"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

SapperPest19

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have gotten this error after installing several different programs
so I can only assume the problem is with Vista Home Premium.

Here's one example of the problem that confuses me. I recently bought
a Garmin GPS. The setup CD had a program called nRoute. I installed it
from the CD. The last step of the install gave me the option to run
the app. I checked the box and nRoute worked fine. After ending the
program, trying to restart the program gives the error. I could
re-install it from the CD and run it fine. But running it by clicking
on the shortcut produces the error. I downloaded the most current
version of nRoute from the Garmin website and the same thing happened.
It runs fine from the installation but not using the shortcut.

I've tried searching for a solution but the only solutions I could
find were for XP or Vista Business. I have an HP Pavillion dv922us
running Vista Home Premium with 2GB of ram. I'm not sure what other
information might be relevant.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone might be able to provide.
Malke

Re: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it inan unusual way."
SapperPest19 wrote:
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>
> Runtime Error!
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
> unusual way.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I have gotten this error after installing several different programs
> so I can only assume the problem is with Vista Home Premium.
>
> Here's one example of the problem that confuses me. I recently bought
> a Garmin GPS. The setup CD had a program called nRoute. I installed it
> from the CD. The last step of the install gave me the option to run
> the app. I checked the box and nRoute worked fine. After ending the
> program, trying to restart the program gives the error. I could
> re-install it from the CD and run it fine. But running it by clicking
> on the shortcut produces the error. I downloaded the most current
> version of nRoute from the Garmin website and the same thing happened.
> It runs fine from the installation but not using the shortcut.
>
> I've tried searching for a solution but the only solutions I could
> find were for XP or Vista Business. I have an HP Pavillion dv922us
> running Vista Home Premium with 2GB of ram. I'm not sure what other
> information might be relevant.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone might be able to provide.

The problem is not with Vista per se as you are assuming but rather with
the programs you are installing. It sounds as though they are not
compatible with Vista. Contact the programs' respective tech support
people to 1) find out if each program is really Vista-compatible; 2) and
if not what their solution is. There may be newer versions of the
programs, patches, workarounds, etc.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
SapperPest19

Re: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:08:27 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>SapperPest19 wrote:
>> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>>
>> Runtime Error!
>>
>> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
>> unusual way.
>> Please contact the application's support team for more information.
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> I have gotten this error after installing several different programs
>> so I can only assume the problem is with Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> Here's one example of the problem that confuses me. I recently bought
>> a Garmin GPS. The setup CD had a program called nRoute. I installed it
>> from the CD. The last step of the install gave me the option to run
>> the app. I checked the box and nRoute worked fine. After ending the
>> program, trying to restart the program gives the error. I could
>> re-install it from the CD and run it fine. But running it by clicking
>> on the shortcut produces the error. I downloaded the most current
>> version of nRoute from the Garmin website and the same thing happened.
>> It runs fine from the installation but not using the shortcut.
>>
>> I've tried searching for a solution but the only solutions I could
>> find were for XP or Vista Business. I have an HP Pavillion dv922us
>> running Vista Home Premium with 2GB of ram. I'm not sure what other
>> information might be relevant.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone might be able to provide.

>The problem is not with Vista per se as you are assuming but rather with
>the programs you are installing. It sounds as though they are not
>compatible with Vista. Contact the programs' respective tech support
>people to 1) find out if each program is really Vista-compatible; 2) and
>if not what their solution is. There may be newer versions of the
>programs, patches, workarounds, etc.
>

>Malke

Well, after looking on the website, nRoute does not list vista under
requirements but will run after the install. It will not run using the
shortcut. However, it will run in safe mode using the shortcut.
Another example is CyberLink PowerDirector. I was looking at the "Try
Free" version and it does list vista in the requirements.

SapperPest19 wrote:

> Well, after looking on the website, nRoute does not list vista under
> requirements but will run after the install. It will not run using the
> shortcut. However, it will run in safe mode using the shortcut.
> Another example is CyberLink PowerDirector. I was looking at the "Try
> Free" version and it does list vista in the requirements.

This doesn't really change my answer. If nRoute doesn't list Vista, then
it isn't truly Vista-compatible. You could try running the program in
compatibility mode or as Administrator. Look in Vista's Help for both
those terms for more details. Or contact the nRoute tech support people
for your problem with their software.

If the PowerDirector site says their software works with Vista and you
are having problems, I would make their tech support my first stop. As I
said in my first post to you, the program's tech support will know if
there are issues, workarounds, patches, etc. If you get no useful
response from them, then look into compatibility mode/run as Administrator.

Malke

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:09:54 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>SapperPest19 wrote:
>

>> Well, after looking on the website, nRoute does not list vista under
>> requirements but will run after the install. It will not run using the
>> shortcut. However, it will run in safe mode using the shortcut.
>> Another example is CyberLink PowerDirector. I was looking at the "Try
>> Free" version and it does list vista in the requirements.

>This doesn't really change my answer. If nRoute doesn't list Vista, then
>it isn't truly Vista-compatible. You could try running the program in
>compatibility mode or as Administrator. Look in Vista's Help for both
>those terms for more details. Or contact the nRoute tech support people
>for your problem with their software.
>
>If the PowerDirector site says their software works with Vista and you
>are having problems, I would make their tech support my first stop. As I
>said in my first post to you, the program's tech support will know if
>there are issues, workarounds, patches, etc. If you get no useful
>response from them, then look into compatibility mode/run as Administrator.
>

>Malke

First of all...thanks for taking the time to respond. I called Garmin.
During the conversation, I said something about comparability mode.
The guy said the version of software I am running was actually written
for vista. He also suggested running it in admin mode and that solved
the problem. He said that there are some issues with vista's security
that have to be worked out. I tried the other program in admin mode
and that solved that problem as well. Is there any way to set up those
programs to always run as admin by double-clicking instead of having
to rt click and choose it?

SapperPest19 wrote:

> First of all...thanks for taking the time to respond. I called Garmin.
> During the conversation, I said something about comparability mode.
> The guy said the version of software I am running was actually written
> for vista. He also suggested running it in admin mode and that solved
> the problem. He said that there are some issues with vista's security
> that have to be worked out. I tried the other program in admin mode
> and that solved that problem as well. Is there any way to set up those
> programs to always run as admin by double-clicking instead of having
> to rt click and choose it?

Cool. Thanks for letting us know how you solved it. Here's a link to an
article at howtogeek.com "Always Start an Application in Administrator
Mode on Windows Vista":

http://tinyurl.com/2fdbn2

And here's an excellent explanation of the UAC feature by MVP Jimmy Brush:

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/security/uac.aspx

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Leles

Re: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

doesen't happen only with Vista...i have the same problem with XP and a
MapSource from Garmin too...
any idea?

--
Leles
Leles's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/leles.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

gimme

Re: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

>> Runtime Error!
>>
>> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
>> unusual way.
>> Please contact the application's support team for more information.

k now here is the money shot, I get the same runtime message when my
laptop comes out of hibernation and when i right click on the desktop to
bring up properties, seems that explorer itself is the problem here.
It all started when i installed my logitech mouse software, i have
removed the software in an attempt to fix the problem.
It persists and i am not too sure on how to re install vista on my pc
when it came pre loaded.
what should i do?

--
gimme