Missing power management option?

Baker

Missing power management option?
When I go power options, I have no option for closing the lid of my laptop.

In other words, where there should be a "When I close the lid, do what?"
option, there is none.

Any help would be appreciated.
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Missing power management option?
Hello,

I don't have a notebook, so can't reproduce the problem for you.
The following newsgroup thread suggests that you might have to have the
latest driver and BIOS to use all the power options properly:

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/sho...&tf=0&pageid=0

Maybe this will help you.
Greetings,
Paolo Di Stolfo

"Baker" <Baker@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> When I go power options, I have no option for closing the lid of my
> laptop.
>
> In other words, where there should be a "When I close the lid, do what?"
> option, there is none.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Rick Rogers

Re: Missing power management option?
Hi Baker,

For laptops, normally that is in the left column of power options. If not,
try going into the option to change plan settings, then click on the
advanced power settings. You may also need to go to the line that offers to
change settings not currently available (which will prompt for UAC access).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Baker" <Baker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I go power options, I have no option for closing the lid of my
> laptop.
>
> In other words, where there should be a "When I close the lid, do what?"
> option, there is none.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Baker

Re: Missing power management option?
I already looked to the left panel, and in advanced options, I've tried
everything. Neither HP nor this website have an answer to me.

The closest problem similar to mine I can find is that people are finding
that hibernation is not available in the shut down menu, however I do have
hibernation available to me there.

I tried downloading the new BIOS and video card drivers, and no luck with
that either.

Rick Rogers

Re: Missing power management option?
Hi,

What Power Management scheme are you using? A user-defined one or the
default installed by HP?

--

>I already looked to the left panel, and in advanced options, I've tried
> everything. Neither HP nor this website have an answer to me.
>
> The closest problem similar to mine I can find is that people are finding
> that hibernation is not available in the shut down menu, however I do have
> hibernation available to me there.
>
> I tried downloading the new BIOS and video card drivers, and no luck with
> that either.

2Yankee42

Re: Missing power management option?
Did you do hard drive cleanup recently? I had that happen before and the
Hibernate function was missing. Sometimes going to the Microsoft website
will help. After all Vista is produced by Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US%3b928897

"Baker" <Baker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I already looked to the left panel, and in advanced options, I've tried
> everything. Neither HP nor this website have an answer to me.
>
> The closest problem similar to mine I can find is that people are finding
> that hibernation is not available in the shut down menu, however I do have
> hibernation available to me there.
>
> I tried downloading the new BIOS and video card drivers, and no luck with
> that either.

Baker

Re: Missing power management option?
Like I said, the hibernation option isn't missing. It's the "Do what when you
close your lid" option that is missing. I didn't do a hard drive cleanup, and
I already went to the microsoft website to look up information, and I found
the "Hibernation is missing in the shut down menu"

That is not the problem I am having. I have no option of "Do what when you
close your lid"

@Rick, I just have the default power management for windows vista.

"2Yankee42" wrote:

> Did you do hard drive cleanup recently? I had that happen before and the
> Hibernate function was missing. Sometimes going to the Microsoft website
> will help. After all Vista is produced by Microsoft.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US%3b928897
>

> "Baker" <Baker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I already looked to the left panel, and in advanced options, I've tried
> > everything. Neither HP nor this website have an answer to me.
> >
> > The closest problem similar to mine I can find is that people are finding
> > that hibernation is not available in the shut down menu, however I do have
> > hibernation available to me there.
> >
> > I tried downloading the new BIOS and video card drivers, and no luck with
> > that either.

chacho

Re: Missing power management option?
Hi Baker, I have the same problem. Did you find a solution? Please help.

"Baker" wrote:

> I already looked to the left panel, and in advanced options, I've tried
> everything. Neither HP nor this website have an answer to me.
>
> The closest problem similar to mine I can find is that people are finding
> that hibernation is not available in the shut down menu, however I do have
> hibernation available to me there.
>
> I tried downloading the new BIOS and video card drivers, and no luck with
> that either.

AJR

Re: Missing power management option?
I have not been able to "recover" the original post for more information.

However group policy settings can modify access to power options.

Consider using "powercfg.exe" which provides additional settings.
Powercfg uses GUIDs for settings - powercfg-aliases to display supported
GUIDs

Powercfg -L lists the available power plans - powercfg -getactivescheme will
indicate the active power plan (scheme). Also powercfg /? displays detailed
help.

Most options are availabe via Standard user - some require running from an
elevated command prompt.

"chacho" <chacho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Baker, I have the same problem. Did you find a solution? Please help.
>
> "Baker" wrote:
>
>> I already looked to the left panel, and in advanced options, I've tried
>> everything. Neither HP nor this website have an answer to me.
>>
>> The closest problem similar to mine I can find is that people are finding
>> that hibernation is not available in the shut down menu, however I do
>> have
>> hibernation available to me there.
>>
>> I tried downloading the new BIOS and video card drivers, and no luck with
>> that either.

Phildo

RE: Missing power management option?
I'm having the exact same problem with my brand new HP dv2000 Notebook. When
I close the lid on my laptop, the computer stays on. So, by morning, my
battery is dead. I've called HP tech support, but they couldn't fix the
problem. I've even exchanged my machine and the new one is still missing the
power option for "When closing the lid..." I didn't spend $1200 bucks for a
laptop that doesn't work properly, so I will probably get a refund and go
with a different brand, which is too bad, because the rest of the machine
works great! My last hope is to try calling Microsoft tech support.