Cannot Delete A File

Dominic's Momma

Cannot Delete A File
I am having trouble deleting a file. It is not telling me that i cannot
delete, it just won't delete. The recycling box comes up and says its
recyling, but it will do that for hours and will not delete it. I have moved
everything else out of the folder and tried to delete the folder, same thing.
I have tried to shred the file, and it will not shred, says please wait and
will not do anything, but will shred other files in seconds.
Any program that i try to open the file with, stops running.
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Cannot Delete A File
Hello,

what will happen if you try running the cmd.exe as Administrator and delete
the file there by
del Filename
?
If it doesn't work, try killing explorer.exe in the Task Manager and try
deleting the file again by cmd.exe (works for me very often).

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

"Dominic's Momma" <Dominic's Momma@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:E3786343-167E-4041-A8BD-C3E622B55EA7@microsoft.com...
>I am having trouble deleting a file. It is not telling me that i cannot
> delete, it just won't delete. The recycling box comes up and says its
> recyling, but it will do that for hours and will not delete it. I have
> moved
> everything else out of the folder and tried to delete the folder, same
> thing.
> I have tried to shred the file, and it will not shred, says please wait
> and
> will not do anything, but will shred other files in seconds.
> Any program that i try to open the file with, stops running.

Rick Rogers

Re: Cannot Delete A File
It may also help to determine what has a handle open on it, as that is the
most common cause of an inability to delete:
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

When using the command prompt, it helps to elevate by right clicking CMD and
using the option to 'run as administrator' even if the currently logged on
account is of that level (elevation invokes privileges that are not
available otherwise). It may also be more effective to use RD /s /q <dir>
instead of delete.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/