TRUE IMAGE 10/ NORTON GHOST 12 which is better?

aaronep@pacbell.net

TRUE IMAGE 10/ NORTON GHOST 12 which is better?
I need a new imaging program to copy contents from a Windows XP hard
drive to a new HP computer using
Vista Home Edition Premium.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether TRUE IMAGE 10 or NORTON
GHOST 12 is the better program for this use?

best, Aaron

Rock

Re: TRUE IMAGE 10/ NORTON GHOST 12 which is better?
<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote
>I need a new imaging program to copy contents from a Windows XP hard
> drive to a new HP computer using
> Vista Home Edition Premium.
>
> Does anyone have an opinion as to whether TRUE IMAGE 10 or NORTON
> GHOST 12 is the better program for this use?

I use Acronis True Image version 10 in both XP and Vista with no issues. I
haven't used Ghost 12 so I can't comment on it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

f/fgeorge

Re: TRUE IMAGE 10/ NORTON GHOST 12 which is better?
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 19:13:02 -0700, "aaronep@pacbell.net"
<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote:

>I need a new imaging program to copy contents from a Windows XP hard
>drive to a new HP computer using
>Vista Home Edition Premium.
>
>Does anyone have an opinion as to whether TRUE IMAGE 10 or NORTON
>GHOST 12 is the better program for this use?
>
>best, Aaron

Ghost reportedly needs to have the exact same size drive to restore to
as the one that you backed up from. I have not seent hat in the past,
but it is what is being said by some 'experts'.
mikeyhsd

Re: TRUE IMAGE 10/ NORTON GHOST 12 which is better?
you cannot image the drive from XP to Vista without wiping out vista.
you need to use a BACKUP function to backup individual data to the restored to the new computer.

it might be easier to install the xp hard drive in the new computer and copy the data or use an external usb drive enclosure to do the same.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:1182651182.533352.110530@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
I need a new imaging program to copy contents from a Windows XP hard
drive to a new HP computer using
Vista Home Edition Premium.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether TRUE IMAGE 10 or NORTON
GHOST 12 is the better program for this use?

best, Aaron

peter

Re: TRUE IMAGE 10/ NORTON GHOST 12 which is better?
Imaging is like taking a photo of the HD.
If you are aiming to image the XP installation of computer#1 to the HD of
computer#2 you had better be sure they use the exact same
drivers..mobo..video..audio..etc.
If the old used an AMD chipset and the new an Intel chipset as an example
you will get multiple errors on boot....if it actually booted.
This would also void you warranty on the HP.
Maybe tell us what you are aiming to accomplish and we can help in that
regard
peter

<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:1182651182.533352.110530@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
>I need a new imaging program to copy contents from a Windows XP hard
> drive to a new HP computer using
> Vista Home Edition Premium.
>
> Does anyone have an opinion as to whether TRUE IMAGE 10 or NORTON
> GHOST 12 is the better program for this use?
>
> best, Aaron

Neil Harley

f/fgeorge wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 19:13:02 -0700, "aaronep@pacbell.net"
> <aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> I need a new imaging program to copy contents from a Windows XP hard
>> drive to a new HP computer using
>> Vista Home Edition Premium.
>>
>> Does anyone have an opinion as to whether TRUE IMAGE 10 or NORTON
>> GHOST 12 is the better program for this use?
>>
>> best, Aaron

> Ghost reportedly needs to have the exact same size drive to restore to
> as the one that you backed up from. I have not seent hat in the past,
> but it is what is being said by some 'experts'.

That's not correct from my experience (but I only use Ghost to image a
clean OS). I don't worry about incremental backups of the OS partition
and I don't use Ghost 12 from a GUI but Ghost 11 from a bootable CD.
Ken Blake, MVP

<aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I need a new imaging program to copy contents from a Windows XP hard
> drive to a new HP computer using
> Vista Home Edition Premium.
>
> Does anyone have an opinion as to whether TRUE IMAGE 10 or NORTON
> GHOST 12 is the better program for this use?

Although I haven't used Ghost 12, I've used Ghost in earlier versions,
and I greatly prefer Acronis True Image.

