Internet 3 seconds delay for each link

Rej

Internet 3 seconds delay for each link
Hi all, hope this is the correct spot for posting this

I've recently installed Vista on my computer and found that the Internet has
issues that I never had with XP (still have it on another partition).

the main problem is that in order to connect to a web site for the first
time (for each sessions), I have a 3 second delay... so for example,
starting up IE or FireFox to connect to my homepage (google.ca), I see the
'connecting to google.ca' status for 3 seconds and THEN I see the page.
From there, navigating to any other site has the same issue.. and it's worst
if there are sites that have lots of different sources (gamespot.com,
msnbc.com etc).

To test this, I've tested the performance at http://performance.toast.net/

The first time I test it (the F-16 jets), I get 4.8 seconds, but the second
time it takes 1.8 seconds... if I then browse back to google.ca and go back
to toast.net and redo the test, I'm back to 4.8 for the first test and 1.8
for the subsequent tests (until I leave the site to another one then come
back to it).

Downloading speeds are great once they're started (same as XP) but this
navigation delay is very annoying to say the least...

I've tried to minimize the services/autostart programs to try to optimize my
setup, disabled IPv6 as well, same results.

Also tried to start with 0 startup apps, same results as well..

Anyone has any idea on how this can be fixed?

Thx in advance....

Rej

mikeyhsd

Re: Internet 3 seconds delay for each link
try turning off the phishing filter.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Rej" <rejeangrNOSPAM@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:OmOQxWStHHA.4612@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
Hi all, hope this is the correct spot for posting this

I've recently installed Vista on my computer and found that the Internet has
issues that I never had with XP (still have it on another partition).

the main problem is that in order to connect to a web site for the first
time (for each sessions), I have a 3 second delay... so for example,
starting up IE or FireFox to connect to my homepage (google.ca), I see the
'connecting to google.ca' status for 3 seconds and THEN I see the page.
From there, navigating to any other site has the same issue.. and it's worst
[...]

tried that, as well as the security option in IE7.

Note that the problem exists with both browsers (Firefox and IE7).

I've also tried configuring my network card (send buffers, ack settings
etc.. tried both the defaults and the fastests settings - the ones I'm using
in XP) with no changes.

Other things I've tried is change my connection config to exclude everything
except ipv4, MS client -- so bare minimum without much change (bit faster
bare boned but still the 3 second delay) and then tried to reactivate them
one by one to see the results.

So far I've tried everythign I can think of except getting my network card
drivers (if there are others than the default ones).. something I'll be
trying soon.
--
Rej

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> try turning off the phishing filter.
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "Rej" <rejeangrNOSPAM@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:OmOQxWStHHA.4612@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi all, hope this is the correct spot for posting this
>
> I've recently installed Vista on my computer and found that the Internet has
> issues that I never had with XP (still have it on another partition).
>
> the main problem is that in order to connect to a web site for the first
> time (for each sessions), I have a 3 second delay... so for example,
> starting up IE or FireFox to connect to my homepage (google.ca), I see the
> 'connecting to google.ca' status for 3 seconds and THEN I see the page.
> From there, navigating to any other site has the same issue.. and it's worst
> if there are sites that have lots of different sources (gamespot.com,
> msnbc.com etc).
>
> To test this, I've tested the performance at http://performance.toast.net/
>
> The first time I test it (the F-16 jets), I get 4.8 seconds, but the second
> time it takes 1.8 seconds... if I then browse back to google.ca and go back
> to toast.net and redo the test, I'm back to 4.8 for the first test and 1.8
> for the subsequent tests (until I leave the site to another one then come
> back to it).
>
> Downloading speeds are great once they're started (same as XP) but this
> navigation delay is very annoying to say the least...
>
> I've tried to minimize the services/autostart programs to try to optimize my
> setup, disabled IPv6 as well, same results.
>
> Also tried to start with 0 startup apps, same results as well..
>
> Anyone has any idea on how this can be fixed?
>
> Thx in advance....
>
> Rej

Rej

Re: Internet 3 seconds delay for each link
Found out what the problem was (sort of)... my antivirus was the culprit...
even though I thought I had stopped it, it seems that another part of its
software was doing things everytime I was trying to connect.

Sorry for the bother and cheers

Rej