Slow Downloads

Fred

Slow Downloads
tested download speed is about 200KBPS. Have had AT&T check modem, router
and line and I am getting 3 meg. Have booted with a Linux CD and tested
speed wit 2.45 meg - all on same computer. Reset Internet browser, booted in
clean boot, turned off firewalls but still no change to download speed. Have
talked with internet provider, AT&T, for many hours with no solution yet.
Any ideas
--
Thanks from Fred
Mac

Re: Slow Downloads
IE7? Have you tried with Firefox? What Vista version, and which services do
you have running?

Have you tested with this site? www.speedtest.net

"Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> tested download speed is about 200KBPS. Have had AT&T check modem, router
> and line and I am getting 3 meg. Have booted with a Linux CD and tested
> speed wit 2.45 meg - all on same computer. Reset Internet browser, booted
> in
> clean boot, turned off firewalls but still no change to download speed.
> Have
> talked with internet provider, AT&T, for many hours with no solution yet.
> Any ideas
> --
> Thanks from Fred

brink

Re: Slow Downloads

Hi Fred,

Since you have a router, you might go to this link below for details to
see if its Auto Tuning causing the problem.

'http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72308-auto-tuning-tcp-ip-receive-level.html'
(http://tinyurl.com/24j8fq)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
miss-information

Re: Slow Downloads

> "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> tested download speed is about 200KBPS. Have had AT&T check modem,
>> router
>> and line and I am getting 3 meg. Have booted with a Linux CD and tested
>> speed wit 2.45 meg - all on same computer. Reset Internet browser,
>> booted in
>> clean boot, turned off firewalls but still no change to download speed.
>> Have
>> talked with internet provider, AT&T, for many hours with no solution yet.
>> Any ideas
>> --
>> Thanks from Fred

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=word:00000010
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000010

mi

miss-information

Re: Slow Downloads

> "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> tested download speed is about 200KBPS. Have had AT&T check modem,
>> router
>> and line and I am getting 3 meg. Have booted with a Linux CD and tested
>> speed wit 2.45 meg - all on same computer. Reset Internet browser,
>> booted in
>> clean boot, turned off firewalls but still no change to download speed.
>> Have
>> talked with internet provider, AT&T, for many hours with no solution yet.
>> Any ideas
>> --
>> Thanks from Fred

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000010
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000010

mi

Mac

Re: Slow Downloads
I don't have that entry. Are you suggesting the OP add it?

"miss-information" <invalid@invalid.net> wrote in message

>> "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> tested download speed is about 200KBPS. Have had AT&T check modem,
>>> router
>>> and line and I am getting 3 meg. Have booted with a Linux CD and tested
>>> speed wit 2.45 meg - all on same computer. Reset Internet browser,
>>> booted in
>>> clean boot, turned off firewalls but still no change to download speed.
>>> Have
>>> talked with internet provider, AT&T, for many hours with no solution
>>> yet.
>>> Any ideas
>>> --
>>> Thanks from Fred

> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
> Settings]
> "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000010
> "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000010
>
> mi

Fred

Re: Slow Downloads
Thanks everyone for the help. I have been able to solve the problem since
posting the help request. I worked with a Microsoft (yes from India)
Technician who tried all the usual tricks with no change. The Vista check of
my drivers indicated I was up to date, however, he suspected that my Ethernet
driver was out of date. After uninstalling and reinstalling with no effect,
he went to the HP web site and found a new driver. After downloading and
installing the new dirver my download speed jumped to 2.5 meg. I turned on
all of the features, firewall and programs and the speed was still at 2.5
meg. Issue resolved. I guess my lession here is that I cannot just depend
on what Windows says is okay regarding drivers on older hardward. Thanks
again for all the responses.
Bye
--
Thanks from Fred

"brink" wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> Since you have a router, you might go to this link below for details to
> see if its Auto Tuning causing the problem.
>
> 'http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72308-auto-tuning-tcp-ip-receive-level.html'
> (http://tinyurl.com/24j8fq)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others.

brink

Re: Slow Downloads

Glad to hear Fred.

Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Xenomorph

Re: Slow Downloads
you're hacked.

turn off the computer and go to bed.

"Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> tested download speed is about 200KBPS. Have had AT&T check modem, router
> and line and I am getting 3 meg. Have booted with a Linux CD and tested
> speed wit 2.45 meg - all on same computer. Reset Internet browser, booted
> in
> clean boot, turned off firewalls but still no change to download speed.
> Have
> talked with internet provider, AT&T, for many hours with no solution yet.
> Any ideas
> --
> Thanks from Fred

Rock

Re: Slow Downloads
"Fred" wrote
> Thanks everyone for the help. I have been able to solve the problem since
> posting the help request. I worked with a Microsoft (yes from India)
> Technician who tried all the usual tricks with no change. The Vista check
> of
> my drivers indicated I was up to date, however, he suspected that my
> Ethernet
> driver was out of date. After uninstalling and reinstalling with no
> effect,
> he went to the HP web site and found a new driver. After downloading and
> installing the new dirver my download speed jumped to 2.5 meg. I turned
> on
> all of the features, firewall and programs and the speed was still at 2.5
> meg. Issue resolved. I guess my lession here is that I cannot just
> depend
> on what Windows says is okay regarding drivers on older hardward. Thanks
> again for all the responses.

You should always go to the hardware manufacturer's web site to look for
drivers.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]