Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Control Panel

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007
Rachysunshine
 

Posts: n/a
Control Panel
Control panel will not open. My OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit. This began
this morning 5/25/07 after my son installed action replay. I deleted the
program and restarted but control panel will still not open. Tried to do a
system restore but it keeps giving me an error that the system restore could
not be completed. Can anyone help me before I throw this computer out the
window (pardon the cliche)?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007
Dave
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Control Panel
Do a system restore, and select the one before he installed that program

Click on the Start button, and type System Restore... it takes a while to
come up.



"Rachysunshine" <Rachysunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FE10F7EF-E9D3-47A3-B3A7-1DDE3C1584E1@microsoft.com...
> Control panel will not open. My OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit. This
> began
> this morning 5/25/07 after my son installed action replay. I deleted the
> program and restarted but control panel will still not open. Tried to do
> a
> system restore but it keeps giving me an error that the system restore
> could
> not be completed. Can anyone help me before I throw this computer out the
> window (pardon the cliche)?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007
Dave
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Control Panel
Never mind... I see that you already tried that....



"Dave" <dave@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
news:%23PCp8OxnHHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Do a system restore, and select the one before he installed that program
>
> Click on the Start button, and type System Restore... it takes a while to
> come up.
>
>
>
> "Rachysunshine" <Rachysunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FE10F7EF-E9D3-47A3-B3A7-1DDE3C1584E1@microsoft.com...
>> Control panel will not open. My OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit. This
>> began
>> this morning 5/25/07 after my son installed action replay. I deleted the
>> program and restarted but control panel will still not open. Tried to do
>> a
>> system restore but it keeps giving me an error that the system restore
>> could
>> not be completed. Can anyone help me before I throw this computer out
>> the
>> window (pardon the cliche)?

>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2007
LoneStar
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Control Panel

"Rachysunshine" <Rachysunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FE10F7EF-E9D3-47A3-B3A7-1DDE3C1584E1@microsoft.com...
> Control panel will not open. My OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit. This
> began
> this morning 5/25/07 after my son installed action replay. I deleted the
> program and restarted but control panel will still not open. Tried to do
> a
> system restore but it keeps giving me an error that the system restore
> could
> not be completed. Can anyone help me before I throw this computer out the
> window (pardon the cliche)?


OK, now I'm curious. Occasionally, my Control Panel won't open either.
Usually a reboot fixes it, or a System restore. HOWEVER, I found later that
in addition to Control Panel not opening, LOTS of other stuff doesn't
either: my Windows Aero doesn't, most of the MS games won't open, Windows
Update from the taskbar won't open, and the printer won't connect. But I
get great Internet, Office suite works as does most of the rest of my
installations. This all happened suddenly, and I did NOTHING wrong!

So............. in addition to the Control Panel, check to see if ALL you
other stuff is working. Lemme know. Thanks.

EW


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2007
Rachysunshine
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Control Panel
Tried all those and they all work. All these problems give me such a
headache. I hate vista!

"LoneStar" wrote:

>
> "Rachysunshine" <Rachysunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FE10F7EF-E9D3-47A3-B3A7-1DDE3C1584E1@microsoft.com...
> > Control panel will not open. My OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit. This
> > began
> > this morning 5/25/07 after my son installed action replay. I deleted the
> > program and restarted but control panel will still not open. Tried to do
> > a
> > system restore but it keeps giving me an error that the system restore
> > could
> > not be completed. Can anyone help me before I throw this computer out the
> > window (pardon the cliche)?

>
> OK, now I'm curious. Occasionally, my Control Panel won't open either.
> Usually a reboot fixes it, or a System restore. HOWEVER, I found later that
> in addition to Control Panel not opening, LOTS of other stuff doesn't
> either: my Windows Aero doesn't, most of the MS games won't open, Windows
> Update from the taskbar won't open, and the printer won't connect. But I
> get great Internet, Office suite works as does most of the rest of my
> installations. This all happened suddenly, and I did NOTHING wrong!
>
> So............. in addition to the Control Panel, check to see if ALL you
> other stuff is working. Lemme know. Thanks.
>
> EW
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2007
doubledragon5
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Control Panel
You might want to try and do a reinstall of Vista itself.. I know this sounds
like a pain, but might be your only solution to fixing the problem.. Vista is
not bad in fact I like it better than XP (never thought I say that).. Over
time Vista will come out with soulutions to most Vista related problems and
it will work fine.. My other suggestion would be to over see what the son
installs before he does it...

