External Hard Drive

Ryka

External Hard Drive
I would like to purchase an external hard drive to use for Vista Back
Ups. Several people have recommended Western Digital, but I'm not sure what
model I should get. How many GB do I need? Do I need USB 2.0 and/or Foxwire?
What will work well with Vista Home Premium and be easy to use (I've never
used an external HDD previously)? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Cal Bear '66

Re: External Hard Drive
Firewire

"Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
> I would like to purchase an external hard drive to use for Vista Back Ups.
> Several people have recommended Western Digital, but I'm not sure what model I
> should get. How many GB do I need? Do I need USB 2.0 and/or Foxwire? What will
> work well with Vista Home Premium and be easy to use (I've never used an
> external HDD previously)? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Cal Bear '66

Re: External Hard Drive
Firewire or IEEE 1394

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> Firewire
>
> "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to purchase an external hard drive to use for Vista Back Ups.
>> Several people have recommended Western Digital, but I'm not sure what model
>> I should get. How many GB do I need? Do I need USB 2.0 and/or Foxwire? What
>> will work well with Vista Home Premium and be easy to use (I've never used an
>> external HDD previously)? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

will_s

Re: External Hard Drive

"Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
> I would like to purchase an external hard drive to use for Vista Back
> Ups. Several people have recommended Western Digital, but I'm not sure
> what model I should get. How many GB do I need? Do I need USB 2.0 and/or
> Foxwire? What will work well with Vista Home Premium and be easy to use
> (I've never used an external HDD previously)? Any and all suggestions are
> appreciated.

I purchased a NexStar 3 external enclosure that had both USB and esata (
external sata ) connections. My motherboard has an external sata connector
on the back but if you dont it comes with a bracket . The thing is Vista
just sees it as another drive and its just as quick as any sata drive. It
also has a hard switch so you can turn it off or on as you like

I have put in a WD 250Gig hard drive in the enclosure but any will do a good
job .

Tiberius

Re: External Hard Drive
firefox wire.. lol

its a fence to keep the foxes out... trademark microsoft vista

lol

> Firewire or IEEE 1394
>

> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>> Firewire
>>
>> "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>>> I would like to purchase an external hard drive to use for Vista Back
>>> Ups. Several people have recommended Western Digital, but I'm not sure
>>> what model I should get. How many GB do I need? Do I need USB 2.0 and/or
>>> Foxwire? What will work well with Vista Home Premium and be easy to use
>>> (I've never used an external HDD previously)? Any and all suggestions
>>> are appreciated.

Rock

Re: External Hard Drive
"Ryka" wrote
> I would like to purchase an external hard drive to use for Vista Back
> Ups. Several people have recommended Western Digital, but I'm not sure
> what model I should get. How many GB do I need? Do I need USB 2.0 and/or
> Foxwire? What will work well with Vista Home Premium and be easy to use
> (I've never used an external HDD previously)? Any and all suggestions are
> appreciated.

I recommend you don't buy a commercially preassembled external hard drive.
You can put one together easily enough from a bare hard drive and an
external hard drive enclosure, for much less cost. These are readily
obtainable. USB is fine (btw it's Firewire, not Foxwire).

As to size, bigger is better. You can put together an external 320GB drive
using a Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM EIDE bare drive and a Kingwin
external drive enclosure for under $100 from Newegg.com.

Here are some links just to get you started.

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Michael Solomon

Re: External Hard Drive

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Ryka" wrote
>> I would like to purchase an external hard drive to use for Vista Back
>> Ups. Several people have recommended Western Digital, but I'm not sure
>> what model I should get. How many GB do I need? Do I need USB 2.0 and/or
>> Foxwire? What will work well with Vista Home Premium and be easy to use
>> (I've never used an external HDD previously)? Any and all suggestions are
>> appreciated.

> I recommend you don't buy a commercially preassembled external hard drive.
> You can put one together easily enough from a bare hard drive and an
> external hard drive enclosure, for much less cost. These are readily
> obtainable. USB is fine (btw it's Firewire, not Foxwire).
>
> As to size, bigger is better. You can put together an external 320GB
> drive using a Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM EIDE bare drive and a Kingwin
> external drive enclosure for under $100 from Newegg.com.
>
> Here are some links just to get you started.

> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock, the way external hard drive prices are falling, manufactured drives
can compete pretty well with enclosures:
http://tinyurl.com/39ever
http://tinyurl.com/2c6twb

And these are both 500GB with free shipping.
--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend

...winston

Re: External Hard Drive
Nice price, though I've seen too many preassembled drives with sealed cases
or the drive not capable of replacement without OEM repair or service. In
some cases worse than attempting a battery replacement on the original IPod.

Additionally the majority of included software is unnecessary and redundant
to the simple tasks needed and provided by Msft or Apple o/s's.

...winston

"Michael Solomon" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "Ryka" wrote
>>> I would like to purchase an external hard drive to use for Vista Back
>>> Ups. Several people have recommended Western Digital, but I'm not sure
>>> what model I should get. How many GB do I need? Do I need USB 2.0 and/or
>>> Foxwire? What will work well with Vista Home Premium and be easy to use
>>> (I've never used an external HDD previously)? Any and all suggestions
>>> are appreciated.

>> I recommend you don't buy a commercially preassembled external hard
>> drive. You can put one together easily enough from a bare hard drive and
>> an external hard drive enclosure, for much less cost. These are
>> readily obtainable. USB is fine (btw it's Firewire, not Foxwire).
>>
>> As to size, bigger is better. You can put together an external 320GB
>> drive using a Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM EIDE bare drive and a
>> Kingwin external drive enclosure for under $100 from Newegg.com.
>>
>> Here are some links just to get you started.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144392
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817146307
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

> Rock, the way external hard drive prices are falling, manufactured drives
> can compete pretty well with enclosures:
> http://tinyurl.com/39ever
> http://tinyurl.com/2c6twb
>
> And these are both 500GB with free shipping.
> --
> Michael Solomon
> Backup is a PC user's best friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Michael Solomon

Re: External Hard Drive

"...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message
> Nice price, though I've seen too many preassembled drives with sealed
> cases or the drive not capable of replacement without OEM repair or
> service. In some cases worse than attempting a battery replacement on the
> original IPod.
>
> Additionally the majority of included software is unnecessary and
> redundant to the simple tasks needed and provided by Msft or Apple o/s's.
>
> ...winston
>
> >> --

>> Michael Solomon
>> Backup is a PC user's best friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Agreed, but at these prices, it's not much different than the price of just
replacing the hard drive in an enclosure.

Agreed on the software as well, Winston. It's a nice little extra and for
some without such 3rd party apps, they may get a nice backup program out of
it (One of my drives) came with "Retrospective Backup) but as you say, most
tasks can be handled by the OS.
--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

...winston

Re: External Hard Drive
'Retrospective Backup'
The person who coined that must have grown up in the '60's.

Nice seeing you around !!!

Are you dual booting and/or using WLMD on Vista ?