when I disable it, it only
flashes every 2-5 seconds generally. Does anyone else notice this? Is this
normal?
Rick Rogers

Re: AutoPlay Makes HDD Light Flash Every Second
Hi,

Don't know that having autoplay enabled would do that as the setting merely
determines what the system does when a disk is inserted. It doesn't cause
the system to actively monitor the drive any more than it already does.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Gideon_CC" <GideonCC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I have AutoPlay enabled on my computer with Vista, the hard disk
> always
> flashes once or twice every second. However, when I disable it, it only
> flashes every 2-5 seconds generally. Does anyone else notice this? Is this
> normal?

Gideon_CC

Re: AutoPlay Makes HDD Light Flash Every Second
Appartently, it does seem to affect it.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Don't know that having autoplay enabled would do that as the setting merely
> determines what the system does when a disk is inserted. It doesn't cause
> the system to actively monitor the drive any more than it already does.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gideon_CC" <GideonCC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I have AutoPlay enabled on my computer with Vista, the hard disk
> > always
> > flashes once or twice every second. However, when I disable it, it only
> > flashes every 2-5 seconds generally. Does anyone else notice this? Is this
> > normal?

Rick Rogers

Re: AutoPlay Makes HDD Light Flash Every Second
Hi,

Try running process explorer to see where the activity is originating:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

--

> Appartently, it does seem to affect it.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Don't know that having autoplay enabled would do that as the setting
>> merely
>> determines what the system does when a disk is inserted. It doesn't cause
>> the system to actively monitor the drive any more than it already does.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Gideon_CC" <GideonCC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I have AutoPlay enabled on my computer with Vista, the hard disk
>> > always
>> > flashes once or twice every second. However, when I disable it, it only
>> > flashes every 2-5 seconds generally. Does anyone else notice this? Is
>> > this
>> > normal?

Gideon_CC

Re: AutoPlay Makes HDD Light Flash Every Second
I went to a friends house today to help him with his PC and I noticed his HDD
Light was flashing pretty much every second or so. It is also a Dell, he has
Dimension E520 and I have E521. Not sure if its to do with the motherboard
being sensitive to hardware or disk activity etc?