"Rachysunshine" wrote:

> Tried all those and they all work. All these problems give me such a
> headache. I hate vista!
>
> "LoneStar" wrote:
>
> >
> > "Rachysunshine" <Rachysunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:FE10F7EF-E9D3-47A3-B3A7-1DDE3C1584E1@microsoft.com...
> > > Control panel will not open. My OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit. This
> > > began
> > > this morning 5/25/07 after my son installed action replay. I deleted the
> > > program and restarted but control panel will still not open. Tried to do
> > > a
> > > system restore but it keeps giving me an error that the system restore
> > > could
> > > not be completed. Can anyone help me before I throw this computer out the
> > > window (pardon the cliche)?

> >
> > OK, now I'm curious. Occasionally, my Control Panel won't open either.
> > Usually a reboot fixes it, or a System restore. HOWEVER, I found later that
> > in addition to Control Panel not opening, LOTS of other stuff doesn't
> > either: my Windows Aero doesn't, most of the MS games won't open, Windows
> > Update from the taskbar won't open, and the printer won't connect. But I
> > get great Internet, Office suite works as does most of the rest of my
> > installations. This all happened suddenly, and I did NOTHING wrong!
> >
> > So............. in addition to the Control Panel, check to see if ALL you
> > other stuff is working. Lemme know. Thanks.
> >
> > EW
> >
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2007
LoneStar
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Control Panel

"Rachysunshine" <Rachysunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:07996DD7-6361-4135-B563-14301F474B7B@microsoft.com...
> Tried all those and they all work. All these problems give me such a
> headache. I hate vista!
>
> "LoneStar" wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> OK, now I'm curious. Occasionally, my Control Panel won't open either.
>> Usually a reboot fixes it, or a System restore. HOWEVER, I found later
>> that
>> in addition to Control Panel not opening, LOTS of other stuff doesn't
>> either: my Windows Aero doesn't, most of the MS games won't open, Windows
>> Update from the taskbar won't open, and the printer won't connect. But I
>> get great Internet, Office suite works as does most of the rest of my
>> installations. This all happened suddenly, and I did NOTHING wrong!
>>
>> So............. in addition to the Control Panel, check to see if ALL you
>> other stuff is working. Lemme know. Thanks.
>>
>> EW
>>
>>
>>


Update: I may have found my problem! I had an old flash drive installed in
a USB port that died occasionally. I removed it from the port and for the
past few days my Vista has booted up great. Now.......... how a bad USB
drive can affect opening the Control Panel, etc., is beyond me, but....
whatever works. Stay tuned, and good luck with yours.

EW


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2007
Paul
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Control Panel
"LoneStar" <ewyatt_del_me@excite.com> wrote in message
news:465b68e4$0$97240$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
>
> "Rachysunshine" <Rachysunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:07996DD7-6361-4135-B563-14301F474B7B@microsoft.com...
>> Tried all those and they all work. All these problems give me such a
>> headache. I hate vista!
>>
>> "LoneStar" wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> OK, now I'm curious. Occasionally, my Control Panel won't open either.
>>> Usually a reboot fixes it, or a System restore. HOWEVER, I found later
>>> that
>>> in addition to Control Panel not opening, LOTS of other stuff doesn't
>>> either: my Windows Aero doesn't, most of the MS games won't open,
>>> Windows
>>> Update from the taskbar won't open, and the printer won't connect. But
>>> I
>>> get great Internet, Office suite works as does most of the rest of my
>>> installations. This all happened suddenly, and I did NOTHING wrong!
>>>
>>> So............. in addition to the Control Panel, check to see if ALL
>>> you
>>> other stuff is working. Lemme know. Thanks.
>>>
>>> EW
>>>
>>>
>>>

>
> Update: I may have found my problem! I had an old flash drive installed
> in a USB port that died occasionally. I removed it from the port and for
> the past few days my Vista has booted up great. Now.......... how a bad
> USB drive can affect opening the Control Panel, etc., is beyond me,
> but.... whatever works. Stay tuned, and good luck with yours.


Well while I was trying to get Vista to stop showing the cursor wheel all
the time I found that if the internet link was playing up, i.e. the router
lights froze, the machine stopped too. This happened so often over half an
hour I became convinced the machine needed a fluid network connection to
work properly. However since adding RAM this behaviour has gone away.
Vista truly is a strange beast.