Moreover, my experience with Symantec/Norton products over the last
several years has been terrible. I think that they are about the very
worst vendor of software products out there. I wouldn't allow any
Norton products on my computer.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Hertz_Donut

"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 19:13:02 -0700, "aaronep@pacbell.net"
> <aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>>I need a new imaging program to copy contents from a Windows XP hard
>>drive to a new HP computer using
>>Vista Home Edition Premium.
>>
>>Does anyone have an opinion as to whether TRUE IMAGE 10 or NORTON
>>GHOST 12 is the better program for this use?
>>
>>best, Aaron

> Ghost reportedly needs to have the exact same size drive to restore to
> as the one that you backed up from.

This is completely wrong.

I have not seent hat in the past,
> but it is what is being said by some 'experts'.

Chris Blunt

Re: TRUE IMAGE 10/ NORTON GHOST 12 which is better?
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 22:46:36 -1000, "Hertz_Donut"
<somewhere@outthere.com> wrote:

>"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
>news:haks73t7clrr6l1g7j8o27epe3bvoctite@4ax.com.. .
>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 19:13:02 -0700, "aaronep@pacbell.net"
>> <aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I need a new imaging program to copy contents from a Windows XP hard
>>>drive to a new HP computer using
>>>Vista Home Edition Premium.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have an opinion as to whether TRUE IMAGE 10 or NORTON
>>>GHOST 12 is the better program for this use?
>>>
>>>best, Aaron

>> Ghost reportedly needs to have the exact same size drive to restore to
>> as the one that you backed up from.

>This is completely wrong.

I think so too. I've used Ghost a couple of times to restore to a
larger disk when "upgrading" to a larger one. I admit this was with
Ghost 10, and I haven't tried doing it with Ghost 12, but I think it
unlikely not to be possible with the latest version.

Chris
Aaron

RE: TRUE IMAGE 10/ NORTON GHOST 12 which is better?
(From another Aaron)

Beware of Ghost -- from personal, anecdotal experience)

1. Norton Tech Support for Ghost is terrible.

My experience

2. After an XP operating system failure, I used a Ghost 10 Restore
(following all directions carefully, having been through years of building up
problem solving experience and knowledge).

Upon doing the Ghost Restore, a cascade of problems started that led to a
destroyed hard drive. The drive became unrecognizable. Since it was only 3
months old, a faulty drive seemed unlikely.

Trying to get help from Norton was a nightmare. Their Tech Support is among
the worst I've ever experienced.

Norton denied that a Ghost Restore could destroy my hard drive. But since
I'm tech savvy enough to know about HDD recovery, boot system issues, and
fixing damaged operating system -- it was evident that Ghost had played a
role.

Norton Tech Support (from India, it sounded like) was arrogant,
unresponsive, dishonest...

In researching all fixed imaginable, I discovered through Google searches
gobs more info about Ghost issues that Norton's scanty knowledge base
discussed.

3. As a longtime Norton user, I decided to try Ghost once more after I got a
new PC with Vista. But I discovered that the company's once laudable customer
service and tech support has disintegrated.

My Ghost 10 program was only 4 months old. I discovered it was not Vista
compatible. And here's where the story ends:

v12 came out one month after I purchased v10. BUT I would have to pay full
price for new version. Norton had no upgrade policy, and refused to listen
to logic:
- one buys software
- a new version comes out shortly thereafter
- companies with integrity usually offer a free upgrade or, minimally, a
low-cost upgrade.

Once again, Norton was arrogant, Tech support -- chat online and by phone --
could not understand English.

4. My new Vista came installed with a trial of McAfee. Having used Norton
Security for years, always bemoaning how much it slowed my computer, McAfee
(although having some quirks I'm not fond of) works like a whizz. And their
tech support is excellent.

Conclusion:

I'm through with Norton. In my research, I learned of enough issues about
Ghost to convince me that the program can be a risk.

In researching an alternative -- especially since Vista backup has been
dumbed down (in Home Premium) -- I've found fairly unanimous praise of True
Image. And I will be going that route.

(another) Aaron