Setting base priority persistently or shortcut

GregcGen

Setting base priority persistently or shortcut
I'm running Vista Business, core duo 1.8, 1GB RAM on a Dell notebook.

I am often running VMWare, which spawns several other processes. I want them
all to run a HIGH base priority.

Some of the processes are automatically kicked off with High priority now,
but many of them start as "normal."

Is there any way to set up specific programs to run at elevated priority?
Via configuration, registry, shortcut, etc?

Thanks,

Greg C
Rick Rogers

Re: Setting base priority persistently or shortcut
Hi Greg,

No, you have to manually reset the priority each time. The program would
need to be rewritten to change the default priority settings.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"GregcGen" <GregcGen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB94335E-DDB9-4682-BFAA-FDBB70AC22EC@microsoft.com...
> I'm running Vista Business, core duo 1.8, 1GB RAM on a Dell notebook.
>
> I am often running VMWare, which spawns several other processes. I want
> them
> all to run a HIGH base priority.
>
> Some of the processes are automatically kicked off with High priority now,
> but many of them start as "normal."
>
> Is there any way to set up specific programs to run at elevated priority?
> Via configuration, registry, shortcut, etc?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg C

GregcGen

Re: Setting base priority persistently or shortcut
Thanks for the response, Rick

Is there any way to change base priority via script or a seperate program?
(i.e. change BP for currently-running programs with image name "vmware.exe",
etc)
I DO have VS 2005 still in its box

Greg C

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> No, you have to manually reset the priority each time. The program would
> need to be rewritten to change the default priority settings.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "GregcGen" <GregcGen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsB94335E-DDB9-4682-BFAA-FDBB70AC22EC@microsoft.com...
> > I'm running Vista Business, core duo 1.8, 1GB RAM on a Dell notebook.
> >
> > I am often running VMWare, which spawns several other processes. I want
> > them
> > all to run a HIGH base priority.
> >
> > Some of the processes are automatically kicked off with High priority now,
> > but many of them start as "normal."
> >
> > Is there any way to set up specific programs to run at elevated priority?
> > Via configuration, registry, shortcut, etc?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Greg C

Rick Rogers

Re: Setting base priority persistently or shortcut
Hi Greg,

There are tools like this one: http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html that can do
that for you, so it certainly can be done. I'm not familiar enough with the
requirements to write one of my own.