Startup congestion

Richard Urban

Startup congestion
I was working on a computer the other day that had all sorts of problems
when once the desktop was reached. The fellow had many background programs
running and he did not want to eliminate any of them. The CPU usage stayed
at 100% for about 3 minutes after the desktop was reached and there were a
lot of problems with his applications updating, starting and running
correctly. For 3-4 minutes nothing could be done on his computer. He had to
shutdown some background programs and then restart them again to get them to
run correctly (example - his weather program).

I was able to solve his problem, and still allow him to have his cake *and
eat it too*

I remembered a little free program called WinPatrol. One of the features of
this program is it's "Delayed Start" module. I went through all of his start
up apps and removed the auto start option from within each individual
program. I then added these programs to WinPatrol's Delayed Start module,
starting at a 30 second delay. I set each of the intensive programs to start
at a 30 second interval from the previous program.

The end result was that all of the startup problems he was experiencing were
gone!

An unexpected result was that the system actually stabilized more quickly
which allowed the system to be used in a more timely fashion.

He is a happy camper!

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Lang Murphy

Re: Startup congestion
>I was working on a computer the other day that had all sorts of problems
>when once the desktop was reached. The fellow had many background programs
>running and he did not want to eliminate any of them. The CPU usage stayed
>at 100% for about 3 minutes after the desktop was reached and there were a
>lot of problems with his applications updating, starting and running
>correctly. For 3-4 minutes nothing could be done on his computer. He had to
>shutdown some background programs and then restart them again to get them
>to run correctly (example - his weather program).
>
> I was able to solve his problem, and still allow him to have his cake *and
> eat it too*
>
> I remembered a little free program called WinPatrol. One of the features
> of this program is it's "Delayed Start" module. I went through all of his
> start up apps and removed the auto start option from within each
> individual program. I then added these programs to WinPatrol's Delayed
> Start module, starting at a 30 second delay. I set each of the intensive
> programs to start at a 30 second interval from the previous program.
>
> The end result was that all of the startup problems he was experiencing
> were gone!
>
> An unexpected result was that the system actually stabilized more quickly
> which allowed the system to be used in a more timely fashion.
>
> He is a happy camper!
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban