Disk Cleanup effectiveness

Mike Seid

Disk Cleanup effectiveness
Is the Disk Cleanup program supposed to empty the C:\Windows\Temp folder? I
have run Disk Cleanup a few times already and the above Temp folder is
packed full with files . . . some as far back as November of 2006. Can I
delete these? (What are *.htp files and lpksetup.log files?)

Bob H

RE: Disk Cleanup effectiveness
Firstly I'd like to echo that question. On my system I also find the Disk
Cleanup fails to empty my C:\Users\$Username\Appdata\Local\Temp folder. Does
it actually do anything when it says it is emptying the Temp files folder.

Secondly, in reply I have routinely emptied both of these folders just
before I defrag the disk, and have no problems at all. So suggest to Mike
that its OK to delete these.

Bob,

"Mike Seid" wrote:

> Is the Disk Cleanup program supposed to empty the C:\Windows\Temp folder? I
> have run Disk Cleanup a few times already and the above Temp folder is
> packed full with files . . . some as far back as November of 2006. Can I
> delete these? (What are *.htp files and lpksetup.log files?)

Rick Rogers

Re: Disk Cleanup effectiveness
Hi,

It is ok to delete them, any that are currently in use will not be allowed
to be deleted (you'll get an error). As to the Disk Cleanup tool, it's been
my experience and understanding that it only affects the user-defined temp
folder, not the system one.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bob H" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Firstly I'd like to echo that question. On my system I also find the Disk
> Cleanup fails to empty my C:\Users\$Username\Appdata\Local\Temp folder.
> Does
> it actually do anything when it says it is emptying the Temp files folder.
>
> Secondly, in reply I have routinely emptied both of these folders just
> before I defrag the disk, and have no problems at all. So suggest to Mike
> that its OK to delete these.
>
> Bob,
>

> "Mike Seid" wrote:
>
>> Is the Disk Cleanup program supposed to empty the C:\Windows\Temp folder?
>> have run Disk Cleanup a few times already and the above Temp folder is
>> packed full with files . . . some as far back as November of 2006. Can I
>> delete these? (What are *.htp files and lpksetup.log files?)

AJR

Re: Disk Cleanup effectiveness
Both XP and Vista do not immediately send specific deleted or unused files
to the Recycle Bin under the assumption you may want to use the files at a
later date. Consequently there is a delay of approx one - two weeks (sorry
do not remember exact time) before those files are "sent" to the Recycle
Bin.

"Bob H" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Firstly I'd like to echo that question. On my system I also find the Disk
> Cleanup fails to empty my C:\Users\$Username\Appdata\Local\Temp folder.
> Does
> it actually do anything when it says it is emptying the Temp files folder.
>
> Secondly, in reply I have routinely emptied both of these folders just
> before I defrag the disk, and have no problems at all. So suggest to Mike
> that its OK to delete these.
>
> Bob,
>

> "Mike Seid" wrote:
>
>> Is the Disk Cleanup program supposed to empty the C:\Windows\Temp folder?
>> have run Disk Cleanup a few times already and the above Temp folder is
>> packed full with files . . . some as far back as November of 2006. Can I
>> delete these? (What are *.htp files and lpksetup.log files?)

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Disk Cleanup effectiveness
Hi Bob,

>> it actually do anything when it says it is emptying the Temp files folder.

It's probably because Disk Cleanup deletes temporary files that have not been accessed in the last 7 days. See also:

Alter the "LastAccess" value for cleaning the Temporary files using Disk Cleanup utility:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cleantemp.htm
(Applies to Windows Vista as well)

--
Regards,

"Mike Seid" wrote:

> Is the Disk Cleanup program supposed to empty the C:\Windows\Temp folder? I
> have run Disk Cleanup a few times already and the above Temp folder is
> packed full with files . . . some as far back as November of 2006. Can I
> delete these? (What are *.htp files and lpksetup.log files?)

Bob H

Re: Disk Cleanup effectiveness
Ramesh,

Thanks for that - just applied the Registry change (I set it to 2 days as a
compromise).

Bob,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> >> it actually do anything when it says it is emptying the Temp files folder.

> It's probably because Disk Cleanup deletes temporary files that have not been accessed in the last 7 days. See also:
>
> Alter the "LastAccess" value for cleaning the Temporary files using Disk Cleanup utility:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cleantemp.htm
> (Applies to Windows Vista as well)
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Bob H" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0650B0EE-8B53-4281-A75E-F19550EF6792@microsoft.com...
> Firstly I'd like to echo that question. On my system I also find the Disk
> Cleanup fails to empty my C:\Users\$Username\Appdata\Local\Temp folder. Does
> it actually do anything when it says it is emptying the Temp files folder.
>
> Secondly, in reply I have routinely emptied both of these folders just
> before I defrag the disk, and have no problems at all. So suggest to Mike
> that its OK to delete these.
>
> Bob,
>

> "Mike Seid" wrote:
>
> > Is the Disk Cleanup program supposed to empty the C:\Windows\Temp folder? I
> > have run Disk Cleanup a few times already and the above Temp folder is
> > packed full with files . . . some as far back as November of 2006. Can I
> > delete these? (What are *.htp files and lpksetup.log files?)

