This Copy of Windows is not genuine

PT Myers

This Copy of Windows is not genuine
I purchased my copy from Best Buy the second week it was released and all
has been well until about 3 weeks ago. I started getting error messages that
my copy was not genuine. In the lower right corner of the screen it stated:

Windows Vista (TM)
Build 6000
This copy of Windows is not genuine,

One of the error messages is that "Windows Aero is not working" forgot what
the other was.

I have followed the links with the error message and have followed the
instructions reactivated my Windows Vista Ultimate twice now to no avail.
The computer properties says that the copy is activated, but, when I go to
revalidate the windows I get the not genuine message again. Thought about
calling customer service but, they want $60 to tell me what is wrong with
their soft ware. That and I saw on one message board that the individual
that had called in had been told to purchase another copy and that would fix
the issue. That response does not sit well with me.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

PT

beto666

Re: This Copy of Windows is not genuine

R u sure they sold you a "Genuine", not cracked copy of Vista? This is
very odd! And the talking into buying another copy to fix the first
sounds like bull to me.

--
beto666
PT Myers

Re: This Copy of Windows is not genuine
I seriously doubt that Best Buy would sell cracked copies even if they were
able to produce them within 2 weeks of release. As for the individual that
indicated that he was told to re-purchase, I would not be supprised at
anything Microsoft did.

Thanks

PT
"beto666" <beto666.2r7r05@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> R u sure they sold you a "Genuine", not cracked copy of Vista? This is
> very odd! And the talking into buying another copy to fix the first
> sounds like bull to me.
>

> --
> beto666

Robert Moir

"PT Myers" <ptmyers01@hughes.net> wrote in message
>I seriously doubt that Best Buy would sell cracked copies even if they were
>able to produce them within 2 weeks of release. As for the individual that
>indicated that he was told to re-purchase, I would not be supprised at
>anything Microsoft did.

As bad as Microsoft's current obsession with WGA / Activation is, they're
not going around telling people to reactivate off the back of one little
problem. I suspect that the author of the post you read was either full of
it or leaving some very important parts of the story out.

Moving on to your actual problem, if you trawl around these groups for a
while you'll see some recent reports from people who have had activation
issues after installing some new drivers for various nVidia products. Could
this also be describing you, do you think?

PT Myers

Re: This Copy of Windows is not genuine
I don't know. I can't really associate anything with the not genuie message.
Would the auto update actually download and install an N Vida driver with no
info to the administrator? I have also tried the Start/Search and typed in
slui 4 to get the opportunity to do a phone re-activation and could not find
the "2" icons that are supposed to be listed with a program. Don't know if
someone is pulling my leg or if I am missing something.

As far as the guy being full of anything, well lets just say my glass if
half full. I see no reason for anyone to enter a group and just tell a flat
lie. Either ways it's his monster, he will have to deal with.

Thanks for the input.

PT

"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "PT Myers" <ptmyers01@hughes.net> wrote in message
>>I seriously doubt that Best Buy would sell cracked copies even if they
>>were able to produce them within 2 weeks of release. As for the individual
>>that indicated that he was told to re-purchase, I would not be supprised
>>at anything Microsoft did.

> As bad as Microsoft's current obsession with WGA / Activation is, they're
> not going around telling people to reactivate off the back of one little
> problem. I suspect that the author of the post you read was either full of
> it or leaving some very important parts of the story out.
>
> Moving on to your actual problem, if you trawl around these groups for a
> while you'll see some recent reports from people who have had activation
> issues after installing some new drivers for various nVidia products.
> Could this also be describing you, do you think?

_Snake_

Re: This Copy of Windows is not genuine

I am having the same problem as of yesterday. However, my story is a bit
different.

I got a virus few days ago, and yesterday I ran a full system scan (in
dos) before booting the windows (vista). After the scan finished &
infected files were deleted, Windows Vista booted and as it was doing so
some screen popped up displaying the pros/advantages of getting a
genuine copy of windows. Anyways, when I got to the desktop, it showed
the exact same message in the bottom right corner, as the thread starter
had mentioned:
http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?i...genuineek0.jpg

Windows Vista came (already installed) with my Sony Vaio, which I
bought some time last summer (before June). And if you think I am making
this up (or if my copy really is ungenuine), I can take a picture of the
MS-Vista / Sony chip/card embedded beneath my laptop (proof of license),
and post it here (of course, with the product key blackened out).

So.. does anyone know how to fix this issue?

--
_Snake_
michael56555

Re: This Copy of Windows is not genuine
Not sure what this post is about since the first post in this thread doesn't
have copy, however I can guess since I had the issue last night after trying
to install the Windows update KB950582. It downloaded, restarted tried to
install, shut down, said it was "improperly configured" and tried to roll
back. Rebooted and got the "Windows not genuine" screen.

Boot to safe mode and you can get in to your restore point. Restoring
brought things back to normal. Rebooting from last known good configuration
did not work.

Still haven't figured out how to install the update.

"_Snake_" wrote:

> I am having the same problem as of yesterday. However, my story is a bit
> different.
>
> I got a virus few days ago, and yesterday I ran a full system scan (in
> dos) before booting the windows (vista). After the scan finished &
> infected files were deleted, Windows Vista booted and as it was doing so
> some screen popped up displaying the pros/advantages of getting a
> genuine copy of windows. Anyways, when I got to the desktop, it showed
> the exact same message in the bottom right corner, as the thread starter
> had mentioned:
> http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?i...genuineek0.jpg
>
> Windows Vista came (already installed) with my Sony Vaio, which I
> bought some time last summer (before June). And if you think I am making
> this up (or if my copy really is ungenuine), I can take a picture of the
> MS-Vista / Sony chip/card embedded beneath my laptop (proof of license),
> and post it here (of course, with the product key blackened out).
>
> So.. does anyone know how to fix this issue?
>

> --
> _Snake_

DL

Re: This Copy of Windows is not genuine
And what does Sony say? its their version of Vista on their hw