Paul


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2007
LoneStar
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Control Panel

"Paul" <pbird@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:5c17s9F2v2763U1@mid.individual.net...
> "LoneStar" <ewyatt_del_me@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:465b68e4$0$97240$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
>>
>> "Rachysunshine" <Rachysunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:07996DD7-6361-4135-B563-14301F474B7B@microsoft.com...
>>> Tried all those and they all work. All these problems give me such a
>>> headache. I hate vista!
>>>
>>> "LoneStar" wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> OK, now I'm curious. Occasionally, my Control Panel won't open either.
>>>> Usually a reboot fixes it, or a System restore. HOWEVER, I found later
>>>> that
>>>> in addition to Control Panel not opening, LOTS of other stuff doesn't
>>>> either: my Windows Aero doesn't, most of the MS games won't open,
>>>> Windows
>>>> Update from the taskbar won't open, and the printer won't connect. But
>>>> I
>>>> get great Internet, Office suite works as does most of the rest of my
>>>> installations. This all happened suddenly, and I did NOTHING wrong!
>>>>
>>>> So............. in addition to the Control Panel, check to see if ALL
>>>> you
>>>> other stuff is working. Lemme know. Thanks.
>>>>
>>>> EW
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>

>>
>> Update: I may have found my problem! I had an old flash drive installed
>> in a USB port that died occasionally. I removed it from the port and for
>> the past few days my Vista has booted up great. Now.......... how a bad
>> USB drive can affect opening the Control Panel, etc., is beyond me,
>> but.... whatever works. Stay tuned, and good luck with yours.

>
> Well while I was trying to get Vista to stop showing the cursor wheel all
> the time I found that if the internet link was playing up, i.e. the router
> lights froze, the machine stopped too. This happened so often over half
> an hour I became convinced the machine needed a fluid network connection
> to work properly. However since adding RAM this behaviour has gone away.
> Vista truly is a strange beast.
>
> Paul
>


Strange, indeed. But it seems like most of the "problems" with Vista are
really extraneous problems with associated software and hardware. Windows
XP is solid as a rock, and the Vista dudes should have studied this. My
Vista is now solid too, but for how long. My XP has been rock-solid for
years.

I'm looking forward to Vista SP-1 and see what improves.

Must go. Supper is ready...........

EW


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2007
Rachysunshine
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Control Panel
Does anyone happen to know how to rollback to xp? that just sounds like the
best solution for me. I keep trying all your suggestions but to no avail.

"LoneStar" wrote:

>
> "Paul" <pbird@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:5c17s9F2v2763U1@mid.individual.net...
> > "LoneStar" <ewyatt_del_me@excite.com> wrote in message
> > news:465b68e4$0$97240$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
> >>
> >> "Rachysunshine" <Rachysunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:07996DD7-6361-4135-B563-14301F474B7B@microsoft.com...
> >>> Tried all those and they all work. All these problems give me such a
> >>> headache. I hate vista!
> >>>
> >>> "LoneStar" wrote:
> >>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> OK, now I'm curious. Occasionally, my Control Panel won't open either.
> >>>> Usually a reboot fixes it, or a System restore. HOWEVER, I found later
> >>>> that
> >>>> in addition to Control Panel not opening, LOTS of other stuff doesn't
> >>>> either: my Windows Aero doesn't, most of the MS games won't open,
> >>>> Windows
> >>>> Update from the taskbar won't open, and the printer won't connect. But
> >>>> I
> >>>> get great Internet, Office suite works as does most of the rest of my
> >>>> installations. This all happened suddenly, and I did NOTHING wrong!
> >>>>
> >>>> So............. in addition to the Control Panel, check to see if ALL
> >>>> you
> >>>> other stuff is working. Lemme know. Thanks.
> >>>>
> >>>> EW
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>
> >> Update: I may have found my problem! I had an old flash drive installed
> >> in a USB port that died occasionally. I removed it from the port and for
> >> the past few days my Vista has booted up great. Now.......... how a bad
> >> USB drive can affect opening the Control Panel, etc., is beyond me,
> >> but.... whatever works. Stay tuned, and good luck with yours.

> >
> > Well while I was trying to get Vista to stop showing the cursor wheel all
> > the time I found that if the internet link was playing up, i.e. the router
> > lights froze, the machine stopped too. This happened so often over half
> > an hour I became convinced the machine needed a fluid network connection
> > to work properly. However since adding RAM this behaviour has gone away.
> > Vista truly is a strange beast.
> >
> > Paul
> >

>
> Strange, indeed. But it seems like most of the "problems" with Vista are
> really extraneous problems with associated software and hardware. Windows
> XP is solid as a rock, and the Vista dudes should have studied this. My
> Vista is now solid too, but for how long. My XP has been rock-solid for
> years.
>
> I'm looking forward to Vista SP-1 and see what improves.
>
> Must go. Supper is ready...........
>
> EW
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Control panel is gone. =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmU1OQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 03-25-2008 14:35
control panel =?Utf-8?B?cmViZWNjYXc=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 5 04-21-2007 16:18
control panel =?Utf-8?B?c3RhcnJ5aWRlc3VycHJpeg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-14-2007 03:22
Control Panel =?Utf-8?B?R2lhbmNhcmxvIE1lcmNhZGFudGU=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 02-28-2007 17:50
control panel =?Utf-8?B?U3RhY2V5?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 02-19-2007 06:18




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:06.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120