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Disk Cleanup effectiveness
You're welcome Bob.

>> I set it to 2 days as a compromise

I set it to 1 in my systems.

--
Regards,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> >> it actually do anything when it says it is emptying the Temp files folder.

> It's probably because Disk Cleanup deletes temporary files that have not been accessed in the last 7 days. See also:
>
> Alter the "LastAccess" value for cleaning the Temporary files using Disk Cleanup utility:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cleantemp.htm
> (Applies to Windows Vista as well)
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Bob H" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0650B0EE-8B53-4281-A75E-F19550EF6792@microsoft.com...
> Firstly I'd like to echo that question. On my system I also find the Disk
> Cleanup fails to empty my C:\Users\$Username\Appdata\Local\Temp folder. Does
> it actually do anything when it says it is emptying the Temp files folder.
>
> Secondly, in reply I have routinely emptied both of these folders just
> before I defrag the disk, and have no problems at all. So suggest to Mike
> that its OK to delete these.
>
> Bob,
>

> "Mike Seid" wrote:
>
> > Is the Disk Cleanup program supposed to empty the C:\Windows\Temp folder? I
> > have run Disk Cleanup a few times already and the above Temp folder is
> > packed full with files . . . some as far back as November of 2006. Can I
> > delete these? (What are *.htp files and lpksetup.log files?)

Ikenhooer

Re: Disk Cleanup effectiveness
As a side note to all the responses. if you run " Lpremove /C " (without the
quotation marks) from the Start button then Run Command Dialog Box, It will
prevent all those Lpksetup.log files from appearing in the Windows\Temp
directory. Although you will have to remove the ones there now manually.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> You're welcome Bob.
>
> >> I set it to 2 days as a compromise

> I set it to 1 in my systems.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Bob H" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:003F0B46-4AB0-437C-B2D7-D401A2A656E9@microsoft.com...
> Ramesh,
>
> Thanks for that - just applied the Registry change (I set it to 2 days as a
> compromise).
>
> Bob,
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Hi Bob,

> > It's probably because Disk Cleanup deletes temporary files that have not been accessed in the last 7 days. See also:
> >
> > Alter the "LastAccess" value for cleaning the Temporary files using Disk Cleanup utility:
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cleantemp.htm
> > (Applies to Windows Vista as well)
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "Bob H" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0650B0EE-8B53-4281-A75E-F19550EF6792@microsoft.com...
> > Firstly I'd like to echo that question. On my system I also find the Disk
> > Cleanup fails to empty my C:\Users\$Username\Appdata\Local\Temp folder. Does
> > it actually do anything when it says it is emptying the Temp files folder.
> >
> > Secondly, in reply I have routinely emptied both of these folders just
> > before I defrag the disk, and have no problems at all. So suggest to Mike
> > that its OK to delete these.
> >
> > Bob,
> >

> > "Mike Seid" wrote:
> >
> > > Is the Disk Cleanup program supposed to empty the C:\Windows\Temp folder? I
> > > have run Disk Cleanup a few times already and the above Temp folder is
> > > packed full with files . . . some as far back as November of 2006. Can I
> > > delete these? (What are *.htp files and lpksetup.log files?)

Bob H

Re: Disk Cleanup effectiveness
Will this have any side-effects?

Presume that these log files are created for a purpose - but I've been
unable to find much about them searching this site. What benefit do they
actually provide.

"Ikenhooer" wrote:

> As a side note to all the responses. if you run " Lpremove /C " (without the
> quotation marks) from the Start button then Run Command Dialog Box, It will
> prevent all those Lpksetup.log files from appearing in the Windows\Temp
> directory. Although you will have to remove the ones there now manually.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > You're welcome Bob.

> > I set it to 1 in my systems.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "Bob H" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:003F0B46-4AB0-437C-B2D7-D401A2A656E9@microsoft.com...
> > Ramesh,
> >
> > Thanks for that - just applied the Registry change (I set it to 2 days as a
> > compromise).
> >
> > Bob,
> >

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Bob,

> > > It's probably because Disk Cleanup deletes temporary files that have not been accessed in the last 7 days. See also:
> > >
> > > Alter the "LastAccess" value for cleaning the Temporary files using Disk Cleanup utility:
> > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/cleantemp.htm
> > > (Applies to Windows Vista as well)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> > >

> > > "Bob H" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0650B0EE-8B53-4281-A75E-F19550EF6792@microsoft.com...
> > > Firstly I'd like to echo that question. On my system I also find the Disk
> > > Cleanup fails to empty my C:\Users\$Username\Appdata\Local\Temp folder. Does
> > > it actually do anything when it says it is emptying the Temp files folder.
> > >
> > > Secondly, in reply I have routinely emptied both of these folders just
> > > before I defrag the disk, and have no problems at all. So suggest to Mike
> > > that its OK to delete these.
> > >
> > > Bob,

Ikenhooer

Re: Disk Cleanup effectiveness
I'm not sure why they are created at each boot. It may be a bug in Vista
where the /C paramater wasn't included. I didn't have any adverse effects
when I deleted them. Usually what ends up in the Windows\Temp directory is
stuff left over from Program installations, Driver installations, etc. I
basically like to keep my computer as junk free as possible so whenever I
find something in the Temp directory I delete it.